Brewing Notes - Vb Rubbish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have found some awesome brewing notes on this page. I personally have pages and pages of them. Time, temps, recipe's, tasting, mashing, problems, fixes etc etc etc.

Could we store them some place central? I love to read about other peoples stuff and see what I can learn from it. What can we do?

Also - time to stop slagging VB. Its rubbish - we know this. It's over priced - all commercial beers are. It is a sub standard beer that is raved about by its followers - we know this is crazy but when you are raised on something and it's all around you - it just becomes a part of your drinking culture. I know this becuase I was one. I wouldnt drink anything but CUB. If a pub did not have it I would leave - I mean it. Anything that was remotely out of the ordinary I was immeadiately bag the pub and tell people it was a hole. Then comes the 6 month round the world trip. I got home and ordered a long awaited carlton draught - I was shocked as to how bad it was. I blamed the lines - blamed the pub. I was soon to realise that it was the beer not the lines or the pub. I was lucky to be converted - pure luck. You wont convert the usual Aussie drinker - they will laugh and call you a poof if you try. I say - their loss. We love craft beer - we know its better. Lets just drink great beers and be merry...

What do you think?

I agree with you 100% Bear09, it sometimes gets a little tiring reading all of the VB (and other commercial beer) slagging, a lot of people have a favourite commercial drop and even though it doesn't measure up to our own brew it still has it's place.
I fail to see why it is necessary to Dis the commercial products so much considering that is what just about every one of us started drinking in the first place.

More food for thought.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm not really sure what you are looking for bear09. :unsure: The recipe section has a lot of recipes, and there are a heap of recipes scattered through the forum. The search function (or google with site:aussiehomebrewer.com added to your query words) can turn up info on many (most) brewing issues. If you can't find anything, you can always start a new topic. What exactly did you mean? :huh:

I'm not really sure what you are looking for bear09. :unsure: The recipe section has a lot of recipes, and there are a heap of recipes scattered through the forum. The search function (or google with site:aussiehomebrewer.com added to your query words) can turn up info on many (most) brewing issues. If you can't find anything, you can always start a new topic. What exactly did you mean? :huh:

Thanks for the speedy reply - both replies were great. (see above)

Mate - I just found a page on here that had a bunch of brewing notes from another brewer. I just liked the way it was all of his notes put together in on place and not 'scattered'. Just laziness I guess mate. Thanks for the tips! :)

I actualy rather enjoy reading the megaswill slagging, long may it last.
Bloody Extra Dry......

I used to love VB, but now they're dropping it to 4.8% it just doesnt seem so special :unsure:

Come on , you just knew that the thread would be an excuse for people to start slagging off on VB again :)

Awwhh, C'monnnnh!
Victoria Bitter is a great beer.

Why do we continue to waste bandwidth with useless crap like this? Same old, same old with the bagging of commercial beers.

Shame we have lost the likes of Chiller to AHB where so many people could have learnt from him.

I agree with Duff, it is a matter of horses for courses. We have commercial products that admirably suit the purpose for a social environment in the pub after work, with friends at a club, or restaurant when wine isn't what we want.

We know factory beers ain't great, nor is factory food.

We keep the good stuff, albeit beer, food or wine, for friends and fellow travellers, that we invite into our homes and our lives to share hand crafted high quality products made with great care and dare I say it, love of the product.

Note on this site threads about sausages, cheeses and more. I think it is wonderful to see artisanal passion about things

Enjoy everything in its place, and don't bag others for soing so, Cheerz Wabster

Problem is, IMO, that the quality of AHB has been in decline for a little while now.

First thing Mods and Admin can do is fix the search engine.

I log onto AHB first thing each morning and all I get (9 times out of 10) is 2 pages of useless crap.

Problem is, IMO, that the quality of AHB has been in decline for a little while now.

Someone always says this when I join somewhere. :(

I like the way the threads are currently structured but would it make sense to categorise them to enable different views? For example, if all discussions about the Coopers Pale Ale Kit were tagged as such, and people could then navigate to:

Categories -> Ingredients -> Kits -> Coopers -> Pale Ale

All discussions relating to this kit would then be listed (akin to a search) probably in date order

or Safale K-97

Categories -> Ingredients -> Yeasts -> Safale K-97

I'm no techy, its probably a lot of work. But this would save repeated questions and threads which start with 'I tried searching...'

I agree that maybe the site needs to be a bit more compartmentalised with clear directions of where stuff goes.

There seems to be a pretty clear delineation between the AG and K&K people. There are a few users who sit across both of them pretty comfortably but understandably some of the AG people get a bit sick of reading newby K&K questions and the K&K people get a bit sick of having pages of AG stuff turn up in their searches. In reality, I think that there's not necessarily that much common ground between the two other than yeasts, hops.

