Bulk Buy: Real Ale Beer Engine Cellar Equip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you after the following Real Ale Beer Engine Cellar Equp?

• Cask Breather/Aspirator only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Check Valve only

• Non Return Valve only

• Cask Breather/Aspirator and Check Valve

• Cask Breather/Aspirator and Non Return Valve

• Cask Breather/Aspirator and Check Valve and Non Return Valve

• Total voters

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Details for each of the components.
The pricing is based on a minimum of 10 units per part number. So if no one wants Non-return valves that is fine. Cask Breathers is what we are mostly after I'd imagine, but I got pricing on all three components to save stuffing around with the supplier.
Pricing does NOT include postage to Australia, and then postage from me to you.

Cask Aspirator ~17.95 each

The cask aspirator maintains the condition of traditional beer at its best, eliminating contamination by air and extending the product life.

* Does not apply any CO2 pressure onto the beer thus allowing natural breathing and avoids any pressure build-up in the cask.
* CO2 is supplied to the breather at line pressure and on demand will provide CO2 to the barrel at NIL pressure. A sealed system precludes all foul air, oxygen airborne bacteria etc. from beer contact maintaining the condition of the beer for longer periods without the disadvantages of blanket pressure systems which introduce CO2 into the beer.

cellarcaskaspiratorbig.jpg

Check Valve ~ 10.15 each
A very simple valve designed to control the flow of beer to Beer Engines using CO2 pressure or electric pump.

* Operation of beer pump opens the check valve causing a pressure drop, thus activating pressure switch to middle setting.
* The advantage of this system is that less beer is contained in the line thereby avoiding the problems associated with large volumes of static beer.
* Connected into the line, the check valve has no adjustments and is maintenance free.

cellarcheckvalvebig.jpg

Non Return Valve ~ 6.15 each
A very simple valve designed to control the flow of beer to Beer Engines by stopping back-flush.

* For use as a final safeguard against running back of beer into the cask.
* Fitted directly to the cask tap the diaphragm valve operates with absolute reliability.
* Causes no restrictions that create heavy pulling action.
* Easily fitted and complete with tail to fit standard cask tap nuts, various tube sizes or direct to the beer engine.
* Available in straight or 90 variety.

cellarnonreturnbig.jpg

Finally please only respond if you are genuinely interested in particpating in this potential bulk buy, and keep the posts on topic.
I DON'T want to see ANY hop related bulk buy posts here. They (and any other off topic posts) will be deleted without correspondence to keep this thread tidy.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: Component name, breather => aspirator

I am in Doc. At least for a cask breather, but will do some further research before committing to a check valve or non return valve.

thanks for taking the initiative and organising it.

cheers
Roach

im interested doc but a bit unsure about the cask side of things.are we talking about wooden casks here.?

cheers
big d

I havent got around to researching this, but obviously you have Doc. Am I right in thinking that
-I can connect CO2 from a reg providing 100 kPa to the breather and it will regulate that down to zero pressure going into the cask/keg?
-The check valve is a kind of flow restricter which I shouldnt need if I have the keg at zero pressure and pull it through with the engine?

Doc.

I'm contemplating building the BYO DIY beer engine. I'd be interested in a cask breather. Doing the pound to peso maths it works out to about $42 per unit? Sound about right? :)

How long do you think it will be before ordering? :unsure:

Warren -

roach said:
I am in Doc. At least for a cask breather, but will do some further research before committing to a check valve or non return valve.

Depending on your install solution a cask breather is probably all you need.

big d said:
im interested doc but a bit unsure about the cask side of things.are we talking about wooden casks here.?

We are looking at configuring a Beer Engine with corny kegs.

Guest Lurker said:
I havent got around to researching this, but obviously you have Doc. Am I right in thinking that
-I can connect CO2 from a reg providing 100 kPa to the breather and it will regulate that down to zero pressure going into the cask/keg?
-The check valve is a kind of flow restricter which I shouldnt need if I have the keg at zero pressure and pull it through with the engine?
[post="113075"][/post]​

Not quite. The CO2 will be at about 5 PSI into the cask breather, and the cask breather will add CO2 to the keg to replace the liquid that is pulled off with the beer engine.

The check valve is used normally when the keg/cask is located above the beer engine.

warrenlw63 said:
Doc.

I'm contemplating building the BYO DIY beer engine. I'd be interested in a cask breather. Doing the pound to peso maths it works out to about $42 per unit? Sound about right? :)

Warren -
[post="113085"][/post]​

That math sounds about right, but does not include international and then local shipping.

Beers,
Doc

warrenlw63 said:

Sorry, didn't answer this question.
Will be ordering when we have enough interest to get the quoted pricing (ie. 10 Cask Breathers).

