Can I Use This Urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawned

Reaction score
I just won a 45ltr urn off ebay, but i have a feeling im not going to be able to use it.. The earth part of the plug is huuuuuuge, and it says it is 250v - 15a so is there any way i can change the plug to use the urn? or am i better of getting rid of it?

DSCF0830.jpg

DSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0828.jpg

It just sounds like a standard 15A plug. You gotta spend a couple of hundred bux and get a 20A circuit put in.

Bugger.. I was hoping that wasnt going to be the case :( I only rent the place i live at and i dont know how much longer we will be here.. dont want to spend lots of money on someone else's house :p

Might have to chuck the urn back up on ebay or find out if anyone on here can ue it

I had an electrician make me an extension chord 1m long, 15A female one end 10A male on the other, even tagged it for me. It didn't sound right to me, but he said this was legal to use.
If you start blowing fuses may need to rethink, don't use the oven at the same time. All points are RCD protected these days, especially in a rental.
If you buy a 15A extension chord and take it to an electrician it might save you a few bucks.
Don't grind down the Earth plug to make it fit.
Electricians out there could either confirm or deny.

I had an electrician make me an extension chord 1m long, 15A female one end 10A male on the other, even tagged it for me. It didn't sound right to me, but he said this was legal to use.
If you start blowing fuses may need to rethink, don't use the oven at the same time. All points are RCD protected these days, especially in a rental.
If you buy a 15A extension chord and take it to an electrician it might save you a few bucks.
Don't grind down the Earth plug to make it fit.
Electricians out there could either confirm or deny.

Cheers mate, I think i will give that a shot. One of my mates called one of his sparky friends and they told him to jam it into a 10A double adaptor then into the wall.. It seems to be boiling now and the power hasnt even gone out! Will be going to get a 15A female/10A male extension lead made up tomorrow :)

Mates idea was sillly.. It was working, but after 20 mins plugged into the wall the cord was really hot, if i left it for much longer it would probably melt the socket! Will getting the 15A female/10A male extension lead do the same thing?

God knows I wouldn't tag a lead like that, but hypothetically, if one was to do such a thing make sure you buy a lead which is rated at 15A, bunning's usually sell them with 10A plugs on them ( I mean they will say 15A rated, not every lead they sell). Using a cheap woolies lead may leave you in trouble, especially while its trying to get to boil. You may still find that you'll trip the circut, depending on what else is on it. And get rid of that double adaptor. If you're gonna persist on using it in this way, make sure nothing else is plugged in on that circut

Geezz the thing to worry about is not the heat of the extension cord. but the heat of the wiring that is travelling through the walls and roof etc.. fire waiting to happen

At the end of the day the "earth" plug does nothing(yes it does something, but the reason the plug is larger is just to stop you jamming it in a 10amp socket.). the other two pins take the load.

Well i guess i will sell it to someone that can actually use it :) Im not going to spend money on a 20A circut in someone else's house. Thanks for the help guys

Looks like a beauty though. 45 Liter would be tops. It may be possible to have a smaller 2400W element fitted to it, would cost about $40 for the part I think.

Don't ovens/ranges run on 20/30amp circuits? Try unplugging that (if accessible) and there's your 20amp circuit!*

*May be the worst advice you've ever received...

Ovens are generally hardwired, on their own circut, and not RCD protected. Not really an option. I'd still hang onto it though, depending on how old the switchboard is, it's a pretty simple thing to put a 15A outlet next to it. it may not work at your current house, but maybe the next one?

Hey prawned, I'm happy to look after it for you until you move out of the rental. :D

Seriously.

Cheers,

GT

Funnily enough a WCB'er asked me about an urn like this the other day, the nameplate shows a 3.6kW element so based on 240VAC mains power it will draw about 15 Amps (3600W / 240V = 15A), the normal household power circuit has a 16A fuse or circuit breaker so theoretically could handle it unless there are a lot of other large devices plugged into the same circuit. If your mains voltage is low then it will draw more Amps. A normal 10A rated extension lead will not work so whatever plug you fit you still need a heavy duty lead with cable that is at least 1.5mm squared in cross sectional area, most of the leads that are rated for "construction site" use tend to have the heavier cable. And as has been said above it is pretty easy to fit a smaller element into it, the element is a "Langco" type from looking at it.
Don't sell it an urn like that as it is a "beautiful thing" and is very handy in the brewhouse.

Funnily enough a WCB'er asked me about an urn like this the other day, the nameplate shows a 3.6kW element so based on 240VAC mains power it will draw about 15 Amps (3600W / 240V = 15A), the normal household power circuit has a 16A fuse or circuit breaker so theoretically could handle it unless there are a lot of other large devices plugged into the same circuit. If your mains voltage is low then it will draw more Amps. A normal 10A rated extension lead will not work so whatever plug you fit you still need a heavy duty lead with cable that is at least 1.5mm squared in cross sectional area, most of the leads that are rated for "construction site" use tend to have the heavier cable. And as has been said above it is pretty easy to fit a smaller element into it, the element is a "Langco" type from looking at it.
Don't sell it an urn like that as it is a "beautiful thing" and is very handy in the brewhouse.

I know its a beautiful thing :D Been searching for atleast 6 months for one of these! Came very close to wacking a brand new 40ltr birko on the CC in the weekend.. but i couldnt really justify spending $550 on it. Where abouts do elements come from? and can shops fit them for me? (bit of a tool tard here) The only ones ive seen are the ones at G&G and they seem a bit too expensive for me.. plus i would have to try to fit it myself!

So why not file it down? I just got a hot tub yesterday with a 15amp socket and thats exactly what I did. Each circuit seems to have a 20amp fuse in the power box so I thought it was a low risk manouvre?? But there is other stuff on the circuit, because I went to make a coffee at the same time and that tripped it.

I already use my brew kettle (old urn like the one you mention) and it also says 3.6kw but has 10amp lead. I use this with a double adapter with an immersion element at the same time.

So why not file it down? I just got a hot tub yesterday with a 15amp socket and thats exactly what I did. Each circuit seems to have a 20amp fuse in the power box so I thought it was a low risk manouvre?? But there is other stuff on the circuit, because I went to make a coffee at the same time and that tripped it.

I already use my brew kettle (old urn like the one you mention) and it also says 3.6kw but has 10amp lead. I use this with a double adapter with an immersion element at the same time.

I would be very hesitant to do anything crazy sounding like this.

Get a sparkie to solve the issue for you, you rarely get seconds chances which it comes to be electrocuted so don't be hasty!!!

Pok

Guys, :angry:

I've said this once before and I'll keep hammering it through you.. The amp rating on circuit a breaker in a switch board is to protect that whole circuits wiring. It may be 16A but that circuit breaker and wiring are supplying multiple 10A outlets. Those outlets are only rated at 10A.
Don't file earth pins down ! Dont get "Special leads" made. If you do, when your house burns down, don't expect insurance..
Copper is expensive so the ratings really are on the money..

Possible solutions..
-Put a smaller rated element in, 2400W is the largest you could run on a standard outlet..
-Maybe tell your land lord you need a 15A outlet for a clothes dryer?
-Gas? I know it seems such a waste to put a burner under that lovely urn but you can get heaps of KW's out of gas burners
-Find a mate with adequate power, throw him a few beers..

Cheers,
Sparky Jonathon.

I would be very hesitant to do anything crazy sounding like this.

Get a sparkie to solve the issue for you, you rarely get seconds chances which it comes to be electrocuted so don't be hasty!!!

Pok

I know what you mean.. Its off to search for a 2400w hand held element tomorrow, will cost a bit more.. but is far less effort!

Latest posts

Back