Recent grain bill findings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
Being a bit of a noob to all grain brewing I read about the pitfalls us newcomers to the game often get trapped in such as going too hard on the specialty malts. Even though I knew this was a no-no I did it anyway, just to be sure!..

I'm finding that the simpler my bill becomes, the better the finished product. For instance, I was doing pilsners with 40% wheat malt. Never as good as a 100% pale malt bill. Don't get me started on pale and IPA's.. geez I've made some malt bombs there. So much so that you couldn't tell there were any flavour or aroma hops added but there was actually 300g worth.. I've also gone too far the other way and made a juicy fruit session IPA with no specialty malt

I find recently that even an IPA with 300g cara and 150g crystal 60 is far too malty and 'heavy' so am going to drop tight back to 200g or so specialty next time. I'm wanting to try rye soon. Loving the pale styles incorporating this!

What are your thoughts, do you have a favorite set limit of a fave per style?

I like to go the other way- how simple can I make the malt bill.

Like all one malt. Or 2 malts where the second won't overpower like Pilsner/Vienna combos or even all Vienna.

Until you know their contribution, you have to stop faffing about. Superb commercial beers are usually made from a limited combination of malts

I agree the simpler the better. I've been steering away from crystal/cara malts almost completely, and instead subbing a portion of the base malt with munich1 or 2.

Hmmm, I can relate. Though Munich isn't one I've tried yet. I bought like.. 5 kilos of cara and crystal thinking I'd definitely use it. I've used about 500gms. Thinking about throwing most if it out actually

Hmmm, I can relate. Though Munich isn't one I've tried yet. I bought like.. 5 kilos of cara and crystal thinking I'd definitely use it. I've used about 500gms. Thinking about throwing most if it out actually
I only buy base malt in bulk these days. Just get spec malts as I need them for each brew and no extra. Found I was just ending up with bits and pieces of old unused spec grain.

Yeah me too. Although I'm not so much a noob anymore yet have all these specialty malts in the inventory that I'm not much interested in using anymore. Like Melanoiden, Carra Pils, Crystals, Municks, Cara Red, and others. Puzzled as to what I can do with them?
Also finding the best beers I've been making lately are the simplest. Simplicity can have its brilliance. Or is it, (there is brilliance in simplicity)?

So are you guys talking like ~95% base everytime? Do you keep your hop schedules small and limited as well? Are you effectively just making SMaSH brews? It's not a criticism by any means, just curious as to the thinking and your experiences.. predominantly what styles you are applying this logic to and are there any cutoffs where complexity has to come back into the grain/hop bill?

So are you guys talking like ~95% base everytime? Do you keep your hop schedules small and limited as well? Are you effectively just making SMaSH brews? It's not a criticism by any means, just curious as to the thinking and your experiences.. predominantly what styles you are applying this logic to and are there any cutoffs where complexity has to come back into the grain/hop bill?

Depends a lot on the style imo, a simple pale ale needs little more than 90-95% base with maybe some munich or crystal, a Belgian dark strong would easily have 5 or 6 different malt components if you wanted. If it's hop forward throw 90 percent pale in and 10 percent Munich and call it a day. At work we use three malts for our porter including base, three for our pale and they're never overpowering always a supporting role.

Edit: I should add, have a play around and enjoy experimenting, that's what homebrewing is all about at the end of the day :)

Also you can toast or crystallise your own base malt, which I find particularly helpful if I'm using pilsener as base, because it doesn't have much colour.
Torrefied wheat's pretty awesome though, also just ordinary Coles bread flour - both of them mash beautiful even at high proportions like 33 or even 50%, and bread flour is cheap as.

Being a bit of a noob to all grain brewing I read about the pitfalls us newcomers to the game often get trapped in such as going too hard on the specialty malts. Even though I knew this was a no-no I did it anyway, just to be sure!..

I'm finding that the simpler my bill becomes, the better the finished product. For instance, I was doing pilsners with 40% wheat malt. Never as good as a 100% pale malt bill. Don't get me started on pale and IPA's.. geez I've made some malt bombs there. So much so that you couldn't tell there were any flavour or aroma hops added but there was actually 300g worth.. I've also gone too far the other way and made a juicy fruit session IPA with no specialty malt

I find recently that even an IPA with 300g cara and 150g crystal 60 is far too malty and 'heavy' so am going to drop tight back to 200g or so specialty next time. I'm wanting to try rye soon. Loving the pale styles incorporating this!

What are your thoughts, do you have a favorite set limit of a fave per style?

My golden rule 3-4 malts only. Thats all you really need for most beer recipe's ( unless your making something nice and complex....but you need a few brews under your belt before going there )

Keep your Xtals under 10% in recipe, keep your base malt between 75-100%

You will find after a while you while prob only end up keeping a few Xtals and dark malts. This whole idea of having a bit of every different spec malts is a bit bullshit IMO

Dont throw your Cara & Xtal out. Store it well and it will keep for a long time. You might need them latter

And as for Rye...your pretty game to start playing with the spawning satan that is Rye during sparging

Simple is good. Even when using spec malt: be judicious. It can be like making your own curry paste or powder - lots of ingredients, each used with purpose and in harmony.

Some beers need one malt only, some 2-3, others might do well with 6 ( but much more rarely).

And as for Rye...your pretty game to start playing with the spawning satan that is Rye during sparging

This is really dependent on your system. I BIAB and regularly go up to 36% rye when I'm using it. No rice hulls. Doesn't drain as nicely but no big problem either. Have also done 100% wheats with no big issues.

This is really dependent on your system. I BIAB and regularly go up to 36% rye when I'm using it. No rice hulls. Doesn't drain as nicely but no big problem either. Have also done 100% wheats with no big issues.

This is true. But I have seen experienced brewers reduced to tears trying to sparge Rye

Hop schedules small and limited every time? Nooooo.. I also go nuts with those too (laughs) I try to get that big juicy resinous hop aroma but it rarely pokes it's head out for me. Apparently it's oxygen AFTER fermentation but I'm not sure.

Yes, I go 10% cara or crystal max now after the malt bombs. I actually did one with 30% crystal (ha!) Yes.. it didn't end in an amazing new product like I thought it would either. What is it with me and experimental brews?

This is one reason I'm glad I did overdo the crystal multiple times. I know exactly what it's capable of and tastes like now.
I like to go the other way- how simple can I make the malt bill.

Like all one malt. Or 2 malts where the second won't overpower like Pilsner/Vienna combos or even all Vienna.

Until you know their contribution, you have to stop faffing about. Superb commercial beers are usually made from a limited combination of malts

I find simpler is almost always better. Once you get down to seriously tweaking and twiddling a recipe, extra malts can add subtle elements. However O almost always enjoy simpler malt bilks than more complex.

BTW, have a go at Simpsons Golden Promise for your IPA’s. IMHAO it’s a perfect IPA malt.

Back