What Can I Do With My Cooper Aussie Bitter Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Recently I entered some of my AG beers in the local show and every one of them one a first or second.
Not a bad result
show_beers.JPG

As a prize, I was given a Can of Coopers Australian Bitter and a tin of light malt...
The Stewart then asked me " Do you know what to do with these ....? "

I then had to think....jeez I havnt done a kit in years...what do I do because I know absolutly nothing about what this kit tastes like

So here is a chance for the K&K crew to answer a question form an AG'er...

What is the beer like generally ie bitterness, hoop aroma and flavour, and could it be improved with some extra hoppingfor some more flavour etc...

Yes, I know I am going to get a ribbing for this... :ph34r:

Add a kilo of sugar and try to ferment at less than 26 degrees. Or for something really special, use "dextrose" in place of the sugar. ;-)

More seriously, there was a post a few weeks ago pointing to a topic on another forum about how good this kit supposedly is. Tried to search but couldn't find it. I did come across this post in the process, though, which sounds pretty interesting:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;mode=linear

Good on you mate!!!! :beer: Well done and get stuffed :lol: Yeah, I'm jealous

Buy another can mate and toucan it!!

The toucan Bitter turns out brilliant. I did one a couple of months back and sent a couple of stubbies to Ireland with a mate (going home) for his mates to try. Here is his email to me:

"Greetings from Ireland!

Hello Iano

Or should I say Mr Brooksy!

Anyway Ian, Last night we had a celebration of your brewing skills. We all salute your brewing skills and you have received post absentee, the honour of the Knight of the Irish Brewing Order

To compliment you one of the guys arrived in tonight with a gift for you of a couple of cans of Newcastle Brown Ale. So I suppose I will have to bring them back! Bloody Hell! I will now have to return to the Hunter Valley!

Talk soon "

And it was a plain Jane toucan Bitter!! I think you'll enjoy it. Just don't let any of your AG mates know :ph34r: or they may get AGro. :lol:

Brooksy - sounds like my effort with a K&B Heineken, my second brew no less.

1.7kg Wals Lager 'kit',
Saflager Yeast,
500g LDME,
250g each of dextrose and maltodextron,
12g Tettnanger steeped for 10 minutes.

Fermented at 16~18'C and then aged it up for 3 weeks. Cracked one with a few friends and they said it was great, would've loved to have another! Flavour was there, clarity and carbonation spot on. They can't wait for me to make some more, hahaha. Just might have to I think, I enjoyed it as well...plus I sent off the last one to my Dad.

That combination is my number 1 selling recipe; we add some taste hop, usually about 12g of Challenger.
The taste addition balances up the sweetness from the malt beautifully, Challenger has a nice fruity flavour, very similar to that thrown by Cooper's brewery yeast after the beer has some age.

When I say it's my best seller; that means more people come back and buy it again (and again), than any other recipe. Very close to Coopers Pale Ale.

MHB

...firstly let me say i've never done that particular kit...but i figure you couldn't give a toss if it didn't turn out like vb or xxxx so ...okay heres my 2 cents worth ...i recently did this brew with a homebrand lager kit...****original recipe called for a pilsner kit ...and 1 kg ldm no dextrose...***

bung in your kit instead of homebrand lager kit and maybe give it a burl...whats the worst that could happen ....
homebrand lager kit
750 g ldm
250 g dried wheat malt
350 g dextrose
400 g caramunich malt grain
20 g chocolate grain
12 g Hersbrucker hops @ 15 mins
10 g Tettnanger hops @ 15 mins
5 g Hersbrucker hops @ 5 mins
5 g Tettnanger hops @ 5 mins
5 g Hersbrucker hops @ 0-1 mins
5 g Tettnanger hops @ 0-1 mins
us -56 ale yeast
yeast pitched at about 16 -18 /c

don't ask me whats its like its still in the fermenter ...but the bloke who gave me the recipe had a beaut AG version he did...if its half as good i'll be stoked
cheers simpletotoro

Recently I entered some of my AG beers in the local show and every one of them one a first or second.
Not a bad result
View attachment 12699

As a prize, I was given a Can of Coopers Australian Bitter and a tin of light malt...
The Stewart then asked me " Do you know what to do with these ....? "

I then had to think....jeez I havnt done a kit in years...what do I do because I know absolutly nothing about what this kit tastes like
So here is a chance for the K&K crew to answer a question form an AG'er...
What is the beer like generally ie bitterness, hoop aroma and flavour, and could it be improved with some extra hoppingfor some more flavour etc...

Yes, I know I am going to get a ribbing for this... :ph34r:

Strange prize for an all-grainer. :huh:

Latest posts

Back