Campfire Mega Jet Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Just back from a trip to Anaconda and i saw a Campfire Mega Jet Burner for $179 Says it's 104000BTUs
Anyone had any experience with these? They look like those turkey burners you see the American Brewers use

SGB04.jpg

Just back from a trip to Anaconda and i saw a Campfire Mega Jet Burner for $179 Says it's 104000BTUs
Anyone had any experience with these? They look like those turkey burners you see the American Brewers use

View attachment 40288
Price appears a bit rich, burners are good though -Cheers

View attachment 40288

Hey ya

I bought one of these a few months ago. I didn't pay that much for it though.

At first I was using a 3 ring burner and it just wouldn't boil 30L of wort but this thing will and then some :D

I saw in BCF they now have them for $149 at Cannon Hill in Brisbane no idea if that is close to you

Hey ya

At first I was using a 3 ring burner and it just wouldn't boil 30L of wort but this thing will and then some :D

I saw in BCF they now have them for $149 at Cannon Hill in Brisbane no idea if that is close to you

The BCF website does have them for $149, Id say Auburn in Sydney probably has them. How long does it take to get 30L to boil? The box said 1L per minute to boil, would you say u get this. How many brews you get from a 9kg gas bottle?
Cheers

Hey ya

I have a 4 ring burner but only use the inner 3 rings. Reason I got the 4 was so I could sit my keg on it for stability. I use the wide keg style cut a bit out the bottom to key into burner.
I have no worries getting a good rolling boil with only the 2nd smallest ring going. I do boil inside so no wind and the keg sits directly onto the burner no spacers.

my last boil was a BIAB, so starting at about 38L @ 66c it usually only took 15-20mins to get to full rolling boil.
From tap to 68c takes about 30-40 mins depending on amb temp and water temp, was mid June the last time I did a brew.
about the only thing I can say for sure it did what I needed in about half the time the 3 ring did it in.
Oh and it sounds like a mini jet engine lol

I have a 3 ring burner and have done plenty of 40L+ boils with no problems at all. Good rolling boil on either the outer two rings or the inner and outer rings.

I have a 3 ring burner and have done plenty of 40L+ boils with no problems at all. Good rolling boil on either the outer two rings or the inner and outer rings.

What type of regulator do you use?

Nath

What type of regulator do you use?

Nath

Just regular low pressure bbq jobbie. I have one set up on natural gas too (mains gas) which I think is marginally less powerful than the LPG one but still easily manages a rolling boil for ~40L on 2 rings.

Just regular low pressure bbq jobbie. I have one set up on natural gas too (mains gas) which I think is marginally less powerful than the LPG one but still easily manages a rolling boil for ~40L on 2 rings.

Great thanks TD!

I've been looking at one of those 3 or 4 ring cast burners you see on ebay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cast-Iron-3-Ring-Wo...g_BBQs_Cookware

is yours similar to this?

Cheers mate,

Nath

Exactly the same as that mate!

Cool. Sorry for all the questions, but i am seriously considering one of these and just want to be sure....

One last one (i think).. Do you have it mounted on or in a stand of some sort or what? How do you have your kettle in relation to the burner underneath it?

Thanks mate,

Nath

View attachment 40288

Can recommend this burner,I can bring 40 litres of cold winter Victorian water to boiling in under 35 minutes.
Quicker boils, less LPG used, more money for more brewing :icon_cheers:
Cheers
Holla

Yeah, i've seen these before too and thought they might have been a good thing.

Can't decide which way to go... The Mega Jet Burner, 3 or 4 ring burner, or Crown 40lt Urn......too many decisions...

Inside or outside - doesn't really phase me. Have plenty of space, ventilation, and power points in my garage.

I'm cooking with a $40 3 ring cast burner, run by a standard LP LPG BBQ reg.
This brings my 40ltr pot to 70deg in 30mins and from there to a boil in another 15 to 20.
I have knocked out 5 brews on this 9kg bottle so far.
Just put a fire proof base under it and drop the pot on top, easy and cheap..

Yeah, i've seen these before too and thought they might have been a good thing.

Can't decide which way to go... The Mega Jet Burner, 3 or 4 ring burner, or Crown 40lt Urn......too many decisions...

Inside or outside - doesn't really phase me. Have plenty of space, ventilation, and power points in my garage.

I have a 40 litre Birko urn and that gets 38L of wort up to boil. But it does take time (40 min - 1 hr). The advantage of my urn for me are:
  • easier temp control (esp if you combine with a TempMate etc).
  • compact, all in one unit
  • I can set the thermostat to get mash in temp, and go off and do other stuff without worrying it will boil dry
  • I don't have to get a gas bottle,
  • Cheaper to run
  • Can brew inside if need be, though I prefer the garage. Actually you can pretty much use it anywhere you have a power point.
Disadvantages I see are:

• Longer boil times
  • While it gets a good boil, its not "nuts boiling" (to quote Manticle), but it does boil. My boil off loss is about 2-2.5l/hr.
  • Limited to 38 litre (max) boils. However I don't see myself ever doing double batches so I don't see this as an issue.
  • More expensive capital outlay. Urn cost me $275 delivered to Perth.
  • Clean up is more involved. The element needs a wipe and a little care around it (although the element wipes clean with only a gentle wipe).Run some vinegar/water solution through it every now and then.
I'm not saying electric is better or anything, but in my situation it works for me. I BIAB though. I also have a young son who will soon be crawling and walking and I can put an urn up high out of the way and cable tie the cord out of reach and remove any possibility of an accident. A burner at my place would not be so flexible.

Hi fellas, i have been looking for burners as im building a brewing tree, i was looking at the nasa burners from beerbelly but they have been out of stock for a while. when i seen this post i went down to bcf to check these out, i spoke to the sales person there and organised to just buy the burner for 64 bucks..............cheerin :icon_chickcheers:

chopdog

quick tip for 3 ring users....whack a lid on the boiler TILL it boils..THEN REMOVE LID. It will shorten the boil time a bit

my last boil was a BIAB, so starting at about 38L @ 66c it usually only took 15-20mins to get to full rolling boil.
From tap to 68c takes about 30-40 mins depending on amb temp and water temp, was mid June the last time I did a brew.
about the only thing I can say for sure it did what I needed in about half the time the 3 ring did it in.
Oh and it sounds like a mini jet engine lol

hey, just curious, what size is the diameter of your pot? i bought one of these jet burners today, and started doing a test boil, and as i was doing it i noticed the paint starting to burn/melt off around the base. then i looked on the box and noticed it says 'pots with a minimum diameter of 250mm and maximum 300mm, my pot is about 500mm in diameter (80L), i stopped the boil at about 45degrees. got a bit worried, im thinking that cos my pot covers the whole thing, the heat can't escape up around the pot. have you or anyone else had a similar problem to this? i'll be pissed if i can't use it! also what do you stand it on?

hey, just curious, what size is the diameter of your pot? i bought one of these jet burners today, and started doing a test boil, and as i was doing it i noticed the paint starting to burn/melt off around the base. then i looked on the box and noticed it says 'pots with a minimum diameter of 250mm and maximum 300mm, my pot is about 500mm in diameter (80L), i stopped the boil at about 45degrees. got a bit worried, im thinking that cos my pot covers the whole thing, the heat can't escape up around the pot. have you or anyone else had a similar problem to this? i'll be pissed if i can't use it! also what do you stand it on?

I think the width limit is more to do with the stands stability.

The paint will burn off most new burners, then they start to get rusty and look yukky :(

QldKev

Back