Get ready Tasmania, here we come!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Holidays are approaching & the wife & I along with the 3 kids are making our way to Tasmania for a week's holiday.
We fly out from Brisbane on the 9th June into Hobart & staying at the beach house at Kingston.
My sister owns the Retro fudge bar in Bellerive & I can't wait to drop in & see them.
I'm hoping to catch up with some of you AHBer's while I'm down there if you are not too far from Hobart.
If you want to catch up, send us a PM with some details & we'll go from there. We fly out on the 16th June to come back home.
I'm pretty keen to check out Moo Brew & some other Micro's as well. Tourist tips appreciated.
Cheers

Hey Crusty, Tas is awesome! Spent a couple of weeks there in Nov.
Mostly we drove around, camped and hiked. Cradle mountain and surrounds were beautiful, Port Arthur, Frecinet (wine glass bay) etc are all well worth the visit. Drank a few micros while there such as 7 sheds and plenty of Moo.
While in Hobart, check out some of the distillery's if that interests you. I met a couple of beautiful young women at Lark.. The whisky was pretty good too :D

Basically, get out and see it. Is a very pretty part of the world. Heaps of wildlife and friendly, weird locals :p

A brisbanite in tas in June. Brave brave man!
A day trip to Bruny Island and lunch at the cheese place would be a highlight.
Cheese plate. Pint of local cider. Job done.

Get ready for every 2nd person asking you if it's too cold. Honestly, as long as you have a decent wind proof vest, it'll be fine - it's rarely that cold in the lower parts.

Iron house over the east coast, this half is ashgrove cheese, anvers chocolate, 7 sheds, hellyers distillery (not as good as lark or nant but cheap for a few nips whilst looking out over rolling hills.

Wicked cheese near richmond is great.

Salamanca markets is always worth a tourist look.

Preachers, new sydney and the winston for sit down beer.

make sure you check out MONA http://www.mona.net.au/what's-on/tours/
the best "museum" youll ever go see, and it has its own bar in the museum and youre encouraged to drink, plus they have theyre own brewery, think its acutally moobrew, cant quite remeber, but anyway mona will blow your mind.

There is a cheese factory next hellyers road,Gourlays Sweets @ penny royal in launceston..Petuna's seafood in devonport/launceston and Tassal has shop in hobart

Sorry. Since the election, Tasmania is closed until further notice.
If you get up around the north west coast give me a buzz. Normally 3 beers on tap. As far as cold, it had been unseasonably warm as of late, but if you get a cold snap and a fair wind, it's really cold around the lower parts. The New Sydney has an open fire which is fantastic.

Do Bruny Island if the weather's nice. Just down the road from Kingston - sort of.
Get Shucked oysters, if you enjoy oysters, cheese makers, smoke house, berry farm and like the rest of southern Tas, scallop pies wherever you look.
Have a beer at Hotel Bruny. Beautiful place.

Couple of things, getting the ferry back can be a waiting game.
It's Bruny island - then Antarctica, so keep that in mind before leaving in shorts and thongs.

I was there in Jan - here's a thread with some suggestions. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68956-tassie-trip/page-2

my favourite pub in Hobart was the New Sydney. Awesome beers and the food was excellent (& substantial). Preachers & Jack Greene were also great.

The bottle shop attached to The Abbey in Sandy Bay has a good range of Tassie beers. Get stuck into Two Metre Tall soured ales.

It's worth paying a visit to Devils Kitchen on the way to/from Port Arthur. Great scenery.

MONA is a must, also the MONA winery tour is good fun (and heaps of stainless bling) although you'll need somewhere to deposit the kids for a while.

Dress for Antarctic conditions when you go to the top of Mt Wellington.

When in Hobart, I choose to stay in the Midcity Hotel.
Conveniently located directly across the street.

I could actually envisage a holiday where I simply oscillate between the Sydney and the Midcity.
Eat, drink, sleep, repeat.

manticle said:
Might be time to start wearing pants.
My line was from LRG post. We wear pants here. Its only the Queenslanders that move here that think they can wear shorts and thongs all year round. Its Tasmania, we get 4 season. When its winter, its cold. In Hobart you can expect temps in the single figures.
Cheers
LB

You've got it all wrong Dave, I wear a thong under my shorts in winter.

