Camper Trailers: Spend ya money how?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIC look like a good balance of features V price + the Aussie made trailer is appealing. Their canvas is nice and heavy too...

Edgebrew, can I ask if they stung you the $500 Vic delivery fee? Seems the only down fall. I like the idea of buying new but am tossing up the idea of getting a more featured one, for the same price, second hand... Hmm....

Heaps of good info on http://myswag.com.

Definitely try to get to a camping show, makes it easy to compare features and quality.

We have a customline and love it.

You could allways buy a Troopy if there are only 2 of you...

False botton for a bed....some draws for a stove/sink/kitchen. You can fit a lot in one if your smart.

You wont need a trailer....and if a Troopy cant get you there....a Prado certainly wont

Cocko said:
Nah, the Prado will out live me I reckon.

Second car is a old Subaru, looking to upgrade that soon - What model are you warning against? Have been checking out the XV....
Don't get me wrong, its a great little car- the are great cars - 2010 Forester - As they're built on the Impreza platform, goes like shit off a shovel, handles like a go kart and so far, reliable as a sundial.
But a pram and some luggage in the back, plus a pair of kids in their seats and its all over. They're shoe boxes inside. Also, I don't believe a little engine running on boost would make for a spectacular tow vehicle. At least not the petrol version. Pity the clutch on hill starts..
From a touring point of view, the thimble sized tank that needs to be fed with PULP would be another consideration. You just cant bet the Prados 150 liter range and all round comfort and build quality.

Ducatiboy stu said:

False botton for a bed....some draws for a stove/sink/kitchen. You can fit a lot in one if your smart.

You wont need a trailer....and if a Troopy cant get you there....a Prado certainly wont
That would be great but a little beyond the budget/outlay atm...

Dave70 said:
Don't get me wrong, its a great little car- the are great cars - 2010 Forester - As they're built on the Impreza platform, goes like shit off a shovel, handles like a go kart and so far, reliable as a sundial.
But a pram and some luggage in the back, plus a pair of kids in their seats and its all over. They're shoe boxes inside. Also, I don't believe a little engine running on boost would make for a spectacular tow vehicle. At least not the petrol version. Pity the clutch on hill starts..
From a touring point of view, the thimble sized tank that needs to be fed with PULP would be another consideration. You just cant bet the Prados 150 liter range and all round comfort and build quality.
Yeah, I love our prado... although she only gets the 180L fill if we score a .40c off coupon from shopping... Handy on big trips though.

Cheers!

Ducatiboy stu said:

If you do go the utilitarian route, take one for an extend test drive first. Toyota don't mind giving a nod to 1960's comfort and handling and charging a premium for it.
They're awesome trucks. Truck being the operative word. My old GXL ute was little more than a waterproof box bolted to a chassis and rode like rodeo bull.
Still, it was seemingly impossible to overload it..

Dave70 said:
If you do go the utilitarian route, take one for an extend test drive first. Toyota don't mind giving a nod to 1960's comfort and handling and charging a premium for it.
They're awesome trucks. Truck being the operative word. My old GXL ute was little more than a waterproof box bolted to a chassis and rode like rodeo bull.
Still, it was seemingly impossible to overload it..
They sure aint no Rolls....but get em off the tar and there awsome...cant killem....second only to a 110 Landrover...both are mountain goats...

But if your towing a trailer....you wouldnt wasnt money on a Troopy.

Bit fond of the ole Troopy...drove them for 18yrs...if a Troopy couldnt make it...nothing would. Used to love the boses turn up in there 4 door cruisers......follow me I would say....and keep up...

Cocko said:
That would be great but a little beyond the budget/outlay atm...

Yeah, I love our prado... although she only gets the 180L fill if we score a .40c off coupon from shopping... Handy on big trips though.

Cheers!
I'm selling my 80series soon. I'll even put the new clutch in first. Never breaks down, never fails to start, never gets serviced. You can't go wrong. I'll even throw in pics of my camper van for when your cold and muddy and everything you touch is damp or wet. I know, I know, I'm serving myself up a big one now.

