Brisbane water profile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
Anyone have a link for up to date details? And what's the easiest way of finding out what I need to add and how much for different beer styles? E.g wanting to replicate burton water profile for an IPA?

Can't help on brisbane profile but you have 3 options.

1. Email water company, get relevant profile averages and guesstimate. This is ok if your water is not treated with chloramines and is soft and slightly acidic or pH neutral. Most melbourne water is like that. Haven't brewed in my new state but I don't think there will be too much difference.

2. Get your water tested each time. Effective but impractical unless you are a lab or annual brewer.

3. Get an RO unit and make your water a blank slate. Add salts to build preferred profile. Cons are the initial outlay for the unit and some wasted water but pros are the simplicity of knowing and trusting your base water.

In any case you will then need to add minerals (unless 1 means you have mineral and chlorine rich water, in which case 3 is a worthwhile investment).

You can find purported historical water profiles in beersmith, how to brew and elsewhere and they will tell you what salts to add to achieve that if you provide the base you start from.

Personally I see that as a bad approach - water profiles change, historical reporting is not always accurate, given profiles presume historical ignorance (no tinkering with base water) and even if accurate, presume that is the best rather than available water.

Get base water right according to grist and desired water, add minerals and/or acid to achieve that.

City

Calcium
(Ca+2)

Magnesium
(Mg+2)

Bicarbonate
(HCO3-1)

SO4-2

Na+1

Cl-1

Beer Style

Pilsen

Pilsener

Dortmund

Export Lager

Vienna

Vienna Lager

Munich

Oktoberfest

London

British Bitter

Edinburgh

Scottish Ale

Burton

India Pale Ale

Dublin

Dry Stout

I agree with Manticle not the right approach but I'm no expert

I have read & use Brun Water, heaps out there, just google

BABBs used to have it on their site?

All I remember from Brissy is that there's just a shitload of chlorine.

OT
@ Manticle.
From an ex Tassie brewer..
I used to go up to the Springs at Mt Wellington, collect water from there. The water is as soft as a fairies fart. Perfect for Pilsners.

The water profile changes as well depending on where it rains in the dam catchment areas. Dad used to work in a lab where they routinely tested the Brisbane tap water and it was always different in hardness etc.

tazman1967 said:
OT
@ Manticle.
From an ex Tassie brewer..
I used to go up to the Springs at Mt Wellington, collect water from there. The water is as soft as a fairies fart. Perfect for Pilsners.
Been meaning to get up there. Can see it from my house, looks pretty (and cold)

The problem with Brisbane is the SEQ Water Grid, you haven't a clue where you water is coming from and the "they"and "Their retailers" appear to change their websites frequently so you can't get any historical analysis

Before the Grid Brisbane City Council published monthly chemical analysis for all their resivoirs. At BABBs we used to append the BCC data to our website. I'm of the opinion that nobody is recording this data anymore and that they think that it is irrelevant for the public to know what they are drinking provided it is deemed to be within australian standard guidlines.

manticle said:
Been meaning to get up there. Can see it from my house, looks pretty (and cold)
You mean up to Brisbane or Up Mount Wellintgon? The latter is much closer to you, and I tasted the water at Cascade back in the nineties before CUB and it was much better than Brisbane.

Latest posts

Back