Buying 2nd Hand Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gas bottle is owned and remains the property of Air Liquide. You will have trouble getting it filled unless he puts you onto someone shifty. Doubtfull that the kegs would have been obtained legitimately.
Caveat Emptor

well i have dropped out of the sale, prefer to be on the safe side, will just have to wait a little longer to get my set up running, thanks to all those who have advised, i look forward to learning more about our great past time, or should that be way of life?

aside from the illegality of it all kegging into commercial kegs is a pain , the spikes arent exactly easy to get in and out ... and theyre also harder to manouver...

i know for a fact that the breweries browse ebay for adds like that too , perhaps theyre onto him as we type for attempting to sell off their gear ...

dunno what he has done to convert them either he is using the standard type couplers and connectors as used in pubs all around the country... all he has done is pull out the circlip that holds it all together and lifted out the spike , hardly a conversion ...

i agree barra, i would of had to reinforce my fridge to hold one of those kegs and my poor back would of got screwed trying to lift one of them full, just thought it might of been a quick and cheap way to get into kegging and possible equiptment for all grain down the track.

its not that expensive to set up a system cozmo , theres been a few fridges offered on here for giveaway over the last two weeks , doenst need to be fancy the main thing is the bottom should if possible be flat , and its tall enough to be able to stand a corny keg in ... keep ya eyes peeled some may even still be available , chat with the sponsors above for a deal on a complete setup , only really need two kegs to get goin and work from there , also have a word with some of the canberra guys on here for ideas on how to set things up im sure theres someone to help ya out fairly close buy ...

i have a up right freezer with a fridgemate, got a micromatic co2 reg coming for xmas, all i need is co2 bottle, tap and kegs, so im getting there.

i have a up right freezer with a fridgemate, got a micromatic co2 reg coming for xmas, all i need is co2 bottle, tap and kegs, so im getting there.

Nothing wrong with using a picnic tap to get going, before you hard plumb and drill holes in a fridge.
Check out the 4 keg deal from Craftbrewer. If 4 is too much to start with, start a thread to go halves with another local brewer. You will be lucky to beat Ross's pricing.

four is never enough, but my budget for now is 400, im happy to start with one keg but i know i want a celli ss tap and dont want to waste money on in betweens if you know what i mean, the big problem is the co2 bottle, 300 bucks.

i suppose rent for one year would be alright till i get the funds to purchase it outright

i appreciate the replies fellas, turns out i just scored a whooper of a deal, getting 3 50 ltr kegs and lots of other goodies for 300 bucks.

i agree barra, i would of had to reinforce my fridge to hold one of those kegs and my poor back would of got screwed trying to lift one of them full, just thought it might of been a quick and cheap way to get into kegging and possible equiptment for all grain down the track.

Cosmo , you are on the right track ,

I given up using my 60 litre fermenrter because I could here my back popping when I picked up 40 litres of beer god knows what 50 litres of beer in a heavy SS keg would be ???

I think I would need a hoist to lift it .

Pumpy :)

yeah thanks pumpy, i suppose im getting impatient, and lack of bottles has slowed down my brewing also (im only up to my third).and megaswill has never tasted so bad! especially from tap.

oh, and is there a dictionary for all the lingo going on?

yeah thanks pumpy, i suppose im getting impatient, and lack of bottles has slowed down my brewing also (im only up to my third).and megaswill has never tasted so bad! especially from tap.

oh, and is there a dictionary for all the lingo going on?

Yes Cosmo there is just a post on it , I lookesd in the search engine but it wont come up

you mean this sort of thing

SWMBO She who must be obeyed
LME Liiquid malt Extract
NCC No Chill cube
CC Chill cube

Perhaps we should do a new post or add to the list

Pumpy :)

four is never enough, but my budget for now is 400, im happy to start with one keg but i know i want a celli ss tap and dont want to waste money on in betweens if you know what i mean, the big problem is the co2 bottle, 300 bucks.

i suppose rent for one year would be alright till i get the funds to purchase it outright

I priced CO2 a short while ago, comparing two sizes from SupaGas (22kg and 10kg) and 330g SodaStream. I own two SodaStream cylinders already. I reckon I have to go through the equivalent of nearly two SodaStream cylinders each month for the big gas cylinders to become financially attractive. If you carbonate your beer in the kegs using sugar, you only use the CO2 to push the beer out, so you're not using too much gas.

This might suit you as an interim step, and at the end of it, you have a nicely portable gas system.

I've got a pluto gun, a tap mounted on a QD and a picnic tap on a very short length of gas line. The latter is being used for lemonade, but they all work just fine. There's all sorts of ways to skin the cat - it is just that some are more wrong than others... <_<

cozmo,

ever thought of this? 290 for the whole setup on sale with kegsonline, I just bought two keg special last week it was delivered by the next morning.

Christmas Special - 2 Keg System

Everything is packed in a carton ready for your favourite Christmas wrapping paper! It is sure to be one of the biggest presents under the tree this Christmas, and is sure to please your brewer.

Includes:

2 x Used 18lt kegs fitted with new seals throughout.
1 x Easy pour beer tap
1 x 2mt beer line
1 x 2mt gas line
4 x line clips
1 x liquid disconnect plastic
1 x gas disconnect plastic
1 x Micromatic regulator
These used kegs have new poppet valves, new tank plug o’rings, new dip tube o’rings and a new tank lid o’ring The pressure relief valve is checked and replaced with new where necessary then pressure tested for 24hrs

$290

Yes Cosmo there is just a post on it , I lookesd in the search engine but it wont come up
you mean this sort of thing
SWMBO She who must be obeyed
LME Liiquid malt Extract
NCC No Chill cube
CC Chill cube
Have a look here. Under Articles at the top, then New to Brewing.

aside from the illegality of it all kegging into commercial kegs is a pain , the spikes arent exactly easy to get in and out ... and theyre also harder to manouver...

Is it possible to fill 50l commercial keg? How would one go about it? Do you take the spear out, fill, then put the spear back in?

Yes Pumpy thats exactly what im after, and thanks Boston for the link to the forementioned definition page.

Also thanks to quantocks, i have seen that deal, and its a good one but i have the regulator already, might see if they will exchange it for something else?

And thanks SpillsMostOfIt for the suggestions but i have my mind set on a Co2 bottle, i want to be able to force carb my beer, thats the price of being impatient i guess.

Back