Brewmate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this one but;
Does anyone have a method of downloading Brewmate to a linux system,
ubuntu 10.04
Otherwise is there something similar in PDF or other form?
Thanks,
wombil.

ubuntu 10.04
Thanks,
wombil.

Er...downloading to a linux system?

Do you mean installing/running on a linux system? AFAIK Brewmate is a Windows only software, which means you'll either need to setup and run Brewmate through WINE, or run something like VMWare and install a Windows-based O/S, or setup a dual-boot system. To be honest, all 3 of these are fairly complex....

ubuntu 10.04
Thanks,
wombil.
Sorry can't help, however just an illustration of the point that we really need a software sub forum.

ubuntu 10.04
Thanks,
wombil.
It should run fine under Wine on Ubuntu 10.04. I run BeerSmith 1.4 on the same OS, although it needs a little bit of tweaking to get everything smooth.

Saying that, I've never tried Brewmate, and don't know what additional pre-requisites it has. Give it a try, and make sure to update this thread with your findings. Knowledge shared is knowledge doubled ;)

Edit: You were looking for process, not advice.
1) Ensure you've got Wine installed, using Ubuntu Software Centre
2) Download the Brewmate installer.
3) Double-click the Setup.exe, which will fire up Wine, and install it into your "virtual" Windows installation
4) Run Brewmate from under Wine->Programs->Brewmate

Thanks Guye,
I have tried most/all of those venues with out much success.Have had brewmate and Q mate downloaded but cannot open them ok.Only success I have had ie with Brewtarget
which seems to do the job but not as good as brewmate wich I have on windows.PITA changing systems all the time as I use linux mostly.I know most stuff is written for Microsoft but it would be nice to have one written for dual/multiple systems.

I totally agree with warmbeer that a software sub forum would be an asset to the community.
Thanks for the replies,
wombil.
Please excuse typos,not really pissed.

wombil, while Linux is way better than windows in many ways, there are compatability issues.
Why not get a cheap copy of XP -or even spend $50 on a P3 computer with it already installed - to run those programs that Linux can't / won't / is difficult with?
Or you could dual boot your main comp. But a brewery PC with windows just for Brewmate might be worth considering. You could play backgammon or solitaire while you wait for shit to boil...
It would be a combrewter!

FWIW, there were Mono issues last time I tried under Ubuntu 11.04, that's something I wanted to take up with the developer directly but just haven't had the time to get back to it. In the interim, StrangeBrew2 (found on SourceForge) is adequate, if a little clunky.

Brewmate was written in NET from what I've heard, so based around a Windows system. I also hear they're working on multi-platform versions as well, so you might get lucky. PM RandyRob if you want to know more.

Hey Spork,nice to see that you care.I have been dual booting linux/windows and more for quite a while,thanks for the tip.
I leave backgammon and solitare to the brain dead shit boilers near the fridge.
Happy days to you too.

Thanks Warm Beer,Have already done items 1/4.Brewmate shows up at;
wine>programs>Brewmate
uninstall Brewmate

It is there ok but when I click to open nothing happens.
I know .net framework is needed in XP but don't think it will work on linux.
Will give it a go.
It should run fine under Wine on Ubuntu 10.04. I run BeerSmith 1.4 on the same OS, although it needs a little bit of tweaking to get everything smooth.

Saying that, I've never tried Brewmate, and don't know what additional pre-requisites it has. Give it a try, and make sure to update this thread with your findings. Knowledge shared is knowledge doubled ;)

Edit: You were looking for process, not advice.
1) Ensure you've got Wine installed, using Ubuntu Software Centre
2) Download the Brewmate installer.
3) Double-click the Setup.exe, which will fire up Wine, and install it into your "virtual" Windows installation
4) Run Brewmate from under Wine->Programs->Brewmate

Thanks Warm Beer,Have already done items 1/4.Brewmate shows up at;
wine>programs>Brewmate
uninstall Brewmate

It is there ok but when I click to open nothing happens.
I know .net framework is needed in XP but don't think it will work on linux.
Will give it a go.

Same with me.

Running wine in ubuntu on one computer, and in a self-customised version of Linux with a combination of gnome and enlightenment to act as DM and WM.

Neither works. It just says it's loading and hangs. I know that the program was written for Windows and I shouldn't expect support for wine/linux, but just putting it out there, in case someone has found a solution. Brewtarget (in linux) is crap. qbrew is okay but underdone.

Goomba

anyone had trouble downloading on a normal computer lol

No trouble at all downloading to windows XP.Can't see any problems with other M$ systems.
wombil.

.NET Framework 3.5 is my problem i try download new one it didnt work tryed heaps of stuff cant get the program to run on xp i think

Hey Cam,
Had the same trouble.When Brewmate tells you to download .net framework,disregard this and start again.
Download .net framework manually from google or microsoft and install it.
Then download Brewmate and it should load ok.
Hope this works for you.

anyone had trouble downloading on a normal computer lol

Just after a recent update I have had major problems with it crashing my laptop when I open a saved recipe.
I ended up installing it on another computer and copying the recipes over. After removing it, my laptop seems to be runnig a lot better.
Difference here is the OS I spose. The laptop is running vista but the other computer runs windows 7 (lite).

Bloody vista :angry:

wombil
thanks thanks and thank you tryed your advice and I now got it up and running

thanks to everyone who helped I am happy as now to fiddle it look easy as aye

Back