• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Californian Common

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has anyone got an AG recipe for a California Common beer. I haven't tried one before but I'm keen to. If anyone has a recipe I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Molly

Plastic Man

Reaction score
From memory the BYOB web site has Jamil's recipe somewhere on it. Plus a fair bit of background info on the style.

Steve@PMF82

Simplicity is perfection
Reaction score
Yep do Jamil's recipe you wont be disappointed, don't skimp on the yeast, use the 2112!

I prefer it without the choc malt and replace that % with victory.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Thanks guys....also just found a couple on the database after not being able to find them at first.

I'll give Jamil's recipe a go I think.

Cheers

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Jamil's recipe is a cracker, brewed it a few times now and never get tired of it. Just make sure you get the right NB hops ;)

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
I'm going to do Jamils recipe on Friday. I've got heaps of Northern Brewer US but I'm a bit worried about using this straight out. I've got some Cascade and a few other things on hand. Anyone brewed this lately and can reassure me that using Nth Brewer alone makes a good beer.

humulus

Reaction score
Mate you can't go wrong with 100% U.S. northern brewer done Jamils a few times and it's tops,stick with the one hop for this style!!!!!!

Steve@PMF82

Simplicity is perfection
Reaction score
I love this recipe, brewed it on separate occasions with US NB and Ger NB both were very good. You would have to have a very very good palate to tell them apart in the final beer.

Rowy

Drinker of Kegs, Slayer of Fish & Ruiner of Good F
Reaction score
Thanks gents straight Nth Brewer it is then! Bring on Friday :D

beerdrinkingbob

milk is for babies......
Reaction score
Fergthebrewer does a very nice Cal Common, tasted all of them that I know of, he's made them with both Northern Brewer and Perle, two of the best beers I've tasted.

Ive also tasted Jamils version and it was a craker, get on it!!

Cheers BDB

fcmcg

I had lotsa barrels on the old AHB..
Reaction score
Fergthebrewer does a very nice Cal Common, tasted all of them that I know of, he's made them with both Northern Brewer and Perle, two of the best beers I've tasted.

Ive also tasted Jamils version and it was a craker, get on it!!

Cheers BDB
Oh Bob...your too kind....
Do not use any other hop other than NB ( or Perle..lol )
This beer style is designed to showcase the Northern Brewer Hop....
You must also use Cal common yeast...i usually ferment mine at 16 degrees...and it does benefit from a good largering too...
This is a lovely beer style IMHO
Good luck
Ferg

Byran

Reaction score
I have tried a California common, used a Wyeast Sanfrancisco lager yeast.
Tasted pretty special and you can do it without a temp control in the winter. The special yeast style allows those without temp control to do a lager and they turn out great. Would recommend a fairly lengthy secondary lager though at least 2 weeks at lower than 5 degrees, these yeasts do produce a fair bit of DMS, so you get a nice mild sulphury after taste, not too distant from a Carlton Draught or Resches at the pub. I would love to try using one of these yeasts with galaxy or something fruity........

Latest posts