Burner Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
I have just bought a 90L aluminium pot for my BIAB setup, cost of $80, not too bad. Now i need a burner. We are going to brew double batches, well enough to fill two kegs, so about 40L in the end.
Have been looking at the Mongolian burner from Craftbrewer with the 32 tips and medium pressure reg. Can anybody recommend this burner to get a good boil or is there something better on the market?

NASA burner, Italian Spiral burner - these are too other options.

I have the Italian Spiral with a Medium pressure reg. Its bloody excellent and goes hard. It also comes with a nifty little stand for it.

www.beerbelly.com.au have them.

Been plenty on here how a 10 jet is plenty on a regular reg to get that sort of ammount up to a boil. I have 10 and 23 just havent hooked them up yet. 10 JET for the kettle and 23 jet for quick heat of mash. Search on here for aus crown as they deal these direct to public.

Cheers

I have the 20jet with med pressure reg, wish I had gone nasa....

This is after hasving my 3ring modified, against 20jet mongolian, against Nasa side by side.

QldKev

I love my Italian spiral burner with medium pressure reg. Nice and quiet while still being VERY powerful! It boils 50L on less than half power. I think it could handle 100L.

NASA and Italian spiral are all good, but it comes down to cash. The Italian is more expensive but the NASA is louder (but only on full pressure) I went the NASA and don't regret it at all.

Jay

Dont know how to do the whole linky thing yet, not too computer literate but was just on ebay looking at burners. They have a couple of new ones being
65mj burner with medium reg for $170 or
130mj wok burner with adjustable reg for $200.
These are from Campsie, Sydney and can pick up or send.
What are the thoughts on these? I dont know the specs on the nasa or italian but i know the rambo is only 50mj so these have by far more grunt to get a good boil up. Price isnt the issue as i am going halves so $100 each is a bargain if they are good enough.

Sure you need to get your water boiling, but all it really needs to do is hold a rolling boil for a while...

If you plan your brewday, then your water will be at mash temp when you need it, and once you pull the bag (so to speak - I could have said, drain the Esky) it'll be coming to a boil within 10 minutes (this'll be 40 litres of brown water with a Rambo).

Any more grunt and I reckon the bottom of my Ally pot would distort!

Edited to add, the NASA is good too...

Hi Ivesy,

I assume you're talking about this burner http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Safety-High-Pre...#ht_1524wt_1167

It looks the goods although it seems to come with a normal BBQ regulator not a medium or high pressure one (see the questions at bottom of page). I'm not sure if it would operate up to the quoted 65mj with this reg. It looks very similar to the rambo which definitely needs the medium reg.

Hi Ivesy,

I assume you're talking about this burner http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Safety-High-Pre...#ht_1524wt_1167

It looks the goods although it seems to come with a normal BBQ regulator not a medium or high pressure one (see the questions at bottom of page). I'm not sure if it would operate up to the quoted 65mj with this reg. It looks very similar to the rambo which definitely needs the medium reg.

That's the Rambo...

Too many technical numbers, but I think Dave's correct about the Regulator...

Yeah thats the one i was talking about. I will have to look into how to do the links with my posts. (any tips?). Yeah it seems it only comes with the regular reg so might not be that great.
And as Scruffy noted, i was worried if my aluminium pot could handle too much heat.
Oh well it looks like its back to the drawing board, choosing between the NASA and the Italian with medium reg. The only thing that concerns me is the noise of the NASA, is it really that loud? Is it the sort of noise that will pee the neighours off? I think that will determine my final choice. Cant wait to get one, get my bag sewn up and we are in business.
Cheers once again for the replies.

Latest posts

Back