Brewing with truffles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatC

Reaction score
Hi guys was wondering if anyone has had any experience using truffles in a stout??? Was wondering how much to use and when to add bring etc. WS thinking of making an oatmeal stout and ageing in cognac barrel but unsure of the truffles. Any help appreciated

Wow. Never heard of this or even thought of it, but I'll be watching this thread with anticipation.

Just watched and episode of brew dogs were they added $1000.00 worth of truffle. It was just one big one. They were in the process of making the most expensive beer. They purchased over $2200 of ingredient. They auction off a bottle for over $2600 making it the dearest beer ever sold, they say.
But I have no experience in adding truffles to a brew sorry.

The trouble with truffles is the flavour and aroma is so strong they tend to dominate every other ingredient. I'd probably add one slice to a normal 20-30 litre batch and see how that goes.

Moon Dog - Jumping The Shark has truffles in it, although it's hard to tell if you can even taste it. But... It is a cognac barrel aged 16% imperial stout.

The Wig and pen (in Canberra) puts a truffle stout on each year - I thing they infuse the truffle through the Randal. Maybe find them on Facebook and ask them?

The jumping the shark is what I want to try and make

Randal or similar is the way to go. Truffles are all about the smell & it's pretty easy to lose that (especially with too much heat). Bentspoke here in Canberra has been putting a dark beer through blood orange & truffle and it works well. As a fall-back, truffle in a glass demi secondary and rack onto it when primary fermentation is pretty much done might be worth a try.

I was thinking about this too.

I figured on doing a few test batches with mushrooms (like dried shitake(sp?)) to see if I can get anywhere with it, before committing to truffle-level ingredients.

But I think of new beers to brew all the time, and this is way down on the list.

Been pretty lucky here in tassie as a friends business is Tamar valley truffles so I got at very good price. I too thought of in secondary but was worried about botulism etc as the joys of fungus. Been told that should kill any nasties off at about 60 degrees so wasn't sure to check them in the boil or what... I know it's an expensive ingredient but thought be good using all tassie ingredients

Have you emailed Moondog?
They had an original Jumping the Shark that was about 10.5% brewed for the Rockwell & Sons GBW event.
The truffle aroma was much, much more pronounced than the recent 15% bottled version.
I think the percentage of truffles was a lot higher in the first JTS.
Going by Twitter; 800g in 50L
https://twitter.com/moondogbrewing/status/327978017534140416/photo/1

Latest posts

Back