Can I Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loot

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently jumped into brewing my own beer. I have a question regarding the SG of by first batch. I am brewing Morgans Blue Mountain Lager with 1kg of dextrose. My initial sg reading on 31/12/2010 was 1.039. Everything has been progressing well however the manufacturers instructions say that the SG should be 1.005 to proceed with bottling. I have been getting SG readings of 1.010 for the last three days.

Is it safe to go ahead and bottle as the bach has been fermenting for a week now and the SG seems to have stopped dropping. My concern is exploding bottles.

Thanks

Looks pretty good to me but your brew will benefit from a few more days at ferment temps anyway.

Flame proof suit on..

I never look at SG - can't remember the last time I did, must be 10+ years ago. But I always leave in fermentor for a minimum 2 weeks (sometimes longer - 3 or 4 weeks if I am too busy) - helps clear the beer a bit and develop the tast - my 2c worth.

Try using belgian saison yeast or a good UK liquid yeast and relying on weeks.

What works for you works for you and you should know the way your beer behaves after all this time but it's not good advice for a new brewer. Get to know the process properly then decide for yourself what shortcuts you can make.

Flame proof suit on..

I never look at SG - can't remember the last time I did, must be 10+ years ago. But I always leave in fermentor for a minimum 2 weeks (sometimes longer - 3 or 4 weeks if I am too busy) - helps clear the beer a bit and develop the tast - my 2c worth.

That comes with experience and knowledge of your ferments. I tend to do the same leave the beer in fermenter but usually take SG reading just before bottling out of curiosity. If you are in a hurry to get bottling I would recommend the three reading three day rule to avoid possible bottle bombs.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, I tested the SG last night and it was still at 1.010. After four days of similar readings I have gone ahead and bottled.

Fingers crossed.

i think it will be fine.. some of mine i have done will not go lower than 1016 for a lager.. after a few days..you'll know if it doesnt drop any more.

Back