Calling fridgies - Building a coolroom (advice needed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stew.W said:
I think if u bypass an ac unit thermostat to run those temps the compressors just going to shit itself anyway
I have a mate who is a fridgie.....ws talking about this a while back. He said it might work but it will end up shitting itself eventually.

yeah ac compressors arent meant to run those pressures, depending on how old it is it may just go into fault if the coil temp got that low.
pulling apart a fridge wouldnt work either because the capacity wouldnt even get close, if you get a packaged unit get a r134 unit because it is the cheapest gas if you ever have to fix it.

MastersBrewery said:
these guys disagree with you both

Ice is dependent on available moisture, something AC's are renowned for removing though the coolbot controller was made for this specific purpose of preventing freeze ups. As far as cooling capacity, it's documented variously including the storeitcold web site linked above.
Well all the fridgies agree on here. It would be like fitting a v8 in a Hyundai.(probably a bad comparison)

mrsupraboy said:
Well all the fridgies agree on here. It would be like fitting a v8 in a Hyundai.(probably a bad comparison)
Long term results from other forums have not concluded in outcomes surmised by these gentlemen

MB

MastersBrewery said:
these guys disagree with you both

Ice is dependent on available moisture, something AC's are renowned for removing though the coolbot controller was made for this specific purpose of preventing freeze ups. As far as cooling capacity, it's documented variously including the storeitcold web site linked above.
They ( coolbot marketing folk ) also say you need a bigger unit than normal for a given room size and needs to be well sealed and only opened once every 10,000 years.

The coolbot is an ugly solution for a problem that cant be overcome easly.

Bit like putting a Hyundi motor in a Kenworth and telling everyone that its got a bigger carby and exhuast. It will get you there but the motor will shit itself eventually.

Ducatiboy stu said:
They ( coolbot marketing folk ) also say you need a bigger unit than normal for a given room size and needs to be well sealed and only opened once every 10,000 years.

The coolbot is an ugly solution for a problem that cant be overcome easly.

Bit like putting a Hyundi motor in a Kenworth and telling everyone that its got a bigger carby and exhuast. It will get you there but the motor will shit itself eventually.
commercial cool rooms are made to cope with commercial use. I am a pastry chef by trade worked in dozens of bakery's and kitchens and pubs when I tended bar for ten years. These coolers are made to allow for constant use ie the door being opened every 5 minutes. I gotta say some places 5 minutes would be an under estimation (chocolate is an asshole in summer). If the room is correctly sealed and insulated and only being opened once or twice a day then your kenworth is running down hill with a tail wind and all the motor is needed for is slowing down!

MB

MastersBrewery said:
Long term results from other forums have not concluded in outcomes surmised by these gentlemen

MB
I have read threads on other forums ( cheese ones etc ) about the coolbot. They dont always work succesfully. You also have to remember that where they are used have cooler climates than here.

I built a nicely insulated cool room ( 2 x 3 x 2 ) with a window rattler and a ghetto coolbot ( ie a thermostat on the fins and one for the room ) and wirred the fan to run constantly. In summer I could not get it under about 17* when it was 40* and winter would get to about 13*. Even though I sorted the icing up it just wouldnt get cold enough. When I spoke to my fridgie mate about it he told me that it just wont do what I wanted. Had to do with gas type, pressure, size etc.

A coolbot might work but you need a larger than normal size AC unit ( which it states on the web site ) but its not the best or even the most efficient method. If domestic unit & a coolbot work so well then there would not be a need for dedicated coolroom and refridgeration units. Here are reasons why AC units dont make gpod coolroom units. There are 2 fridgies here that can explain why this is the cade. If I wanted advice on making bread, I wouldnt ask a fridge mechanic. If I wanted help fixing my car i wouldnt ask a cheese maker.

Dont believe the hype.

used and refurb Coolroom compressors come up on the net cheap in the cities. Why dont u just buy one of them.

Im no fridge mechanic, but putting a household a/c designed to cool to approx 18*c, in a place where you want year round 4*c seems damn silly to me, tricking the thermostat or not, they are not designed for that.

Whats a household a/c duty cycle (if they have one), it would be running 100% if you were to use in a cool room situation, where they would normally be cutting in and out in a house.

MastersBrewery said:
commercial cool rooms are made to cope with commercial use. I am a pastry chef by trade worked in dozens of bakery's and kitchens and pubs when I tended bar for ten years. These coolers are made to allow for constant use ie the door being opened every 5 minutes. I gotta say some places 5 minutes would be an under estimation (chocolate is an asshole in summer). If the room is correctly sealed and insulated and only being opened once or twice a day then your kenworth is running down hill with a tail wind and all the motor is needed for is slowing down!

MB
When I did work at the Brisbane Markets, they dont even have doors, just plastic flaps, but their compressors are huge, and blowing frosty air into a coolroom with very very thick insulation.

I have one for sale pm me if interested.
4triple glass doors in frame. Compressor and head.

Latest posts

Back