Can Re Cultured Coopers Yeast Impart Off Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
I just had a though about some re cultured yeast I have going, just sitting in the laundry. Although it is a small amount compared to a 23L brew, would it impart off or funky flavours if the re culturing part of it was too high? No infection or anything.

I have it at about 26 I guess in the laundry. :huh: I can dunk it into my laundry tub with a fermenter in there at 16~18 or will that be too cool for it? Mind you, it's on it's fourth day and I intend to add 600mls more to it on Tuesday, ready for a Thursday brew and use.

at that temp 26 degrees it will throw a bit of bannana flavour good results are at 18 degrees with it

Franko

you could always alow it to ferment out, then crash chill, so that you can pour off the excess liquid.

I fermented a Sparkling Ale kit plus 1.5kg LDME and 300g Dextrose with a recultured Coopers yeast...pitched the day before the heat-wave hit :ph34r:

I could only get it to ferment at 21~23'C so decided to let it run at that and be done with it. I was planning a nice 16-17'C ferment.

End story is that a month later it tastes alright. Definitely not like a 'proper' Coopers though, more like a Hefe-Weissen, with banana coming through fairly strong and a hint of clove in the backgound. Wonderful beer IMO, I'd all but written it off!

Don't be discouraged. Even the most 'botched' beers can be salvaged with a bit of time. Like a quaffer I did last year at 24-25'C in a similar situation. Unbearable at 2 to 3 weeks, but come the fourth and subsequent weeks the rpeviously harsh bitterness and awkward taste had mellowed into a decent beer. Not the best, but certainly enjoyable.

Hope all goes well - boingk

EDIT: Just saw its only a starter. You'll be fine. Listen to Butters and pour off the wort from the starter and top with water. Add the yeast/water combo to pitch and you'll be fine.

Thanks fellas. Yes - just the starter is at room temp. I now have it ( the starter ) sitting on top of the fermenter. The fermenter is wrapped in a towel in 17 deg water. I'm keeping the towel wet and the starter sits on the wet towel - seems to be working quite well.

I'll fridge it the night before after pouring off the wort and top up with some water before pitching into a CPA clone.

Sweet. :rolleyes:

PS: So even though if fermented too high the spent yeast will not impart banana etc flavours next use. It's only the resultant wort that carrys over the flavours?

If seperating the wort from the yeast, it should be fermented out fully first, so the yeast can build up it's glycogen at the end of the ferment cycle. Jamil goes into detail in the last half of his q&a here

edit: and here, he says
If you run your starters warmer, make sure you let them ferment out fully, let the yeast drop to the bottom, chill to the appropriate temperature, then pitch just the yeast.

This is the method I use...warm propogation, with shaking every time I go by.....attenuate it fully, let it drop, then either a/just pitch the yeast, or b/do the final step up using wort from the brew (as opposed to just a generic wort). If I do b/, then I do the last stage at around ferment temp.

Thanks for that Butters, as we speak I've got a litre of US 05 on the go at about 24 degrees and was just going to throw it all in this afternoon, but I'll do as suggested and let it ferment right out.

PS off topic, didn't use the Carafa T3.... the wort was as amber as the stuff in Jurassic Park ;)

As usual, no problem goes unanswered longer than half an hour or until butters next login.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Back