Buying 2nd Hand Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cozmocracker

Reaction score
is there anything i should look out for when buying a reconditoned 19lt corny?

Hatches/hatch openings that aren't bashed out of shape. I recently received two cornies that had their hatches/hatch openings bashed out of shape...

Ball lock (coke) v's pin lock (pepsi) kegs. Pepsi kegs make up the bulk of the secondhand market and easier to get parts. Make sure PRV is working. Try them with pressure to make sure there are no leaks. Buy reco seal kit as old seals maybe permeated with cordial syrup. I'm sure there are a few more things people can think of.

Depending on what you pay for them, there is only one question.... do they hold pressure?. If they hold pressure you have kegs
that will give good service for a long time. Off tastes like old coke syrup can be removed by new seal and poppet kits.

Cheers,
smudge

Make sure the poppets are good, a one of my kegs has bad poppets, I really need to get around to doing something about that.

i appreciate the replies fellas, turns out i just scored a whooper of a deal, getting 3 50 ltr kegs and lots of other goodies for 300 bucks.

i appreciate the replies fellas, turns out i just scored a whooper of a deal, getting 3 50 ltr kegs and lots of other goodies for 300 bucks.

Now you need a large fridge to fit all those kegs into! Congrats.

Depending on what you pay for them, there is only one question.... do they hold pressure?

Not quite the full story, now the OP'er has new kegs (what is the name stamped into them?) we can go into this subject into a little more depth for others thinking about kegging!

Just because a keg won't hold pressure doesn't mean it's no good. What if it has an old faulty rubber seal to start with? Is Jo Blow going to take some CO2 and a pressure gauge to do a leakage test on kegs for sale? Has the seller done a leakage test with a gauge? What if the seals are all new and it holds pressure, however the corrosion from salt, a sodium based cleaner or chloride from tap water sitting inside is only 2 microns away from creating a hole in the keg? Disaster, (sticky tape won't help you as I have seen attempts in the past to plug a leaky keg full of raspberry syrup fail before)!

Kegs should be taken apart completely (including PRV and tank plugs) and inspected for any signs of corrosion (in SS, corrosion does not leave a stain like mild steel it "pits", like moon craters). It doesn't matter what the original seal are like, because your going to replace them anyway!

Corrosion and new seals do not make a good buy either!

Next we will get onto the ownership issue, especially if we are talking about certain 50L (or other size) kegs, owned by breweries or liquid product companies with the police and their unlimited budget when it comes to prosecuting people when they think they have a good case. Beware branded kegs, unless there is a certificate for the "brand" name company on the keg stating a sale of such keg and including the stamped serial number.

Then we will need to talk about those tank plugs. They are the things that screw into or onto welded fitting on the kegs for gas or liquid. If you get the Ball Lock type, you are better off, as there is far greater proliferation of this type of fitting. In the early days of kegging home brew, the home brew "movement" originally had the option of Pin or Ball Lock. Because it was too confusing to go to the superior Pin lock system and Coke corporation had an unlimited budget with which to pursue keg thieves with, so they went for the Pepsi Ball lock choice. If you get a keg with Pin Locks, you will find only high-quality disconnects are available as opposed to the ball lock stuff which every "reputable Aussie" importer of quality Chinese plastic crap is selling on eBay for less than 1/2 the price. The balls fall out of the fittings, etc.

I have no affiliation with any retailers at all! Just my 2c worth. (only had 2 standard drinks after a long night shift)

I thought you were looking for 19L kegs. Big difference.

someone wants to sell me 3 50ltr a co2 bottle reg, fermenters, taps, everthing i need for 300 bucks, would you say no?

i know its a big difference and i dont really need 50ltr kegs but i can use them later when i go all grain, in the mean time i get a setup that i can use now, one keg is still full! i dont know how good a brewer he is but when an opportunity knocks.....

someone wants to sell me 3 50ltr a co2 bottle reg, fermenters, taps, everthing i need for 300 bucks, would you say no?

As long as they are his 50L kegs to sell B)
also a pita to clean unless they have a hatch access...
Also make sure the CO2 bottle is owned outright, or you'll get pinged the 1st time you try to get it refilled.

cheers Ross

im getting paranoid now, he reckons i can get the co2 bottle(whuch is huge, bigger than a 6 kilo) filled at a chubb fire depot?? as far as i know he owns them, he bought them of a mate of his?? apparently they have been fitted out for homebrewing?? how do i check the kegs out and the co2 bottle out??

im getting paranoid now, he reckons i can get the co2 bottle(whuch is huge, bigger than a 6 kilo) filled at a chubb fire depot?? as far as i know he owns them, he bought them of a mate of his?? apparently they have been fitted out for homebrewing?? how do i check the kegs out and the co2 bottle out??
Be sceptical about really good deals.
For $300 from Ross you could get 3-4 kegs, regulator and fittings, just get hold of a CO2 fire extinguisher and you are away.
As Ross said if the 50 litre kegs dont hace hatch access then they will be a pain to clean.

In my opinion I would give Ross a call and see what you could get with your $300.
May save you in the long run.

im getting paranoid now, how do i check the kegs out and the co2 bottle out??

Just tell us the brand names stamped into the kegs and the brand name on the CO2 bottle. You have nothing to worry about. You are with friends now

The regulator is yours, so don't worry about that item!

he reckons i can get the co2 bottle(whuch is huge, bigger than a 6 kilo) filled at a chubb fire depot??

I very much doubt it.Sounds like an 'E' size BOC or Liquid Air bottle,if it is don't touch it!

The same helpful seller has probably got illegal kegs as well,may burn a hole in your boot on the way home.

Batz

ok my paranoia has got the better of me. back to cornys, alot easier on my bad back anyway, the co2 bottle was almost as tall as a fridge and i think i would prefer to get 4 kegs in my fridge rather than one, once again thanks for the words of wisdom. now where do i get a fire extinguisher and what do i do to it?

50 l kegs are dead simple to take apart , I know I do it every 2nd week.MAKE SURE THEY ARE LEGIT.Or just keep them out of sight just like the rest of the HB community.BTW I have a reciept for mine. ;)
GB

Latest posts

Back