Perhaps the site could be a bit more split down these lines and users could register for which forums they want to appear in their Latest Threads searches.

BTW, I wouldn't buy VB in any of it's variants if it was the last beer on earth but if people want to drink it then that's fine by me. Leaves more of the good stuff for me to drink!

Ham2k,

It's not your fault, the search engine sucks. I'm no IT guru, but maybe one of the 95% of IT guys here who brew may be able to give us plebs some idea of what's involved in the binary code of IT searches.

Whether I anger people or not with my thoughts (I guess not with my PM's), at the end of the day, it's a beer forum. I have learnt alot from AHB and would not be brewing the beer today without what I have learnt from this site.

BUT, it gets very tedious when all I see are topics in which could be resolved with a decent search engine. Give it to us AHB, the loss of people like Chiller makes the site all the less for it.

I agree that maybe the site needs to be a bit more compartmentalised with clear directions of where stuff goes.

There seems to be a pretty clear delineation between the AG and K&K people. There are a few users who sit across both of them pretty comfortably but understandably some of the AG people get a bit sick of reading newby K&K questions and the K&K people get a bit sick of having pages of AG stuff turn up in their searches. In reality, I think that there's not necessarily that much common ground between the two other than yeasts, hops.

I don't think there should be too much separation. I think K&K people ask questions because they know they will get a hospitable and knowledge response from you guys here. Also exposure to a lot of the AG information (which i wouldn't otherwise have gotten) has certainly made me think about my brewing and aspire to head in that direction at some point.

How many more classifications do you want? A new forum for each brand of canned goop? The problem Duff was raising is the QUALITY of the posts, not which forum they're posted in.

The search engine is a problem, it's been acknowledged and there is hope that the next forum software upgrade will bring about an improvement. It is a limitation that can't be worked around without an inordinate amount of fiddling by the boffins who run the place. In the meantime, try this:

www.google.com.au

Then in the search box, after your search criteria add site:aussiehomebrewer.com

Sure it's a little more typing, but only about half a second if you can type with more than two fingers. The results are amazing. You can add user names if you're searching for a particular post, as many words as you like. You can even use google's advanced search to exclude terms (hint, use "-xxxx" where xxxx is something you don't want in the post you're searching for).

Example: CLICK HERE for 1600 posts on "good beer" that don't include VB.

And while we're at whinging,WTF have dead dogs, cheese and sausages got to do with brewing other than off topics fer chrisakes!!!Roger mellie posts about coffee(a beverage at least) and mods see fit to OT it, whilst frivolous threads of condolences to a dead dog continue in the pub thread. :eek:
This is "aussie home brewer", not aussie home sausage maker or aussie home my dog is called piss off.

Extract,(and or)grains hops and yeast fer F#*k's sake.

And just for the record VB suck arse too. :ph34r:

In the meantime, try this:

www.google.com.au

Then in the search box, after your search criteria add site:aussiehomebrewer.com

Well that's amazing! Only last night I was searching for something. Had a hard time finding what I was after. The google search for the same thing turned up more for much less effort of reading through irrelevant stuff.

This is an excellent tip. Perhaps someone could simply add a new search function on this site which really just uses google...? Or simpy add some text in the "advanced search" webpage to describe this tip as an alternative.

cheers,

Andrei

And while we're at whinging,WTF have dead dogs, cheese and sausages got to do with brewing other than off topics fer chrisakes!!!Roger mellie posts about coffee(a beverage at least) and mods see fit to OT it, whilst frivolous threads of condolences to a dead dog continue in the pub thread. :eek:
This is "aussie home brewer", not aussie home sausage maker or aussie home my dog is called piss off.

Extract,(and or)grains hops and yeast fer F#*k's sake.

And just for the record VB suck arse too. :ph34r:

Easy now. There are a lot of posts in this forum and moderators have a life outside of herding the n00bs into the right forums. I think you'll find the sausage and cheese threads are in the beer food forum.
If you think a thread belongs somewhere else, click the Report button and we'll look into it. You don't have to live your entire AHB life in the "All Latest Posts" box.

Well that's amazing! Only last night I was searching for something. Had a hard time finding what I was after. The google search for the same thing turned up more for much less effort of reading through irrelevant stuff.

This is an excellent tip. Perhaps someone could simply add a new search function on this site which really just uses google...? Or simpy add some text in the "advanced search" webpage to describe this tip as an alternative.

cheers,

Andrei

Glad it helped you. You might find it useful for lots of other sites other than AHB too.

Enough for me tonight. Got a skinful of Case Swap beers and the British Open is on soon.

Latest posts

Back