Butters My Airlock Isn't Working? What Can I Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If by action, you mean airlock activity, I'm going to drop everything I'm doing, come over to your house, and choke a kitten in front of you as an object lesson. :ph34r:
Airlocks are meaningless....look for other signs. Condensation inside the lid (usually this is the first sign), foaming on top of the wort, krausen ring forming on the fermenter at the fluid level, and of course drop in SG......

But, as others have said, there is always a lag time....this can vary from a couple of hours to 48 hours....in this case, I would expect it's likely that you'll start getting signs of activity, maybe later this afternoon/tonight. (given that you aerated the wort, giving it a damn good thrashing. The more you do, the better.)

Love it

It works out cheaper if you buy your sugar in 25 kg sacks.

To save more money, only buy your kits from the supermarket when they are on special.

One kit is plenty for two brews. Open the tin, pour half into the fermenter and put the tin away in the cupboard. Use the other half in the next brew, there may be a bit of mould on top but this won't hurt your beer.

Add 2 kg of sugar and a packet of yeast. When you bottle the batch, leave the sludge in the bottom of the fermenter, add the second half of the tin, 2 kg of sugar and top up with water. Saves on cleaning.

No need to buy fresh bottlecaps if you use twist tops. After you have finished your bottle of beer, rinse the bottle and retighten the lid. At bottling time, it is dead easy to just pop in some priming sugar, fill with beer and re-use the same lid.

Not really, low carb beers are made with special enzymes that break down more sugars than usual and ferment further. On that topic though, sweeteners are used in most ginger beer kits.
QB I know how they make it. i was having a go at pure blonde and a bad pun at low joule sugar low joule beer. bad joke but still a joke.

Absolute Classic :lol:

"I'm going to drop everything I'm doing, come over to your house, and choke a kitten in front of you as an object lesson" Buttersd70

Absolute Classic :lol:

"I'm going to drop everything I'm doing, come over to your house, and choke a kitten in front of you as an object lesson" Buttersd70

I know,

I'm at work sitting in the corner trying not to laugh out loud... :D

I know,

I'm at work sitting in the corner trying not to laugh out loud... :D

I thought I had to quote this here because it made me laugh out loud at work and earn some evil looks, hehe.

Also I have heard that you can re-culture hops. A friend of a friend of his friend said that it is really easy and he can get good quality hops over many generations as long as he makes sure to bulk hop in his bathtub. My question for Butters now is weather it is possible to actually sit in the bath at the same time or if it needs to be gladwrapped so that you can use your airlock with it?

how about

Butters, ive dropped my airlock into my brew and i know about cleanleness so i grabbed a plastic bag out of the cupboard put it over my arm and had a swish around in the fermentor to try and get it out. do you think my beer will be ok.

actually the best one i heard (and it wasnt asked of butters) was a guy who froze chickens and put them into a sealed bag then dropped them into his fermentor to cool it down! sorry dude if your still on here and i offend you, but seriously thats gross and a bit silly.

butters can you take a closeup lightbox shot of my beer or deep-etch out the background for the "What's In The Glass" thread? Oh and I want the densitometer scale included also. :D

Warren -

It works out cheaper if you buy your sugar in 25 kg sacks.

To save more money, only buy your kits from the supermarket when they are on special.

One kit is plenty for two brews. Open the tin, pour half into the fermenter and put the tin away in the cupboard. Use the other half in the next brew, there may be a bit of mould on top but this won't hurt your beer.

Add 2 kg of sugar and a packet of yeast. When you bottle the batch, leave the sludge in the bottom of the fermenter, add the second half of the tin, 2 kg of sugar and top up with water. Saves on cleaning.

No need to buy fresh bottlecaps if you use twist tops. After you have finished your bottle of beer, rinse the bottle and retighten the lid. At bottling time, it is dead easy to just pop in some priming sugar, fill with beer and re-use the same lid.

Wow that sounds great Butters recipe... :party:

I might give that one ago tonight...

Butters Instead of the fermentor can I use a semi clean garabe bin with a hole pricked in the bin liner? Oh! Oh can I use bakers yeast instead? It's cheaper at the supermarket $4 for 5 foilies?

how about

Butters, ive dropped my airlock into my brew and i know about cleanleness so i grabbed a plastic bag out of the cupboard put it over my arm and had a swish around in the fermentor to try and get it out. do you think my beer will be ok.

actually the best one i heard (and it wasnt asked of butters) was a guy who froze chickens and put them into a sealed bag then dropped them into his fermentor to cool it down! sorry dude if your still on here and i offend you, but seriously thats gross and a bit silly.

at least it wasn't a frozen leg of ham

how about

This thread is about to reach a new low:

After noticing that the output from a boil on my back was very similar to what sits in the bottom of my fermenter after I'm done bottling, I thought I'd culture some up as an experiment. The result was interesting, and I've decided to market it under the name staphale.

Bah dum chah!

we really should stop. it makes us sound elitist and snobby.

now where the tea lady with my scone and earl grey jerky and Deus Brut Flanders

I'm desperately trying to speed up carbonation so is it OK if I drop my airstone in each bottle before I cap it to ensure that the yeast are going to have the best chance?

we really should stop. it makes us sound elitist and snobby.

CM2 not at all! We just know how much butters likes questions especially when airlocks are concerned...

This won't stop till Butters answers us! We have questions, real questions, that need answering and we are being ingored...

Why do others get their kitten choked and not us?

we know how much butters likes questions especially when airlocks are concerned...
in that case. Hey butters where is the best place to buy airlocks? can you organise a bulk buy?

Latest posts

Back