Californian Common

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has anyone got an AG recipe for a California Common beer. I haven't tried one before but I'm keen to. If anyone has a recipe I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Molly

From memory the BYOB web site has Jamil's recipe somewhere on it. Plus a fair bit of background info on the style.

Yep do Jamil's recipe you wont be disappointed, don't skimp on the yeast, use the 2112!

I prefer it without the choc malt and replace that % with victory.

Thanks guys....also just found a couple on the database after not being able to find them at first.

I'll give Jamil's recipe a go I think.

Cheers

Jamil's recipe is a cracker, brewed it a few times now and never get tired of it. Just make sure you get the right NB hops ;)

I'm going to do Jamils recipe on Friday. I've got heaps of Northern Brewer US but I'm a bit worried about using this straight out. I've got some Cascade and a few other things on hand. Anyone brewed this lately and can reassure me that using Nth Brewer alone makes a good beer.

Mate you can't go wrong with 100% U.S. northern brewer done Jamils a few times and it's tops,stick with the one hop for this style!!!!!!

I love this recipe, brewed it on separate occasions with US NB and Ger NB both were very good. You would have to have a very very good palate to tell them apart in the final beer.

Thanks gents straight Nth Brewer it is then! Bring on Friday :D

Fergthebrewer does a very nice Cal Common, tasted all of them that I know of, he's made them with both Northern Brewer and Perle, two of the best beers I've tasted.

Ive also tasted Jamils version and it was a craker, get on it!!

Cheers BDB

Fergthebrewer does a very nice Cal Common, tasted all of them that I know of, he's made them with both Northern Brewer and Perle, two of the best beers I've tasted.

Ive also tasted Jamils version and it was a craker, get on it!!

Cheers BDB
Oh Bob...your too kind....
Do not use any other hop other than NB ( or Perle..lol )
This beer style is designed to showcase the Northern Brewer Hop....
You must also use Cal common yeast...i usually ferment mine at 16 degrees...and it does benefit from a good largering too...
This is a lovely beer style IMHO
Good luck
Ferg

I have tried a California common, used a Wyeast Sanfrancisco lager yeast.
Tasted pretty special and you can do it without a temp control in the winter. The special yeast style allows those without temp control to do a lager and they turn out great. Would recommend a fairly lengthy secondary lager though at least 2 weeks at lower than 5 degrees, these yeasts do produce a fair bit of DMS, so you get a nice mild sulphury after taste, not too distant from a Carlton Draught or Resches at the pub. I would love to try using one of these yeasts with galaxy or something fruity........

Back