Brewing indoors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
I have a small room about 2.5m x 2.5m in size. One end of the room there is a built in shelving unit as per the photos. Next to the bench top is a large window and further back is the door.

Judging from the photos, would it be fine to brew where I have the setup now? I assume I would need to line the wooden bench/ with bricks/tiles etc. What about the walls and ventilation? Is this a bad place to brew?

Any input appreciated :)

IMAG2459.jpg

IMAG2455.jpg

Can't you make a stand below the window and put an exhaust fan in, that shelf above the urn will cop a pasting, as will the bench top with the burner on it, you would need some cement sheeting under that.

Using 50L BIAB with that massive burner you can see.

Starting to think brewing outside is a whole lot easier.

Are you renting or buying your place? If the worst came to the worst are you, or your landlord if that's your situation, covered by insurance or might you cop the full cost of rebuilding the room or house?

Or half the street :blink: :blink:

On the other hand if you eventually reno your brewery I'd recommend an electric urn / BIAB. I used to brew indoors in Wales in the winter in a bedsit using a boiler .. sitting on the toilet seat actually with the window open :p
As WEAL says a fan would solve steam problems. Probably a pedestal fan blowing across the room towards the window.

I'd be either heading electric (urn as suggested or over the side element) or heading outside.

Couldn't see the burner on my phone.

Yep, outside or electric mate. Even eletric will be a pain to manage the condensation from the boil without forced ventilation!

Outdoors for sure, using gas in the room - fan - flame goes out or gas leak could be a real problem. Its spring going into summer so outdoors is nice.
Cheers

I think you have your answer already with the above replies.

Your shelves also wouldn't last long if you brewed up there, you soon realise what evaporation is when you brew indoors indoors.

If you move it below the window and stay with gas just make sure you're in the room with it the whole time the burners running. When things go wrong indoors you tend to panic and do silly things on the spur of the moment that can lead too disaster.

About 7 years ago my niece's deep fryer caught on fire and instead of covering it over too smother the flames, she panicked, put on her oven mitts and tried to carry it outside. She kicked the screen door open and stepped halfway through when it then bounced back splashing burning oil all over her. Her right arm was a real mess, she got other burn spots too but luckily her clothing and friends on hand saved worst injury, probably her life. She wore special burn dressings for about four years and I'm pleased too say they did a great job.

Unless you use your indoor household gas stove-top either go electric or go outside is the best advice you can get. That room seems like a great place to store all your brewing gear and supplies though.

Edit: Also remember the GrainFather comes from New Zealand, maybe you could trade in a couple of sheep on one and get a really good deal! :lol:

As above, carbon monoxide will be a serious risk with that burner

Just adding to all the above, as we all know a bag full of wet hot grain can get fairly heavy and messy and I was just wondering how you planned to hoist the bag with that shelf so close overhead - could make for and interesting cleanup day. :chug:

Pfft I just brew on the stove.

AHB member ForeverWort has a similar system I think? Brews in a smallish backyard shed. Throws open the windows. Not sure if he uses a similar burner from memory.... have to check with him.

Latest posts

Back