Can this batch be saved?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
So my first attempt at crash chilling in primary didn't really go according to plan. The temp controller showed the fermenting fridge at 3.5 deg and the samples I pulled off we're crystal clear. Only problem was the sheet of ice that had formed on the back/inside of the fermenter when I pulled it out to bottle it. The ice broke off and started floating in the beer about an hour ago and still hasn't melted. The beer sample I just took is 4 deg. I figure once it all melts it should be beer again and the alcohol content won't have changed.

Unfortunately, I don't keg and can't force carbonate it. Am I right in thinking that the yeast may be affected and may not ferment/carb in the bottle? Even after living in the UK for a few years I still prefer fizzy beer!

As I see it, my options are:

- wait for ice to melt, bottle as normal
- wait for ice to melt, stir up yeast cake, bottle as normal
- throw the whole batch :-(

I'm planning on proceeding with option 1. Any one want to weigh in?

Yeast will be fine. Option one as oldmate said above.

Yeah go with option one ,but get some dry yeast and I know its been a bit fussy but put about three or so dry grains in each bottle for insurance.

Ok, thanks guys. The ice still hasn't melted so I'll put it back in the fermentation fridge, set the temp to 18 and leave the bottling for another day. Fingers crossed.

thebigwilk said:
Yeah go with option one ,but get some dry yeast and I know its been a bit fussy but put about three or so dry grains in each bottle for insurance.
yeah agree with this .

ALSO....... GO THE DONS!!! 2014 :) :kooi:

Latest posts

Back