Farmed kveik

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, has Anyone got their hands on farmed kveik, as opposed to the single strain varieties sold in the lhbs?
I've purchased from kveik australia, midtbust which makes for a wicked oatmeal stout, and rivenes which i find tends to attenuate less dryer than traditional voss with defined citrus great for blonde ales. Ive also just recently purchased wollsaeter which apparently comes quiet close to a saison, has anyone used this yeast, and just how close to saison does this kveik come cheers!

Follow up question how many generations of kveik yeast can you safetly repitch? Ive heard it said they can be repitched continously because there multistrained provided the vial doesnt get infected of course but curious to know what everyone thinks and if anyone has tried it. Cheers again!

Hey guys, has Anyone got their hands on farmed kveik, as opposed to the single strain varieties sold in the lhbs?

Not exactly sure what your asking. Most kveik is multiple strain.

I use a lot of Voss (3 strains) because it is readily available in dried form. Opshaug (4 strains) has given me some really good ales.

Have you seen this ?
Lots of useful info on many forms of traditional farmhouse yeasts from Europe.

Yes, ive seen the farmhouse registry, from what i understood the yeast labs, with a few exceptions are mostly isolating a single strain of traditional kveik. See the spec sheets for lallemend voss, or yeastbay kveiks as a example. What that means is you might be getting a single strain of the kveik in question rather than the entire strain in its traditional form. From a few discusions ive had on other forums, i think kveik australia is the real deal farmed yeast from norway and not just another isolate strain. With that as context my questions are 1 has anyone used wollsaeter kveik before(35) it apparently tastes like saison and i was wondering how close it gets.
And 2 how many times has everyone reharvested there kveik yeast? Im up to 6 generations, with my midtbust with no off flavours. The farmhouse registry seems to imply you can keep repitching them forever, i was curious if anyone has tried that.
Cheers!

Hi maves i dont think the harvesting process for ales and lagers is that different but lager yeasts generally require a larger cell count meaning a larger yeast starter. I recomend a stir plate as well to minimise lag time, and a 3 litre science beaker sold at most brew stores. I make more yeast than i need, pitch half, then pour the rest into a vial for the next batch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back