Burner Height

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Im moving into AG and I saw a post about testing burners which resulted in the concrete below exploding..

I've order a Italian Spiral Burner (see below)
Will the stand in the picture be suitable height? if not what height are people running theses at?
ITAI.gif

Im moving into AG and I saw a post about testing burners which resulted in the concrete below exploding..

I've order a Italian Spiral Burner (see below)
Will the stand in the picture be suitable height? if not what height are people running theses at?
ITAI.gif

We're running an Italian Spiral with an identical stand to the one pictured, plus one of beerbelly's adjustable medium pressure regulators. It sits straight on a wooden platform and hasn't (to date) burnt the wood at all (we're doing 60min boils on 60-70l of wrt).

And yesterday we boiled up 60 litres of tomato sauce with it and had the stand sitting straight on the concrete floor in the shed - no problems.

I think Wayne only experienced the exploding floor (!) when he attached a high pressure reg.

Cheers

Breezy

We're running an Italian Spiral with an identical stand to the one pictured, plus one of beerbelly's adjustable medium pressure regulators. It sits straight on a wooden platform and hasn't (to date) burnt the wood at all (we're doing 60min boils on 60-70l of wrt).

And yesterday we boiled up 60 litres of tomato sauce with it and had the stand sitting straight on the concrete floor in the shed - no problems.

I think Wayne only experienced the exploding floor (!) when he attached a high pressure reg.

Cheers

Breezy

I run one of these on a medium pressure reg from Wayne. If you give them enough gas you can see flame spilling back down through the central hole. I have a metal heat shield under mine and the galv is a quite scorched from it. How hard you have to go to spall the concrete I haven't tried but it is definitely plausible!

I run one of these on a medium pressure reg from Wayne. If you give them enough gas you can see flame spilling back down through the central hole. I have a metal heat shield under mine and the galv is a quite scorched from it. How hard you have to go to spall the concrete I haven't tried but it is definitely plausible!

for the metal heat sheild can you just use anything? just as long as its covering the ground? or do you require thickness etc..

I have an identical setup on a small wooden stand I built, mine has scorched the wood quite a bit. I intend sticking a bit of fibre cement sheet on and possible a few large ceramic tiles.

I do 60 minute boils, single batch and it only scorches if its turned up high (way too high for my 30+ litre boils

Andy

I have a few layers of that cement fibre board stuff under my burners. I was recommended to do so by a bunch of people. cost a couple $ from bunnings, and i havent exploded any of my garage floor yet :p

for the metal heat sheild can you just use anything? just as long as its covering the ground? or do you require thickness etc..
Mine is in a stand not immediately above cement or wood. It is just a bit of stray galv from the back of an old washing machine, maybe.8mm thick.
The main thing with the metal is that it would need a decent air gap under it (a few cm's?) so you aren't just hiding the problem.

Didn't want to start a new thread. This is my second AG and finally have my three ring and medium pressure reg goin. I have read a bit about solid concrete exploding, but what about these pavers? I am hoping there could be some room for expansion in the gaps?

It all went fine, but when sticking my head down to check the flame, I couldn't get the exploding concrete thread out of bloody head, was a bit paranoid <_< ...

I need to get a stand made up, but suggestions, warnings, ok's would be appreciated guys.
Cheers, John.

103_0490.JPG

Didn't want to start a new thread. This is my second AG and finally have my three ring and medium pressure reg goin. I have read a bit about solid concrete exploding, but what about these pavers? I am hoping there could be some room for expansion in the gaps?

It all went fine, but when sticking my head down to check the flame, I couldn't get the exploding concrete thread out of bloody head, was a bit paranoid <_< ...

I need to get a stand made up, but suggestions, warnings, ok's would be appreciated guys.
Cheers, John.

View attachment 34292

any tip/refuse shops in your neck of the woods ?

check them for old bbq stands, with a little modding can be made into a stand , at a push hit all the op shops, vinnies, salvos etc.

cheers
Dave

any tip/refuse shops in your neck of the woods ?

check them for old bbq stands, with a little modding can be made into a stand , at a push hit all the op shops, vinnies, salvos etc.

cheers
Dave

Chuck it on a bit of Fibre cement or even a pizza tray. The metal will get hot but it will dissipate some of the heat so you don't get a hot spot and exploding concrete.

Before my brewframe & when I had my gravity setup the NASA (High pressure) sat on 2 x double height house bricks with an old sheet of Burnie board underneath.
After a 90 minute boil the sheet underneath the bricks was still very hot to the touch. To my mind you are better off over-compensating height wise than under-compensating.

TP

I just sit mine on some regular house bricks. Bricks have originally been kilned at high heat so they should be fine.

This advice was given to me by GG staff when I asked, having read the same thread and certainly the 6 or so brews I have done on my new burner have led to no exploding concrete or bricks. My mind has been put at ease and I'm now more concerned about running out of gas (yes manticle, a 9 kg bottle would have been a better purchase than a 4.5).

I take no responsibility if anyone else's bricks explode though.

I just sit mine on some regular house bricks. Bricks have originally been kilned at high heat so they should be fine.

This advice was given to me by GG staff when I asked, having read the same thread and certainly the 6 or so brews I have done on my new burner have led to no exploding concrete or bricks. My mind has been put at ease and I'm now more concerned about running out of gas (yes manticle, a 9 kg bottle would have been a better purchase than a 4.5).

I take no responsibility if anyone else's bricks explode though.

Once again, some good advice fellas.

I'll go for the extra height with the clay bricks and acquire some burn board. Cheers guys.

its not the house bricks but the concrete slab. either get a tile or sheet of steel to stop hotspots directly under the burner. i wet down the surrounding area every 10/15mins.

its not the house bricks but the concrete slab. either get a tile or sheet of steel to stop hotspots directly under the burner. i wet down the surrounding area every 10/15mins.
Not that I use a gas burner, but wouldn't wetting the area make it more likely to explode? The whole very hot concrete/bricks/whatever and a sudden burst of cold water making things contract at different rates and spraying bits of masonry everywhere?

Once again, some good advice fellas.

I'll go for the extra height with the clay bricks and acquire some burn board. Cheers guys.
Just use your BBQ plate on the bricks mate....works a treat.

PB

Cheers, John.

View attachment 34292
john,try the motorbike shops they usually throw away the metal packing frames that the bikes are shipped in.you may be doing them a favour so they dont have to dump them cheers......spog.......

john,try the motorbike shops they usually throw away the metal packing frames that the bikes are shipped in.you may be doing them a favour so they dont have to dump them cheers......spog.......

Good stuff, so many solutions now.

Cheers again, blokes. :beer:

Good stuff, so many solutions now.

Cheers again, blokes. :beer:

Grab a small sheet of fibro sheeting from the tip or recycle shop to put under the burner.

Screwy

I made this stand out of an old chair frame from the tip and some fibre cement offcuts- all the welding is done for you. Works a treat- reduced the wind a bit, has castors on the bottom of the legs to make it easy to move a full kettle around and is the right height to run off straight into the fermenter without lifting the kettle.

Cookin__.JPG

Alf

Latest posts

Back