• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Contract brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiebrau

Reaction score
We are looking for expressions of interest for anyone who is interested in contract brewing in our proposed new brewery. Whether you require a beer range for your hospitality venues or you are an existing brewery operation in need of expansion, we will be able to offer upwards of 50,000L of kegged beer per annum.

All beers will be brewed under the direction of an internationally qualified Master Brewer who is a graduate from Siebel institute of Technology in Chicago, Doemens Academy Munich, Bavaria and the World Brewing Academy.

Each batch of beer will come with full biological analysis and technical data of raw materials to assure quality control. We can work with you to formulate new recipes or we can replicate your existing product. The project is underway in Margaret River, Western Australia. For enquiries and additional information please contact [email protected]

Aussiebrau said:
proposed new brewery.
Cool stuff. When's the brewery intended to move on from proposal-on-paper to project-in-construction?

klangers said:
Cool stuff. When's the brewery intended to move on from proposal-on-paper to project-in-construction?
The Colonial in Margaret River has been going for a while, I guess they are just opening up a new building?

The one in Port Melbourne is good stuff... using the old Matilda Bay place.

Interesting, I wonder what cost the freight across from WA would be though for us East coasters..? Probably price per pallet, how many kegs can you get on a pallet?

Contract brewing is a good way for startups to get a market presence initially without bankrupting themselves setting up all their own plant.
Also good for one-offs like that Bob Hawke Lager that's brewed at the Port Melbourne brewery referred to above.

good4whatAlesU said:
Interesting, I wonder what cost the freight across from WA would be though for us East coasters..? Probably price per pallet, how many kegs can you get on a pallet?
Nine x 50Lt on a standard pallet

Pnutapper said:
Nine x 50Lt on a standard pallet
Thanks, so 450L a pallet. I guess if a 900L batch was feasible then two pallets worth of freight to get it delivered.

Depending on your logistics company, you can stack 2 pallets high for no extra cost, it's floor area, not weight necessarily

Quite right, varies a bit depending on the company. A quick google reveals some use weight and /or volume. If a backload can be obtained might get a deal.

I used MacGregor's (sp?) logistics for the Lark Barrels I brought over, who had a footprint type policy which was great.

For East coasters, have a look about in your city, it's likely you'll find some tank space somewhere... So many things to consider, packaging, distribution, QC, what the contract states about if it gets infected etc... Are they going to re brew or do you wear the cost?

Who supplies ingredients and yeast?

Questions for days... Having the brewery close by helps being able to SEE someone when sorting this all out.

Some I've looked at insist you are present during the brewing, this negates arguments afterwards. Most insist on pasteurisation for insurance reasons.

At 2-300 bucks a keg, freight if say $400 a pallet ($45 a keg) takes a big slice of any potential margin...

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks, so 450L a pallet. I guess if a 900L batch was feasible then two pallets worth of freight to get it delivered.
So does that mean the purchase of 18 empty kegs in WA and then back filling the semi if you want more? Is this set up defined as "homebrew"? or is it a purchase therefore taxes etc? (with UBrew It your have to add the yeast as I understand it)

There's a couple companies out there (nationwide) that rent kegs, so not too difficult but definitely has to be costed in. The brewery may already have a supplier and possibly could cost into their quote.

eg.

https://www.kegstar.com/au

Kegstar are great.
You don't need to pay for return transport.
I have customers that send their branded kegs local and only send kegstar interstate.

tugger said:
Kegstar are great.
You don't need to pay for return transport.
I have customers that send their branded kegs local and only send kegstar interstate.
Yeah but you do pay for them sitting about empty..

I don't.
The kegs arrive to me on the customers account. I fill them and ship them.
The customer books them back to kegstar when collected.
The phone app allows scanning into and out of accounts.
The customer pays rental while the kegs are waiting to be filled and while filled.

Latest posts

Back