Brilliant Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikepipsqueak

Reaction score
Some 30 years ago, when AHB was still in Hughesdale, I made ginger beer from one of their recipes.

It used fresh ginger and champagne yeast and produced a result that was not for the kiddies, but wonderful.

For years I have rested quiet in the knowledge that the recipe was safe in my filing cabinet if i ever wanted to make it again.

Alas, I was wrong.

does anyone have a copy of this recipe or something that sounds similar? It would be much appreciated.

There's plenty of GB recipes in the database on here. They'd all be relatively similar surely.

I've made this many times now and everyone loves it. When I keg it i crash chill when the fg is below 1010 so it retains a little sweetness but it's also nice when it's dry.
I've bottled some this time should be ready in a week. The bottled stuff is gunna pack a punch I reckon lol.
1.5kg ginger
2kg brown or dark brown sugar
1kg organic honey
4cinnamon sticks
2cloves
3small chillies
Zest of 5 limes and 5 lemons
Juice from 2 limes and 2 lemons

So you bottled it at 1.010? Presumably you'll refrigerate it until you're ready to drink it?
After I kegged most of it I Ieft the remaing few litres to warm up for a few days and ferment out before I bottled.
I'd like to keep this on tap all summer, the only thing stopping me is the price for sll the ingredients. I've planted some ginger for next summer :)

Kingy, what do you fermwnt it out with?

Hey Kingy
What volume did this make? Also, how did you process the ginger and chillies? Assume you boil it all up and strain before the ferment?
First GB and this one looks like a beauty

I just blend it all, then into a hopsock and boil for 1 hour. Chill and ferment. If you are bottling id rack to secondary to let more solids drop out to keep ya bottles cleaner as there's a fair bit of sediment. Or if ya keg let it settle in the keg for a few days and pour the first schooner or so out. Unless you like ya ginger super cloudy. Lol.

Will probably keg before it's finished first time for some residual sweetness.
Is this what you use for a 19l batch?

thinking about doing this recipe that kingy uses, just been going through the Ginger beer from scratch thread and there is plenty of good input and conversation on this topic.

On another note I picked up so jamieson's ginger beer pre mixed earlier and in the ingredients part it noted that there was rosemary extract in there too.

The only thing I'm thinking is maybe loosing the chillies as chillies don't quite agree with me any more, shame really as I do like them

I think I get 21 litres. either way start with 25 pre boil and boil softly.
I've tried adding lactose and also buderim ginger cordial (non fermentable) to retain sweetness but didn't work to well. I've stopped fermentation at 1014 snd 1008 @ 20degrees by cold chilling. I've also let it ferment right out. Next time I'd like to chill when at 1004-6. I like mine on the drier side as it's a great session beer then.

Edit: speeling.

Did see somewhere on here somebody has a recipe for a vodka/buderim ginger cordial/water mix made up in a keg to 5% and carbonated.

I don't keg (Yet!!) :ph34r: so not an option for me, but for someone who has that kegging stuff on hand might be the quick fix for a nice summer sesh drink while you work out a recipe which suits...

Worth a shot..

Kingy said:
I think I get 21 litres. either way start with 25 pre boil and boil softly. I've tried adding lactose and also buderim ginger cordial (non fermentable) to retain sweetness but didn't work to well. I've stopped fermentation at 1014 snd 1008 @ 20degrees by cold chilling. I've also let it ferment right out. Next time I'd like to chill when at 1004-6. I like mine on the drier side as it's a great session beer then. Edit: speeling.
It's for the Mrs so will be aiming for a bit of sweetness. I've got a couple of empty 10L kegs here so might keg half sweet and do a drier version too.

Made up a similar recipe except 1 kg of ginger and a bit less sugar. Also added around 8 cardomon pods and 4 nutmeg nuts. I did not add citrus (usually do this but did not have lemons on hand at the time), although thinking of doing that pre bottling. It has been fermenting for 8 days now between 18 and 22 degrees. Check it daily and it does not appear to miss the citrus. It has a really nice spicy taste and a nice chili after kick. Any ideas why most recipes include citrus? Is it for taste or a more 'chemical' reason?

Many thanks for the replies and all the info.

If I find the specific recipe in the AHB archives I will repost it here for interest's sake.

Cheers

spikepipsqueak said:
2 KG light DME
1KG Dextrose
2 large ginger roots, finely grated
juice of 3 medium sized lemons
2 Tbs red Tabasco sauce

fill to 21 L with water and pitch 1 packet dry champagne yeast

Added 500g Lactose at time of Kegging

Carbonated to 220 Kpa
This simple recipe more or less matches my memory, but I have a few questions.

What is DME? Does it account for the ginger beer being 0% alcohol?

I propose experimenting with this, even simpler, version but wonder if anyone can spot any ignoramus mistakes?.

3 kilos glucose
2 large ginger roots, finely grated
juice of 3 medium sized lemons
4 cardamoms
1 packet dry champagne yeast

fill to 21 L with water

Priming with glucose at bottling

Latest posts

Back