Can I Use This Urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean.. Its off to search for a 2400w hand held element tomorrow, will cost a bit more.. but is far less effort!

You should be able to get your hands on an element fairly easily and removing the old one shouldn't be too hard. You may aswell just replace the old one, will most prob cost less and will be permanently fixed.

From memory a few AHB members have had luck with hot water service elements. I got my element from my LHBS so that is an option aswell.

Just keep yourself safe!!!

Pok

I'm really getting sick of bush mechanics giving seriously dangerous advice to people working with 240V. If you don't know what you're talking about, or, worse yet, you do know what you're talking about and are telling them to do things which are illegal and dangerous anyway, do everyone a favour and shut the hell up. The idiots suggesting to file down pins, or jam plugs into double adaptors, or bodge up 10-15A leads WILL get someone killed if they continue the way they are. No, I'm not saying the sky is falling because I'm a paranoid wuss - I am a paranoid wuss, but that's because I know precisely what can happen when people who don't know anything about electricity are guided by other people who don't know anything about electricity.

EDIT: in this particular case, it's a 15A device which requires a 15A outlet. End of story. A 10A outlet, likely sharing a 16/20A circuit with numerous other 10A outlets is not rated to deliver that much current, and WILL overheat, potentially starting a fire. If a 15A outlet isn't available, the only way to get it working is to have an electrician install one. Fortunately it sounds like the OP has recognised that some of the advice he's been getting is stupid, and will be passing it on to someone else.

You should be able to get your hands on an element fairly easily and removing the old one shouldn't be too hard. You may aswell just replace the old one, will most prob cost less and will be permanently fixed.

From memory a few AHB members have had luck with hot water service elements. I got my element from my LHBS so that is an option aswell.

Just keep yourself safe!!!

Pok

Such a pity to butcher a perfectly good urn. I've offered to take it off the owners hands as I have no probs putting in a 20A circuit. Seems to me that if you're going to replace the element with a weaker one then why not go the whole hog and fit the new element into a new vessel.

Cheers mate, I think i will give that a shot. One of my mates called one of his sparky friends and they told him to jam it into a 10A double adaptor then into the wall.. It seems to be boiling now and the power hasnt even gone out! Will be going to get a 15A female/10A male extension lead made up tomorrow :)

Your "Sparky" friend needs to rescind his license. :eek:

Remember to get rid of the urn before making the insurance claim. I'm sure they will void your policy if they see a 15A appliance in a 10A socket.

As mentioned by others, why not change the element tp a 2400W unit and then legitimately run it of a 10A circuit?

Fester.

I'm really getting sick of bush mechanics giving seriously dangerous advice to people working with 240V. If you don't know what you're talking about, or, worse yet, you do know what you're talking about and are telling them to do things which are illegal and dangerous anyway, do everyone a favour and shut the hell up. The idiots suggesting to file down pins, or jam plugs into double adaptors, or bodge up 10-15A leads WILL get someone killed if they continue the way they are. No, I'm not saying the sky is falling because I'm a paranoid wuss - I am a paranoid wuss, but that's because I know precisely what can happen when people who don't know anything about electricity are guided by other people who don't know anything about electricity.

EDIT: in this particular case, it's a 15A device which requires a 15A outlet. End of story. A 10A outlet, likely sharing a 16/20A circuit with numerous other 10A outlets is not rated to deliver that much current, and WILL overheat, potentially starting a fire. If a 15A outlet isn't available, the only way to get it working is to have an electrician install one. Fortunately it sounds like the OP has recognised that some of the advice he's been getting is stupid, and will be passing it on to someone else.

I really have to agree 100% The heat caused by the extra current will ( and does...seen many times...)melt cheap extn leads. Double adapters and power boards should be BANNED in my book, as they lead to serious overloading...in act many workplaces ban them. A 15Amp Cct will use the same 2.5mm wire as 10Amp ccts, but only ONE SINGLE outlet is permitted on the cct.....be smart, either get a 15A cct or change the element. You will get no sympathy when your house burns down ( or you kill/mame/injure )trying to cut corners....they will hange you out to dry..

Rant over...

I just won a 45ltr urn off ebay, but i have a feeling im not going to be able to use it.. The earth part of the plug is huuuuuuge, and it says it is 250v - 15a so is there any way i can change the plug to use the urn? or am i better of getting rid of it?

DSCF0830.jpg

DSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0828.jpg

I think you would be better off to get rid of it. I will come round and take that dangerous thing off your hands immediately :p .
I have a 20l job I may swap

I think you would be better off to get rid of it. I will come round and take that dangerous thing off your hands immediately :p .
I have a 20l job I may swap

lol i probably would consider a swap.. 45ltrs is far too big for me, would have liked to find a 30ltr one.. but just happened to win this one :D

LethalCorpse, I don't think anyone was suggesting to others to do the dodgy things you mention. I did say that I have done such things myself, and I was asking for reasoning why I shouldn't do such things. I don't know anything about it. All three things you mention essentially achieve the same thing of putting all the load on the single outlet, yes?

I am still confused as to the fact that I could have two appliances that say require 9amp each running simultaneously off the same circuit/outlet and this is probably more than the device with 15amp connector. I've also seen links of power boards running about 20 outlets of appliances. This would put the same load on the originating outlet too? Why are power boards not illegal then if they create the same dangerous situation?

They don't create a dangerous situation if they're designed safely and used correctly. The ratings unfortunately require the user to apply common sense in not putting a bigger load than 10A on the outlet. Common sense isn't very common, though, and people regularly try to put a fridge, toaster, kettle and iron on the one outlet. A power board should have built in protection to prevent this from overloading the outlet, though this might be dodgy, missing, or circumvented by particularly adventurous lemmings. 20 devices on one outlet wouldn't be a problem if the total load was less than 10A, which is entirely possible if they're small loads. Anyway, generally things are set up to prevent you from attaching a load which is greater than the ratings of all components upstream. Just because it's sometimes possible to do it anyway doesn't mean that you should - you have some responsibility for your own safety, compliance with the law and protection of your property.

If you read back through the posts above, all of the dodgy things I mentioned were suggested. It's irresponsible and dangerous and, as I said, I'm getting sick of it.

Back