Brisbane Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Pete, no I don't! I've been trying to think of a witty comeback to make me seem smart...but can't get blood from a stone.

It's really sad Nick. :p
Was just reciting to the youngest grandchild a couple of days ago & on reading your post it all sprang to mind. :lol:

"Lucy Locket (Post 13) lost her pocket, Peter Fisher found it".

How sad is that??? :lol: :lol:

TP

LOL Pete...

:chug:

Tomorrow!

I'll try and bottle some beers from the keg, like the Belgian at 7.2%. Good breakfast beer eh?

Missed this thread...... Oh well, wrong time time of year to be dodging work anyway. Still got the big bag o' EKG in the freezer eh kram?

Oh yeah, tapped about 100gms of it so far. Waiting on the bulk buy to get the floor malted GP then it's English time!

G'day Nick,

I'm a springfield lakesian myself so would have loved to see what this AG thing is all about, but bloody work prohibits (why can't they pay me to drink beer????)

On saturday am going to be putting down my first brew for about six years.....geez, things have changed from when I was back in uni. I remember specifically putting the fermenter in the hottest place in the house, because I was putting the brew down a week or two before I drank myself dry, hence the urgency!

Will be putting down a (hopefully) tasty belgian ale, using a hallertau hops bag and saflager s23. All sourced from Tony at the Chapel Hill LHBS, whom I'm sure is sick of me asking questions! If absolutely nothing else, I hope I get something tasty enough to get me through christmas.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Shame you can't make it tomorrow. A lot can be said for RDOs and sick days....

Anyway, I'll give you a yell next time I'm brewing (depends on work ATM) and you're more than welcome to pop around!

Oh, and if you do happen to find yourself with a 'terrible' cold tomorrow, PM me and I'll send you the address...or just follow your nose!

Cheers

Have a great day boys....I'm with you in spirit.... :icon_cheers:

PB

Any disasters as yet?

They were having a bit of a stuck sparge when I left, but cutting the grain bed cleared it well enough. I've got some photos I'll put up after I've finished my lunch.

Check out the VERY full mashtun

14112008067.jpg
14112008068.jpg
14112008069.jpg
14112008070.jpg

Sure is full.
Didn't they want to borrow your old stand, Bonj :p ?

I offered, and it does fit a 3 ring burner perfectly, but they were all "BMW or nothing". Snobs!

How did they drain from the Tun to the Kettle when the tun is on the deck?
Pump or lift it?

We lifted it off the deck.

Just got an SMS update. They did a second brew and are coming to the end of the second boil now.

Yep they decided to do a seconded smaller brew, using a fermenter full of second runnings - looked good too. I'll be interested to know hat the OG is for both brews.

Hey guys!

Well that was great fun! Thanks for everyone for taking the time to pop along, even if it was only for a short while! Great to meet some new people, and talk shit with some old ones! :beer:

For the record, total brewday ran to about 8 hours. Troy and I each ended up with 16.5L of Imperial Stout Wort. We hit our mash temps almost perfectly (66.5C), and our sparge sat at around 78C too. We left the grain in the tun while we were boiling, and was funny to see the grainbed temp was still about 75C 2 hours later! Then we ran off another 30L and started the second boil. Pre-boil gravity was a massive 1.021! Guestimated the hops (20g Nothern Brewer @ 60, 20g EKG @ Flameout) and cubed 'er up. Should ferment nice and fast!

Looks like the OG for the stout ended up at 1.091, giving us around 76% efficiency!

I'll let you know on the second batch - popped a small post-boil sample to cool in the freezer and forgot about it.... <_< Will take the reading when it thaws.

I'll post up my photos when I get home from work tonight.

Cheers

Anyway, thanks again guys! Let's do it again sometime! :icon_cheers:

Well done Lads,
Good to see the "young blokes" getting right into the social side of brewing, I would have loved to come, but I was at home doing an American Robust Porter and kegging 3 other beers. We are nearly neigbours now Nick.

cheers

Browndog

Indeed we are mate!

Would definitely love to catch up sometime and taste some of your tasty beers :icon_drool2:

You heading along to BABBs this month? Last one for the year I believe, should be fun!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back