Building stuff in the shed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top right corner of screen shot below for the benefit of those without one

View attachment 110464

Coincidental how I featured in that screen grab as our business is very much involved in that racket, at least in the component side.

My advice on the current crop of to
88843-a99edbbe192ae4a9ed7378104e1412f2.jpg
88844-49bd643fda16c317afbd6c2f4380aad5.jpg
89193-9588a2e22ebdf4440c22b54a26c79a60.jpg

Built my own grain mill :)

Now all you need is a vertical mill and you'll never have to go inside again.

Coincidental how I featured in that screen grab as our business is very much involved in that racket, at least in the component side.

My advice on the current crop of to

Now all you need is a vertical mill and you'll never have to go inside again.
full

Should launch next year ( don't know how many years I've said that ), finished spraying the 3 sleeping cabins this week, almost ready to do saloon/galley and head/shower next. The only thing left to make are the booms. Had the masts professionally made by a mates brother, 14.5m carbon unstayed masts ( they rotate on the carbon posts sticking out of each hull ). Might just be a stinky boat until I make the booms.

Last chance before final fitout to put a couple of gimballed fermeters in one of the cabins, and a cobra font in the cockpit next to the compass.

Feldon, maybe councils universally don't like people building boats in sheds , this is my little project with shed removal in progress. What I find a little odd is they have no problem with the boat being there, just the shed.
View attachment 110472

That is incredible! How long did you take to build this, and was it your first? So seriously impressed.

Scenes from the shed...

Timber collection
2017-12-17 16.58.05-01.jpeg

2017-12-17%2016.58.05.jpg

Sharpening day... first sharpen for a new set of chisels. 240 grit wet & dry on a granite block to flatten the backs and set the angle then 1000,5000 and 8000 grit stones.
2017-12-17 17.14.23-01.jpeg

2017-12-17%2017.14.23.jpg

Oh yeah...
2017-12-17 18.04.45-01.jpeg

2017-12-17%2018.04.45.jpg

I took a three-month course in sharpening Japanese chisels and planes. It’s insane. The stones are glorious. The first three years of a Japanese carpenter’s apprenticeship are tool sharpening.

I do love my Japanese ceramic stones. Fast cutting and much harder than a normal waterstone so they don't dish so easily. A few seconds on the granite block with some 240 grit trues them up nicely in no time at all. They make a 12000 grit which I might get one of these days. But the 8000 gets this mighty sharp.

My sharpening obsession is only moderate. I do know people who spend so much time sharpening that try get nothing actually done. They do have very sharp tools though...

My shed is so full of (my wife’s) stuff that its impossible to work in. Got to go outside to change my mind, and have to move tools and things to a table in the carport to do stuff. But, just as a home is where the heart is, a shed is where you do shit (not the toilet). The shed is a temple of dreams that crosses all social, political and ethic borders. They are where the most outrageous ideas combine with dangerous electrical equipment and volatile substances. Just look at those crafty ISIS guys tinkering away making IEDs in mud brick sheds in the Middle East – squint and you can see a bunch of local kids bum-cracking over the bonnet of an old Falcon in a neighbour’s galvo shed. The faith is universal.

Been watching this YouTube series about a couple of blokes in the New England area of the US who have decided to build a wooden boat and sail around the world. They’re starting from scratch, chopping down great-granddad’s trees and milling the timber not just for the boat but for a woodshed to season the boat timbers, and the scrap to be used as fuel to melt the lead for the ballast keel. And they build a tall boat shed in the front yard from a plastic tarp and lightweight wooden frame, only for the local building inspector to crack the shits (further proof of the universality of sheds). Their videos show their progress warts and all. This early one about the tree felling has its wry moments. I like their attitude and wish them well in their shed of dreams.

Thought I'd give this a bump this weekend for anybody who was interested in this boat build at the time but didn't keep up. You've got a bit of binge watching ahead of you.
It's come a long way in more than three years. Some amazing metal and wood crafting skills have been shown, along with a lot of persistence . She's just about fully planked now and the internal fit-out starting soon.

1624069421217.png

Here's a two minute video of the build so far :

Twelve months have passed and it's time for another bump.

I’ll be having a wee nip this weekend (with a few beer chasers) while I watch the live stream on YouTube of the whiskey plank being shuttered-in. It’s a big milestone.

And a local TV station that runs a series of short docos called Made in Massachusetts has done an episode on it.

Back