Brewing With Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I agree on the S04.

Recently did a similar bitter with MO (my 2nd AG)a bit of brown and crystal, EKG, Fugg and S04.

It's good, but there is just something amiss in the malt flavour. Compared to what I tasted going into the fermenter, it's a little disappointing.

But drinkable!

cheers

Kev

Good Day
It is hard to tell without tasting the beers. However, tea bag taste plus low gravity bitters could indicate over sparging and tannins extracted. MO is my base ale malt and I find it rich and wonderful especially in English bitters.

This was my 1st thaught as well. If its mouth puckering like a teabag id say you might have some excess tannin extraction. I'd doubt over sparging, moreso an issue with mashout/sparge temps exceeding the 77deg threshold.

I get what ross is saying about fuggles but i doubt that woudl be the root of the problem. Especially if the OP threw out the 1st batch as it was undrinkable.

Just wanted to say thanks for the ideas. I let it set for many reasons and I think it is the hops that I do not like. It is a little better but still has the off flavor, sorry that is about the best I can describe it as. It could be that I am not a fan of the flavor of a 100% Maris Otter brew but I think the hops have a lot to do with it. I think I will replace the hops in some of my other beers to see if the flavor improves any.

Id be interested to hear what brand of MO people as using. Ive previously used Bairds with great results but this year I have used two bags of TF MO. I would have to say that Im less than impressed with this malt and believe I had better success with the Bairds. It seems to need higher mash temps to bring out the goodies and then its easily overpowered with other specialty malt flavours. I wont be buying it again.

.. I think SO4 might be one of those yeasts that is either offensive to a considerable number of palates or maybe has to brewed within some cryptic parameters to get it right for these palates.

PP, I think this is right. Some people seem to have the knack with this yeast. Ive tasted some very nice S04 beers where you wouldnt pick it as the yeast used. Others you know immediately from the yeasty aroma that its S04. I will not use it again, I dont have the knack.

cheers
Andrew.

I still don't really understand what it is people hate about SO4. I've used it in extract bitters and stouts and more recently my first AG which was a stout and although it doesn't provide much character it's never ruined my beer... Admittedly, all the beers I've used it in were either hoppy or had lots of roast character (ie stouts) and this may have hidden the taste of the yeast.

I've used Marris Otter twice now (out of 4 AG batches) the latest is still in the fermenter and hasn't been tasted yet but the APA I used it in was very nice. I wouldn't blame the malt. Like others have said - fuggles can taste like tea if you overdo it. I quite like them mixed with EKG though...

i am not sure about Marris Otter but i have used S04 several times. Once in a stout that turned out OK but not great, and twice with my first 2 AG English Bittters. Both these beers turned out with a dry dusty musky type taste that i really dont like. I threw the second AG batch out and can just drink the first. They both had the same taste and were produced with the same recipe and process. I am convinced it was the S04 but my science is not journal worthy. I have since done 2 more AG's using S05 and have not had this taste (different recipes compeltely though).

So again it was OK in my stout but foul in the lighter English Bitters.

Back