Have you looked at a box trailer that can be used as a camper.

Know a few folk that spent $$ on a camper...only to find out it was not able to be used for taking dead keg fridges to the tip

Do you want a trailer that becomes a tent..or a trailer that is a trailer to carry your tent & gear in.

Went on a recent camping trip, social fishing thingo, and one of the old blokes turned up with what looked like a box trailer with a cage...

Well...off the side he had extensions that ran along the off sides made from 1"x1" that held a 10m Sq tarp from the side of the trailer with posts. Took him about 10mins with 2 blokes to set up, and the tarp formed a side. 3 poles and some pegs to hold it.

The trailer had lift up sides to accces the pull out kitchen and ready usable things normally used for camping but the cage allowed you to throw tents and swags in the guts

Was one of the best full camp trailers I have ever seen.

Not fancy...but as a camp trailer....it was awsome...and he could take it apart and have a 6x4 box trailer

I know what your saying DBS, and love building something as much as the next diesel mechanic but as with building a brew rig - I just wanna buy a BM and not a coles eski that will end up on the junk heap after I have spent more than the BM would have originally cost on upgrading this and changing that..

I wonder what your camper mates 'actually' spent to get it to a point where they were happy with it? I have been pricing a build up and with out a current workshop or good tools, welder etc, I can only see it as a money pit.. hence my brew rig analogy :ph34r:

I know if I go down the 'build it myself' route I will end up with something else to add or change this or that blah blah...

So, yes, I want to hook up a trailer and go camping, old dead fridges can be moved by my mates who decided a trailer was more important.

Cheers though, appreciate it :super:

Camo6 said:
I'm selling my 80series soon. I'll even put the new clutch in first. Never breaks down, never fails to start, never gets serviced. You can't go wrong. I'll even throw in pics of my camper van for when your cold and muddy and everything you touch is damp or wet. I know, I know, I'm serving myself up a big one now.
They dont even build bowls big enough Cu.... Chow down.

Cocko...he didnt spend that much.

And the way it was built..it wasnt that expensive.

You need to think outside the camper trailer

The killer was that huge tarp. But it could sleep 10 plus kitchen. And you could stand up under it without ducking your head.

I was trying to suggest this to him over PM and he said the same to me!

I've had had similar thoughts of simply sewing up a proper canvas cover for my 10x5 tandem and pack a double bed mattress. Saw those pull out awnings that are meant to be installed on the rear edge of the car that would be perfect on the rear top end of the cage trailer. Mine cost me 2750, is gal and fairly solid welded, I suspect the canvas would be the most expensive thing. The heaviest duty bunnings tarp self destructed in the trip from CBR to ADL so would have to go for something seriously strong and impermeable.

Cocko said:
GIC look like a good balance of features V price + the Aussie made trailer is appealing. Their canvas is nice and heavy too...

Edgebrew, can I ask if they stung you the $500 Vic delivery fee? Seems the only down fall. I like the idea of buying new but am tossing up the idea of getting a more featured one, for the same price, second hand... Hmm....
Cocko. I thought it was a good balance of features vs. price too. Go and have a look at one in their showroom.

I bought a commando with the options pack. They waved the delivery fee as it was a new model. I believe they would do the same for you too. Just ask.

My plan is to put in a 12V system myself (battery, solar, fridge, lights). I have bought most of the bits to do this. I found "low energy developments" to be the cheapest by far for deep cycle batteries and solar panels.

I feel confident in my decision. Years ago I spent 2 years designing campers. Our design is still being manufactured by one of Australia's biggest camper manufacturers. I just can't afford the $40K - $50K for one.

Just to clarify though. I have no affiliation with any of the brands I have mentioned.

My brother inlaw bought a Cameron camper trailer in Adelaide has an aluminium top to protect it,can't remember what he paid as it was a few years ago now, it's a nice Aussie made rig he is very happy with it as he did his home work.being the fussy meticulous ******* his is. Cheers...spog...

Back