Camper Trailers: Spend ya money how?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
I am currently shopping for a camper trailer, the type that fold out/in and supply a great camping environment.

People post on here about Windows phones and how their elbow clicks when they reach for something so I thought I would ask:

Who has one? Who has any tips as to what to look for?

I like this one, although I want to cut out a few features and reduce the price a little but anyone have any tips?

I have found 2 levels - one is a fold out tent attached to a trailer. Second has cool shit like a Kitchen and water tank. The other 2 levels are Aussie made and the china imports - any one have experience with the 2?

I love you all but am not looking for non-knowledgable comments please, I would like if you KNOW and could help me out here?

First beer is on me.

Buy once, buy well. The papers and websites are full of those units that didn't meet that criteria. Having spent the best part of 11 years wandering around the back blocks of Cape York, i got to appreciate that not all campers are created equal and a lot simply aren't up to the task.

We (read, Karen) decided on an australian off road camper trailers odyssey ZX 8 years ago, but since then everyone else in the family has gotten some serious mileage out of it and we did too until we bought the business.

They hold their value well, have all the comforts of home and will go pretty much anywhere the vehicle can go. Nothing better than to wander up from a freezing cold stream, prop up the fly rod and climb under a hot shower in the middle of nowhere. It's a reasonable trade up from a double swag.

Edit: Tips

Think the kitchen through. Open fires aren't always allowed or practical and makes for domestic bliss if it's organised
Independent suspension - or at the very least, a well thought out one. Makes towing on heavily currugated roads a lot better, safer and less prone to failures.
Bed access, rear opening with solid floor for wet weather and not having to throw a leg over at night when answering a call of nature
Where will the kegs fit?
Tow hitch- life's a bit when you have to detach some hitch systems on uneven ground and then get the sucker back on
Lighting. Have an accessory reversing light that allows you to see clearly at night when reversing the trailer
Good LED lighting inside the camper
Dust proof and water proof. Most aren't. Those that are make life easier.

Martin

We went camping with friends last year who had one (we weren't sleeping in it though, had our oztent), they actually bought it second hand and it came with complete outdoor furniture and everything you could ever need, but all those things you would normally have to buy extra if you don't already have them. Can't tell you what model or brand it is, but it's a huge step up from the one's you have linked. They're about to embark on a 8 month tour completely around the coast line of Australia, so time will tell how it's holding up. After a few month of practicing they have the setup time down to 1 hour.

They did the sums and decided against a new one, as they're apparently like a new car, looses a big chunk of it's value in the first 1-2 years.

That's all I have to say, and will repeat Martin's sentiment, buy once and buy well, and if that means that you have to buy 2nd hand to get more for your money then go for it.

Not a camper trailer comment specificly (as I don't use one but rather have my tarago kitted out for what I do) but I highly rate 12v Led lights. They just work and work well and on top of that use bugger all power for the light they put out.

Tip 1 ; if they say it only takes 5 minutes to put up, dont believe them.
Tip 2; practice putting it up a couple of times before you go
Tip 3; camp trailers are frickin awesome. You won't regret getting one.
The one in the link looks pretty nice, depends on what you want to do with it as to specs and Aus made vs Chinese made.
I wll say though, we have an aussie made one which was built in the early 90s and still going strong, the in laws have a china made one
which while having a lot more room and features is just not as sturdy, as in I couldn't see the tent part lasting 20 plus years...
I think a lot of the tops ( tent part ) are made in China anyway and just put on a locally made trailer

Another 2 levels to think about first Cocko is
How offroad are you going to go with it?

This will cut numbers down massivlely if you plan on doing the cape, or accross the simpson, etc.

I would personally get a 'proper' offroad one as I have either done these trips or similiar, or plan on doing them. I have a Roof Top Tent, with the added Annex though, and its the goods.

Do u have gas BBQ's and whatnot already. If you are a seasoned camper and have gear already, do u need the fancy pull out BBQ's and kitchens.

Biggest thing to keep in mind is weight. My missus wanted to chuck our whole house in when she first started camping with me, then after a few trips watching others get bogged and us helping them out, she realised I wasnt just being a prick, weight is the biggest killer, it'll get you bogged and fuk your gear. So if u dont need it, dont get it, it'll save you future trouble.

