Burner For 180l Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itmechanic

Reaction score
Im getting a new kettle custom made and will be aiming for 140L batches. Im looking for a gas burner that will boil around 180 litres or wort. Any ideas? I would prefer not to go electric at this stage as i already have gas on.

Cheers
itmechanic

Looked at steam?
Cheaper on the energy cost. Maybe more initial cost.

Do a search, but if I remember correctly the Italian spiral burners are good for large volumes.

Hirns

I use a HP200 2 ring high pressure job for 170+l boils. It works well as do the Italian spiral as mentioned.

Steam is also another method, but isn't as easy

make sure you have a good stand for that volume

We recently did a big brew day in a 170L kettle on an italian spiral.
It took a while to get to the boil and was helped with an immersion element, but the spiral kept it going once it got there.

gregor

I use a HP200 2 ring high pressure job for 170+l boils. It works well as do the Italian spiral as mentioned.

Steam is also another method, but isn't as easy

make sure you have a good stand for that volume

The HP200 sounds good, as does the Italian Spiral. Whats gas consumption like for the HP200 with a 170L boil?

I was looking at 32 jet mongolian burners but dont really want the soot at low flame levels.

The HP200 sounds good, as does the Italian Spiral. Whats gas consumption like for the HP200 with a 170L boil?

I was looking at 32 jet mongolian burners but dont really want the soot at low flame levels.

How much LPG will depend if you are 3V or BIAB.

BIAB you use the same LPG to heat the initial water - I would expect to use at least 6kg of LPG for a full batch.

3V you would use a lot less as your HLT (and maybe HERMS for mash out) would be running from a separate heating source.

QldKev

like QLD KEV estimated - around 6kg - depends a bit on how cold both the ambient air temp is & if I use cold water to heat for strike / sparge or cheat & use hot water from my house HWS

lots of guys use the mongolians & don't complain about sooting. Use the google search option & I'm sure you will find more info on them

info on the hp200 http://www.auscrown.com/hpcastiron.php

info on mongolians http://www.auscrown.com/commjetbrn.php

I use an Italian Spiral and have a 105L pot and even with my low pressure reg it does it no worries.

If you go Italian with your bigger volume I would recommend a high pressure reg personally - will get you where you need to go much quicker (although you will go through gas). Most people recommend Italians with medium reg for standard 40/50L batches, but you're taking it a bit further than that ;)

Also worth considering is a NASA burner, also called a turkey burner by some people. Saw one in action at a club brew last weekend with a high pressure reg on it (reg from beerbelly, I think the burner was a grain & grape one) - and it hit strike temp faster than anything I've seen before, way quicker than mine. They do make a bit more noise than an italian though. I like mine cos' I night brew.

Hopper.

I seem to recall there was a photo someplace around here of a "prawn burner" favoured by trawlermen for getting the prawns cooked in a jiffy. It was seriously frightening, like a jet afterburner.

cheers

grant

Italian spiral with bigger reg sounds like the go then.

Im also getting a 200L HLT and 150L Stainless mash tun made. HLT will also be gas heated with solonoid and pilot light, will probobly get the same burner as the kettle.

Its going to be a HERMS rig too, will be my first experience with HERMS so will be a bit of a learning experience. I want to do everything right the first time and preferebly everything stainless steet as i hope that one day this will be for a small nano/micro brewery.

Thanks for the help :)

The 32 jet mongolian boils 300 L no worries, freezes up small gas bottles quickly though. You need a larger gas bottle than the bbq 9kg.

6.jpg

don't know how they compare to the spirals and mongolians but the humble heating torch is an option, can be found here http://www.welderssupplies.com.au/product_...roducts_id=1632

Dave

The 32 jet mongolian boils 300 L no worries, freezes up small gas bottles quickly though. You need a larger gas bottle than the bbq 9kg.

I have the same issue with the HP200. Been told that a simple fix is to feed it with 2x9kg bottles at the same time. To do that you use one of those T fittings you see on the front of caravans. Haven't got around to getting the bits yet.....

If you have some time & fabrication ability you could make your own burner eg

or make a waste oil burner. Guys use em in their home forges - so they do get bloody hot! Scroll down to the 8th pic on this link http://www.abymc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is awsome! is it very loud?

Cheers,
Paul

I used one of these for my first couple of brews. Mine is actually a rock burner that the commercial fishos use in their prawn cookers. Fully cranked up it sounds like the space shuttle in the back yard. Describing the sound would do it extreme injustice, its unbelieveable. I think they call em rock burners because I believe you could melt rocks with that thing that I've got.

Crusty

Buggar the burners, i am in search of pots that size. Where did you locate??

Scotty

I have the same issue with the HP200. Been told that a simple fix is to feed it with 2x9kg bottles at the same time. To do that you use one of those T fittings you see on the front of caravans. Haven't got around to getting the bits yet.....

If you have some time & fabrication ability you could make your own burner eg

or make a waste oil burner. Guys use em in their home forges - so they do get bloody hot! Scroll down to the 8th pic on this link http://www.abymc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391 :lol:

HOLY FREAKIN SHIT

Last edited by a moderator:
6.jpg

don't know how they compare to the spirals and mongolians but the humble heating torch is an option, can be found here http://www.welderssupplies.com.au/product_...roducts_id=1632

Dave

Geez Louise!

Looks like that thing could cut an iron bar in half and then some. Does the bottom of the pot go red or what?! :eek: Actually from the shot, looks like it goes...blue!

There are some amazing cookers out there.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back