Check out the Winston as well. Good beer and food. Run by a QLDer too.

Well, getting close now till take off.
Leaving for Brisbane on Sunday, 8/6 & flying out on Monday morning, 9/6 bound for Hobart.
The wife & kids are very excited but to be honest, I'm shittin myself.
I've never been on a plane before & have a phobia for heights & confined spaces so it might be an interesting trip.
I hope the bar is operational just after 9am so I can have a nerve settler.
We're flying Virgin ( how appropriate ) 737-800.
Any first time flyers out there want to give me a long distance hug & tell me I'm hyping myself up for nothing.

LagerBomb said:
My line was from LRG post. We wear pants here. Its only the Queenslanders that move here that think they can wear shorts and thongs all year round. Its Tasmania, we get 4 season. When its winter, its cold. In Hobart you can expect temps in the single figures.
Cheers
LB
Joke about 'lower parts'.

dibby33 said:
You will be fine.
I live about 5k from belerieve. Up for a beer :)
That would be nice, thanks.
We're staying for a week at Kingston, some big beach house on the water.
Will catch up for sure.

Crusty said:
Well, getting close now till take off.
Leaving for Brisbane on Sunday, 8/6 & flying out on Monday morning, 9/6 bound for Hobart.
The wife & kids are very excited but to be honest, I'm shittin myself.
I've never been on a plane before & have a phobia for heights & confined spaces so it might be an interesting trip.
I hope the bar is operational just after 9am so I can have a nerve settler.
We're flying Virgin ( how appropriate ) 737-800.
Any first time flyers out there want to give me a long distance hug & tell me I'm hyping myself up for nothing.
I was a white knuckle flyer for years. Dont bother with the drink. Seconds after leaving the runway, the landing gear will retract with a MMMMM -K-CHUNK! followed by the aircraft sharply rolling and pitching upwards. The adrenaline surge overides everything. Except perhaps the buyers remorse of being fleeced for a $9 Crownie at the bar.

At the end of the day, people are illogical drama queens. We're far more phobic about bullshit that has a comparatively miniscule chance of pulling our plug, air travel, snakes, germs than actual, genuine threats that surround us each day. I have in my time, hated the thought of going to work, but never because I had to drive my car / ride my bike.

That said, a couple of Diazepam washed down with a pint your finest / strongest HB pre-flight should take the edge off somewhat.

Jealous as, its a top place, even though the customs dog took a disturbing interest in my groin last time we were there.

Maby you don't want to rest fruit in your lap when you go..

Have a great trip Crusty.

My wife is a Tasmanian, so we get down there every month or two. Many of these things have already been mentioned, but here's my selection of tourist things to do:
- Port Arthur (about an hour and a half drive east of Hobart)
- Hastings caves (about an hour south)
- peppermint bay restaurant (on the way to the caves, nice scenic spot, reasonable-ish price)
- Mt Wellington, especially if it has been snowing, which is likely
- MONA, and especially attached Moo brew brewery and Moorilla estate winery
- given that you're staying in Kingston, the "Beach" restaurant at Blackman's bay, 5 mins south of Kingston is good
- Snug (joking)
- Salamanca on a Saturday for the market. Pop in to Irish Murphy's for a few pints too...
- Coles bay (to get to wineglass bay), but it's three hours north of Hobart
- driving aimlessly in the car south of Hobart too see where you'll end up

That's all.

Safe flight mate.

My youngest sister is turning 21 on Wednesday 11/6 so we'll be all together for her birthday.
The next oldest lives in Bellerive so looking forward to getting there.
Thanks for the tourist trip tips & flight encouragement, helps to settle the nerves a bit.
Speaking of nerves, the soon to be birthday girl posted this for me on facebook.
Thanks so much Kimmy, love you lots.

No fear.PNG

Latest posts

Back