Brisbane - single brew grain bills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderjo

Reaction score
Evening ladies and gents,
I've been out of the AG game since my LHBS shut shop some time ago. I was previously able to purchase a single brew grain bill, from the Kedron store... Since then I've brewed 5 x K&Ks which have all ended up watering the back yard. I'm keen to get back to AG brewing but don't know where to obtain the small amounts of grain for single or double brews. Hoping the AHB community can help guide me to my nearest alternative. I'm in Kallangur on the North side of Brisbane.
Cheers,
John.

You free tomorrow, Pubs homebrew club is having its first meeting for the year in Kallangur.

Unfortunately not. PM with details of the next one?

The stafford store has it. Sponsors up the top will also be able to help, will cost a couple of bucks for postage but the price is still good.

Have you thought about buying a grain mill and then buying grains in bulk? Then you can just store them and crush grains as needed for each batch rather than having to buy them all the time.

orsm Brad - cheers. This is exactly what I was after. Rocker - yeah, have looked at it, but when I conside some brews require 200gm of something or other, it would take a while to get through 20kg... + storage etc... I've put a few dollars in over the last 6 years or so, and still $300 for a mill seems out there. Cheers boys appreciate the quick responses.

That's why I only buy base malt in 25kg sacks. The other grains that are used in small amounts I only buy in 2 or 3 kg amounts at a time. The cost of a mill does seem expensive, but at least to me it's worth it, even if just for the convenience of not having to buy grain every time I brew a batch. :)

henderjo said:
orsm Brad - cheers. This is exactly what I was after. Rocker - yeah, have looked at it, but when I conside some brews require 200gm of something or other, it would take a while to get through 20kg... + storage etc... I've put a few dollars in over the last 6 years or so, and still $300 for a mill seems out there. Cheers boys appreciate the quick responses.
I am assuming your local was Brewers Choice? The Kedron and Everton stores merged and are now at Stafford. I use the Stafford store when I need something the same day but they are limited in stock but still have a fair bit of base and specialty grains.
From the sponsors at the top, Both National Homebrew and Craftbrewer will mill your grain to order. Whilst Craftbrewer is closer (Capalaba) and they will get your order out the door quickly, the fastway couriers can take a few days to get an order from Capalaba to Kallangur. I can get an order from National Homebrew (Hervey Bay) delivered to Kallangur quicker than from Capalaba, by days. Both retailers are more than helpful over the phone.

Cheers

I order milled grain from Craftbrewer online and organise to pick up on a day that I can be over that way - if you need to courier just order two brews worth at a time and throw in some yeasties and hops to help defray the cost of said courier. They will mill and mix your grain bill/s exactly as you specify and put them in air-locked bags. Have had some great service, advice and a decent yarn or two with their staff.

Call Steve at Hippy Days or look at his web site. He will sort you out. Even better if you are on the North side. Best price I can find.

Happy to help you out at Brewer's Choice Stafford, call or shoot me an email and I will sort you out.

cheers

Can't seem to edit my previous post. Hoppy Days it should say. Hippy Days would be for a different type of hops.

I usually go down to CB for the drive and chat, but hoppydays is great for cheap grain, and if you grab their specials (currently Weyermann Pale Ale malt for $2.90 per kg in 5 kg lots) and grab 3 brews worth in one time (and amortise the postage), it really ends up economical.

Or if Steve is around, he might let you pick up, if you PM him before purchase.

So I might be guilty of necromancing... but I've just read these later replies and can't stop laughing at the thought of searching HippyDays... Still gigling... BTW - Brewer's Choice Stafford got my money. BIG thumbs up to the boys, really professional service. Watched them help out a bloke fitting a hose clamp to his regulator after he had a leak. They ended up verging on an argument to NOT take his money - Classic! and a really good sign of the value of your LHBS. Again a BIG thumbs up for BC Stafford - and thanks to all for the replies. Johnny.

Back