Brewing While Travelling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys sorry I haven't been on air but the internet was a bit hard to acquire from the beach at Ningaloo.
Now in Karratha for a couple of months to fill up the tanks (fuel and money).
Where are you when I need you Batz?? Any contacts for a good job and hb supplies here in town?
Will post a couple of pics but not too may as you'll all be jealous.
Ross and Jackie thank you very much for putting us up and putting up with us, your hospitality was above and beyond and much appreciated a pity you couldn't come and visit while we were at N.
Regards to all nm

Last_niight_003.jpg

IMG_1267.JPG

Geez Metters you have put some miles under the bus, doesn't seem that long since I saw you at Ross'. When I was last at Karratha in 2004 the pub had happy hour from 5.30 and pots of Emu Piss cost $3.50 so I asked when was happy hour, they told me it was happy hour. When I left Godsland er Queensland earlier in the year pots cost $2.10 at my surf club. Can't remember seeing any shop selling anything like home brew gear. Might have to get it sent from Grumpys or Grain and Grape.

HI Guys,
Well let this be a lesson to ya, after sampling Batz's brews and camping next to Ross' bar for two months any brew is going to taste ordinary at best!!
So why am I caning myself for the last four brews done on the road????
Well the first 2 were Ross' hot wort kits one of which decided to have a go at brewing by itself in the bladder on the way over! It turned out drinkable if a little funky but on the beach with the nearest pub 3 hours away who's complaining. The amber ale was superb even though brewed at 25c on the beach, it was all gone before we left.
I put down a Coopers bitter with DME and 25g NB hops in Ningaloo well water (qualities unknown) and that was OK, a little creatures clone turned out very ordinary and then a draft with cascade hops in Karratha was a disaster ( brewed or should I say boiled @ 28c, temp control in overload and sucking batteries on the bus dry).
I was totally disgusted with myself and my 'On Road' brewing until I got back to Bindoon and had a few of the old drinking buddies around and the comments were very favourable "nearly" as good as before I left so ROSS YOU HAVE A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO SETTING THE BAR SO HIGH.
But seriously Ross' beers were superb and it is hard to make a good one with unknown water quality and varying temp control (in Karratha I bottled and left them to the elements 27 - 43c thought they were shite but the mates here are raving about them).
While here in the cooler climes of Bindoon (High/Mid 30's) for a couple of months I'll be brewing hopefully in controlled conditions and we'll see what comes of it.
A merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Cheers Metters

Latest posts

Back