Can I make mash pot for biab out of copper hot system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep
all good
funny you mention this...

I finally got to post my copper (HWS) Braumiser tonight

cleaning is not an issue ... like Maheel said ... keep brewing, no green

While there is a chance that you could dissolve some of the lead in the solder (if they used lead solder) due to the low pH and high temps ...

"Scientific data indicate that the newer the home, the greater the risk of lead contamination. Lead concentrations decrease as a building ages. This is because, as time passes, mineral deposits form a coating on the inside of the pipes (if the water is not corrosive). This coating insulates the water from the solder."

I look at this way, I only brew heavy beers. :D

Hi AHB,
I was lucky enough to get an old Malleys boiler from the in laws,it used to be used by wives Grandfather
an englishman, to brew beer.It was in working condition with a valve and about 60litre capacity,i brushed
off the cobwebs gave it a clean and sanitize but havent used it as yet.The tub looks stainless steel not tin
coated copper,maybe this was a later model?I have fabricated a grain container with legs to fit inside and
am itching to give it a go.I currently BIAB with a 40litre Crown urn,the Malleys pot allows me to do 40L batches.

082.JPG083.JPG.

Some photos,

Im a bit slow with the pictures new to this site.l will put up some photos of malt chamber,some
of my photo files are too big.

Here are photos of inside no green tinge anywhere,so this is either syainless steel or lin lined copper,

but i thought there would be some traces of oxidisation (green tinge) on the inside of tub.I replaced the old

copper 3/4 inch pipe underneath with a new stainless steel pipe.I have two lines coming in from a pump,one

is to circulate the wort around the element and one to pump through the grain,i will post photos of malt pipe soon

but its a simple stainless bucket aprox 10kg grain capacity with a perforated floor .

090.JPG

that malleys looks SS to me as they did make some in SS

Latest posts

Back