Brewing In 2 Stages

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just4fun

Reaction score
Would be interested to hear peoples views on brewing over a 2 night period. That is, do the mash and collect the wort one night, then do the boil etc on the following night. (Keeping the wort in the fridge overnight)

Given both the desire to brew during the week and a need to get to bed before midnight, I'm thinking this might be the answer if there are no obvious downsides ?

All advice appreciated.

We cross from the no chill method to the double chill method... :lol:

I feel it's too long preboil to leave wort for the nasties to get into.

Sounds like something Darren would love to discuss with you though.

Brent

Would be interested to hear peoples views on brewing over a 2 night period. That is, do the mash and collect the wort one night, then do the boil etc on the following night. (Keeping the wort in the fridge overnight)

Given both the desire to brew during the week and a need to get to bed before midnight, I'm thinking this might be the answer if there are no obvious downsides ?

All advice appreciated.

I can't see why this wouldn't be a problem just4fun. Since you will be boiling the wort on the second night, infection shouldn't be a problem.

Simple answer... pull a good old, Aussie sicky.

Sounds like the INFAMOUS "NO CHILLER METHOD" thread all over again.

Evening just4fun. I did the same thing several years ago, only because I got called into work while I was brewing. I didn't put the wort in the fridge though, I just put the lid on the boiler and when I got home the next day I finished it off ! :D

Should I?

Short answer. I have done a number of overnight mashes. Anything over about 10 hours begins to smell like wet socks. Those that cannot smell it have poor sense of smell.

12-14 hours becomes putrid.

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Resulting beer is not as clean and crisp as a 60-90 minute mash

You will be quite inefficient with your energy use - heating the water to mash, cooling it, then boiling it again. It will cost you extra $$ in gas or electricity.

It sound dubious but let us know how u went

I posted some info on this before (cant find it)

I have a fellow brewer mate, who has done this method regular for years ! Not in the fridge,just covered.
He is a shift worker and a dad, and finds it perfect for him. He makes bloody great beer !

I tried it at least a couple of times, and had no problems.
My only reservation is the waste of energy (gas )

Cheers

darren, I think you missed something in the original post. just4fun will mash and sparge to boiler one day and then boil the next. I quite agree with you on the wet socks though.

Evening just4fun. I did the same thing several years ago, only because I got called into work while I was brewing. I didn't put the wort in the fridge though, I just put the lid on the boiler and when I got home the next day I finished it off ! :D
Razz

Had similar thing happen to me - I'll just say 16 yo daughter!!!

Left the lid on until late the next day and continued on.

No problems.

Steve

Funny you post this question as it was only a couple of days ago I was thinking of the days I would mash 1 day and boil the next.
I have done it I got no nastie flavours but like yourself I only did it because of time limits.
I wouldnt recomend it but if it is the last resort then give it a go.

I thank everyone who has posted a reply. I think I'll give it a go at least once to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else.

Cheers All.

Would there be a possibility that an infection may start, and you would possibly lose some of your fermentables to a rogue yeast/microbe?

Would this be spossible/significant?

Fester.

Yes, there's always a possibility of an infection during any time of the brewing process...

How significant is it? Depends on how anal you are about your process. If everything is left covered, without agitation and with as little headspace as possible (to prevent the tiny, tiny chance of still air dissolving in still liquid), and everything is sanitised and clean, I would say there wouldn't be any higher chance of any problems than any other method out there.

But that's just my opinion. (I still reckon you should pull a sicky and do it in 1 day.)

-Adam

I was thinking of doing this myself.

One thing I was planning on doing was putting the flame on the sparged wort to sanitise it & the boiler, seal it, come back the next night and finish it off.

I know of some brewers who have lids with a rubber seal, that during the cooling process sucks onto the boiler to form a perfect seal to protect the precious wort.

I think if you sanitise the wort and the boiler this should prevent any souring & you should be fine.

Yeah it might waste some gas, but this is not an issue for me as my burner is pretty efficient (about 1kg gas per brew).

Back