Bulk Hops From Hopsdirect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golani51

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in getting hops from the US?
Melbourne- based swap.

Yeah I'd be interested.. Let me know regarding pricing etc..

The website www.hopsdirect.com lists the prices for each hop (averaging $8-10/pound of pellets). I understand the postage to be around $48 for a 5- pound shipment. For $20/pound, I would be a happy chappy.

Please note that some of the hops is unavailable for another several months. This goes for both leaf and pellets (or one of the two) unfortunately.

So far we have (available):

Super Galena x 1
Magnum x 2

Unavailable:

Cascade x 2

That much for shipping? Thru Nikobrew I can get a pound of great Cascade hops for just $23 delivered to my door. Then if I add another pound or so I'm only paying for the cost of the hops with no more shipping costs added. If you are only after one or two pounds they would be the cheaper option and they have more varieties in stock currently. Shipping is $14US for up to 2 1/2lbs.

interested in a pound of magnum and cascade

Depends on who they use to ship.

USPS is pretty cheap ... $15 small box up to 4lb or $45 large box up to 20lb

UPS on the other hand is in most cases a lot more.

Not sure why they chose one over the other.

Golani51, in what suburb is the pick-up point when the hops arrive in Melbourne?

Golani51, in what suburb is the pick-up point when the hops arrive in Melbourne?

I am in Caulfield, close to a couple of the guys in on the buy.

We have 10lb or so already so we'll be able to get a better deal on postage. Compared to prices locally, it will be a sweet purchase. Great savings for all.

I am in Caulfield, close to a couple of the guys in on the buy.

We have 10lb or so already so we'll be able to get a better deal on postage. Compared to prices locally, it will be a sweet purchase. Great savings for all.

Ok, not too far for me to drive for pick-up. Just put me down for 1lb Super Galena as in my previous post.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hey Mate.

I'd also be interested in a pound or 2. Would you mind shipping them up to me?

Thanks,
Matt.

Golani51, do you have a better estimate of how much shipping will add to the per pound price?

It will cost $45 to ship a maximum of 6lb of pellets.

Larger than that and economics don't add up. Bring the order up to 12lb and you can do 2 boxes.

Still darn cheap compared to buying by the gram locally , especially on some varieties.

Not sure when you plan on putting this order in but Im in need of the Cascade right now. Think I'll give my pound allocation to someone else as I'll order my hops tonight and saves me a trip to the SE to get them negating the $6 or so I save.

Cheers anyway.

I looked at doing a bulk buy a few months ago. In the end it was cheaper to put the orders into the 7 pound boxes (around $55 shipping). Where it can get really cheap is if you buy a whole lot of the same hops. If you get 11lbs of the same variety it will fit into the box that holds 7 pound mixed. If you got a few brewers together it wouldn't be too hard to get enough to get a few high use varieties.

I think you can also get a 44lb bag into the larger box, might be the one that fits 20lb of mixed hops? Not sure about this one as it was so long ago and i knew i wasn't going to be able to convince the local brewers to get 44lbs of the same hops!

Buying from hopsdirect is so good. They ship really quickly and their hops are so fresh. Just make sure you got enough room to store them. My freezer is absolutely chockers full at the moment, i think i have about 9kg of different hops in there at the moment. And the other thing is i've gone off really hoppy beers! Been making amber and aussie ales lately!

Golani51, how are things looking with regards to placing an order?

Latest posts

Back