Go to 4x4 shows, or camper showrooms and have a look and see what u want and think. Then check the local classifieds, campers are like caravans, 90% of Australians have them, 80% use them once a year at Xmas, 10% actually get their monies worth and use them a fair bit. You'll pick up a bargain there somewhere.

shaunous said:
Biggest thing to keep in mind is weight. My missus wanted to chuck our whole house in when she first started camping with me, then after a few trips watching others get bogged and us helping them out, she realised I wasnt just being a prick, weight is the biggest killer, it'll get you bogged and fuk your gear. So if u dont need it, dont get it, it'll save you future trouble.
Go bicycle touring for a couple of weeks. Riding slowly up a few long hills gives you time to cogitate on what part of that weight is necessary or not ;)

We brought one about 4 years ago.

I did a fair bit of shopping around/research at the time my advice is

The Trailer

There are cheap ones out there that the trailers are also imported Chinese ones. At the time I was looking there was a heap of crappy ones that were essentiallly flatpack trailers bolted together in Aust. Some I looked at had a few small spot welds in the corners....

Have a good look at the quality and strength of the trailer - that’s the part that will take a beating.

I brought mine from a couple of guys that had a Steel fabrication business - they would build a trailer or two when the fabrication work was slow. I just checked them out and they dont do the trailers anymore as they are flat out fabricating

The Camper

The camper parts are usually all Chinese made and put on top of locally made trailer

The canvas quality is a big consideration. Most that I have seen have 14oz "ripstop" canvas - which is what ours does. It is very thick and strong. I would not recommend anything thinner.
Good quality canvas also keeps the chill out in winter compared to a nylon tent

The Kitchen
We already had most of our camping gear so I just got the basic trailer without the kitchen. In hindsight a pull out kitchen would be one less thing to set up but thats not such a big deal. So if you already have gear skip the kitchen.

Setting it Up
Get a demo on how to set up and put down the tent/annexe. Think about if you could do it on your own - I would struggle on my own with ours. I am a bit old fashion and like it up for Mrs Grumpy and as the kids have all grown up I think most of our holidays will be sans helpers soon.

I am on the verge of getting rid of ours. I love it but it is a bit of effort to set up on our own. But I haven’t quite made the decision yet - (otherwise we would be negotiating).

It is unlikely you would camp on your own - so you will most likely have a helping hand somewhere. But if you want to go solo you want one that is easiest to set up.

Hydraulic Lifts?
I didn’t get the hydraulic lifter to lift the tent part. On one hand it would be easier to load stuff in that way instead of crawling in the back end....but on the other hand the trailer sides are relatively high so it would be awkward to lift anything up and in i it had any weight to it. i just have all my gear in the plastic tubs and sldie them in and out.

Get a good jockey wheel.

Mine came with a fairly basic solid rubber jockey wheel. I want to replace it with a bigger inflatable tyre type because the solid rubber one digs in to soft/snady ground when you are trying to drag it around to get it in position

I might not have given you too many answers but I hope I have given you a few helpful ideas about what to consider

Happy Camping

Grumpy

Get a Ute and get a camper that goes on the tray.

When you get to camp site, unhook and you can leave it at site while you go places.

Bonus - you own a Ute and can help mates move furniture.

Unless you like towing.

Oh and.....

Where are you going and what are you towing it with?

We dont own a 4wd so the off road versions were of no use to us.

I will either go to a caravan park or into a national park camping site that the good old commodore can get to. SO I didnt need fancy suspensions and off road features

A longer draw bar makes back the trailer easier too...

If I think of anything else will let you know.

edited spellink mistooks

Thanks heaps guys, great info!

GP, We will be heading bush, Murray and alike but not full blown 4WD country, probably up the centre sometime next year.. - I have a Prado to hitch it to, so towing won't be an issue at all.

I have found the second hand market is showing way better value, the hunt begins!

Cheers again.

Nah, the Prado will out live me I reckon.

Second car is a old Subaru, looking to upgrade that soon - What model are you warning against? Have been checking out the XV....

The auto stop/start in XV's is a massive pain in the arse
it turns off when you're towing, but around town it sucks

What is your budget? We had a tight budget so we went for a GIC. It has an Aussie trailer and a Chinese tent. It has no bells or whistles but I plan to add these.

I cant comment on the camper yet. We only picked it up yesterday.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396320857.234475.jpg

On a side note... I'll have to check if I can use the gas bottle holders for cornie kegs.

Edgebrew said:
On a side note... I'll have to check if I can use the gas bottle holders for cornie kegs.
With the right amount of insulation around the keg you can. Two birds with one stone and all...

Back