Can I make mash pot for biab out of copper hot system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabre

Reaction score
Hi all I am going to start to get the gear together to biab over the next few months I was just wondering if I could use an old copper hot water system if I cut the top out as a mash pot it's a 160ltr looking at doing 50lts finish brews Cheers kapo

Should be doable

copper mash tun.jpg

Got any photos of it to post? Just because it sounds cool.

Looking forward to the yes,no,maybes on this , I have 2 copper inserts from old " coppers" ( old laundry boilers) , have many ideas for them but don't want to start carving them up with no thought.
I have given some thought to maybe putting some sort of lid on them and making a mash tun or fermenter.
Cheers....spog...

I don't see anything wrong with copper although I`d imagine it would be relatively heavy. I would be seeing how much money you would get in scrap first!.....might just pay for a stainless system

The copper it's self isn't as heavy as you would expect and $ wise it's just not worth the trouble here as we get SFA for such things,but a lot more in Adelaide.
The copper is too valuable to recycle in that it has so many other possible uses in a home brewing sense.
Cheers....spog..

Last time I checked clean copper such as this was fetching $9 a kilo. In fact there's not a plumber I know who doesn't pay for the company Christmas party on the back of copper scrap.

Reminds me, there's a big copper HWS sitting in my roof cavity that I need to cut up. I would've used it for brewing but didn't want to cut any rafters to get it out. Any ideas as to the best way to remove it? I was thinking tin snips and a hacksaw.

The only problem I could see with having a copper brew rig is the enormous erection you will get every time you look at it.

Camo6 said:
Reminds me, there's a big copper HWS sitting in my roof cavity that I need to cut up. I would've used it for brewing but didn't want to cut any rafters to get it out. Any ideas as to the best way to remove it? I was thinking tin snips and a hacksaw.
Tin roof: ie 1200 mm rafter centres with 1000mm purlin centres ( older house), cut the outer casing away and remove the insulation then remove a sheet or 2 and all should be good.

Tiled roof : 600 mm rafter centres,remove tiles and cut the battens along side of the rafters rip the HWS out ,fix blocks under the cuts on the battens,refix and relay the tiles.
Of you don't want the heater in one piece then get stuck into it with tin snips,FFS don't use a grinder in the roof space.
Cheers...spog...

spog said:
FFS don't use a grinder in the roof space.
Pffft. As if. Plasma cutter's heaps quicker.

Bit of warm vinegar or even starsan solution will remove oxides. I believe sod. percarbonate can be used as a cleaner so theoretically it shouldn't be stupidly different.

brew lots to stop the green tinge coming...

some systems have a stainless tank in them (i think some edwards HWS do)

There will be soldered seams in the vessel so you will have research what they have used. Could have a high lead content.

nathan_madness said:
There will be soldered seams in the vessel so you will have research what they have used. Could have a high lead content.

eh, just name your brewery 'Heavy Metal Brewery' and embrace it :)

I've actually been keeping my eye out for an old copper laundry kettle. I'd go for it, heeding the good advice about doing some research on the solder.

Back