I'll be confirming the shipping costs etc and asking for money up front to place the order. I really don't want to be out of pocket on this one.

Beers,
Doc

I am interested, I need to do some more research on what else I need.

I have looked at the pumps on ebay in the past. The cost to get one posted to Aus from the UK was large due to their weight.

one more question doc.can the beer engine handle multiple kegs/casks or is it one per unit .

cheers
big d

big d said:
one more question doc.can the beer engine handle multiple kegs/casks or is it one per unit .

cheers
big d
[post="113211"][/post]​

Do you mean, can the cask aspirator/breather handle multiple kegs/casks ?
If you had non return valves on the gas lines after the breather I don't see why not. But I have no experience even doing one, so maybe someone has an experienced answer.

Beers,
Doc

yeah sorry doc.beer engine was meant to be as you said.aspirator/breather.maybe delboy has some info about this one as i no he is into the beer engine stuff via his posts.sean may even have some info

cheers
big d

Ok doc Big d

welcome to the world of anticamra casking LoL

answer to question multi casks on one breather. =YES if non return valve used after breather . this is ok in home bar with multi or dual engine (hand pull)
NO in a commercial situation as in a normal type of pub with multi engines and users if two pumps or pulls get used at the same time the 2-5 psi from the cask breather connot feed both casks .the cask breather works on atmophric pressure and relies on the vaccume of the cask when the ale is pulled out .

second thing i would like to clear up hear is a slight miss understanding the cask breather is quite different to that of the cask aspirator.
what we are actually looking at hear Doc is a cask aspirator (not being pedantic)
but there is a clear difference .

the aspirator as it is dose just that it aspirates co2 into the cask
where as the breather lets the cask breath normal air as the liquid is pulled up the air is let in very slowley buy the means of a littel spring loaded flap and a cotton filter

in the old days casks were bunged and removed for service and replaced with a soft peg at the end of each service a hard peg was fitted buy the cellar master .
nower days pubs are open allday in england so this meathod is no longer used so the breather and the aspirator was invented as cask ale was spoiling from being exposed to long if the were slow sellers .certain cask ales or popular ales that get finish within 3 days use a breather and is applied for the duration of the cask as cellermasters or men are no longer used.and service periods are longer (ie opening hours are like us in aus)
for slower selling casks the aspirator is used to prolong the life of a cask with a blanket of co2.
hope this makes some sense as i am passionate about cellering as i am a cellermaster and worked the pup cellers in the uk when i left aus to live in england with my extended family (thats another storie though)
it was the best job in the world but poorly paid and the fringe benifits made up for the pay.
delboy

:)

Great clarifying post there Delboy.
Overnight I've received another quote from the UK from another supplier.
Their Cask Aspirators are in the 30 range, so the price for the one in my first post is top notch.

I'd encourage anyone considering building the BYO DIY Beer Engine, or anyone who is contemplating getting a Beer Engine in the next 12 months or so, to get in on this BB, as one of units of these cellar parts aren't cheap to get and are not availalbe in Aus. This will let the BB happen for us, and save you stuffing around trying to find suppliers and parts when you get your engine.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

I may be interested in an aspirator once you confirm final costs - I'm over in the uk every year, so I can pick up one or two there if freight is too prohibative...

cheers Ross...

Ross said:
Doc,

I may be interested in an aspirator once you confirm final costs..
[post="113255"][/post]​

Ditto.

Cheers.

Morning Ross and Duff.

For Aspirators only the cost will be in the vicinity of ~17.95 (~ AU$43) each plus shipping. I'm hoping these things will be quite light, and also with 10 guys in on it the shipping split 10 ways will make it all quite reasonable.

If I count you guys both in for an Aspirator then we are up to 5, so half way there.

When is your next trip to the UK Ross ?

Beers,
Doc

Sorry Doc.

Got the Red light from SWMBO.

Strike me off. Apologies again. :(

Warren -

Doc said:
Morning Ross and Duff.

For Aspirators only the cost will be in the vicinity of ~17.95 (~ AU$43) each plus shipping. I'm hoping these things will be quite light, and also with 10 guys in on it the shipping split 10 ways will make it all quite reasonable.

If I count you guys both in for an Aspirator then we are up to 5, so half way there.

When is your next trip to the UK Ross ?

Beers,
Doc
[post="113260"][/post]​

Doc,

My experience from the UK is that freight is horrendously expensive, but as you say, split 10 ways, probably not so bad - The supplier should be able to give you a rate on 10 delivered, so we can see the actual cost.
I go over to UK normally July/Aug, but I'm waiting news on a European contract which will require me to fly over at a moments notice - there again I've been waiting 3 months already....

cheers Ross...

DAMN, do I need it, NO! Do I want it, hell yes.
Put me down for an aspirator to Doc.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back