Brewing Water Chemistry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished installing a tank for the garage, hope it rains like billy-o. I guess now that if I start using rain water for my brewing that I will/maybe have to adjust the chemistry of the water. Any thoughts from those out there that have gone before me? :blink: I do use pH 5.2 in the mash already.

Any of the larger brewing software packages include a water ion calculator.

Rain water is very close to distilled water in ion content, but will have traces of dust, exhaust fumes, bird pooh, possum pooh etc.

I use Promash and it includes the water ion profile for famous brewing areas. All you have to do is use the calculator to adjust salt levels to come close to the profile you want. You will need a range of different salts and a set of scales capable of weighing 0.1gms.

Enjoy your beautiful tasting water and become a water snob. No more water from your local supplier loaded with chlorines.

I use tank water for my brewing. It's very soft as PoL has suggested. You should be OK using your 5.2 product although you probably don't need it for all your styles. Try mashing in without it and checking your pH - only add the product if you are outside the range.

razz,

I swear by rainwater as it is the best thing you will get to distilled for mineral content.
(the big boys use mains water with Reverse Osmosis treatment) which makes it the same as distilled.
Believe me their aint no pristine virginal stream running past them. <_<

When it comes to water, if you start from a clean low mineral water source you can always add calcium ect for better mash conversion and beer taste tweeks.

I would use water tweeks as the final piece of the puzzle for nailing a recipe. If you go too far with water chemistry it can bite back.

Go the rainwater! Bugger the bird poo, it gets boiled anyway if your mashing.
Just stay away for chlorinated mains water which is a yeast killer. (esp if kit and kilo brewing)

Mudsta :beerbang:

Back