Brewing Equipment Uni Assignment - Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about mathos stovetop braumiester? Would impress any beer loving lecturer

How about you design a glass with an inbuilt glycol chiller encased into the bottom of it, and a thermostat dial on the side. You can choose whether to keep your beer at either icy, cold, cool, cellar or warm depending on your style even if you're sitting in the sun on a 30C day. Coasters could be plugged into power points so that it recharges each time you put your glass down. Obviously to keep it compact so that you dont end up with a jug sized glass that barely holds a middy you are going to need to use nanotechnology and the like.... but thats for you boffins to go away and figure out.

I have been asked to design a hand held, manually powered product for the kitchen. As a homebrewer i'm taking this opportunity to design something for brewing. so i'm looking for input.
Sorry, at least half of the thread. You're entirely irrelevant.

What about a Hydrometer which doubles as a Thermometer which is plastic with a steel base as the weight and doubles as the ink storage (it would have a fairly good heat transfer co-efficient and would get accurate readings quickly)

As a random one, why not create some kind of yeast culture creater, which has in built sugar/water storage so you just add yeast, wind it up (manual power, think egg timer) then after a certain amount of time it drops in a bit more water and a bit more sugar so you can create your yeast despite being on holiday or like me, a forgetful *******. If it was digital you could maybe add a thermometer feature on so it ceases to add ingredients if the temperature gets to a point were the yeast would perish, but this would be a much of a muchness.

A long handled perfirated spoon and matching mesh strainer, seperate but interlocking to make a hop ball with a handle.
Just an idea for the exercise.
Daz

A long handled perfirated spoon and matching mesh strainer, seperate but interlocking to make a hop ball with a handle.
Just an idea for the exercise.
Daz

There are some really good ideas coming out of this. Not all fit the brief, but those ones can be side projects.
yeah i've been thinking about the mash paddle for a while, I wanted to make it out of a food grade plastic/silicone so that it wouldnt scratch the inside of an esky/BIAB bag. I also wanted to include a thermometer with a display on the handle, so that as you are adding grain and breaking up dough balls you can track the temp. Adding a "hop sock" like element would be handy, as long as i can make it look half decent.

Manually Powered - Well, how about a mashpaddle in the style of an old egg beater... marry that, a dough mixer and a mash paddle together somehow.
Better make it strong & heavy duty so it doesn't bend or warp easy.

Feel free to send me the first one as thanks for this super-brilliant idea.
I can also draw a duck if you need a logo.

Manually Powered - Well, how about a mashpaddle in the style of an old egg beater... marry that, a dough mixer and a mash paddle together somehow.
Better make it strong & heavy duty so it doesn't bend or warp easy.

Feel free to send me the first one as thanks for this super-brilliant idea.
I can also draw a duck if you need a logo.

Yeah i thought of the egg beater mash paddle, but i'm ussually pouring in grain with one hand and stiring with the other, which means theres i cant have two hands on the egg beater. I'm also trying to avaiod anything that will get caught up in a BIAB... Obviously i'll have to do a fair amount of brewing to trial all these ideas - its for science

Ever seen one of those chip maker things where you put the potato in then push the handle down and it pushes the potatoe through the grid to make chips. How about if you had a 300mm x 300mm grid that sat above a chopping board of the same size and was hinged similar to a toasted sandwich press. Then you could upstand heaps of peeled potatoes and push down on the grid and have heaps of chips ready to go.
Not brewing related but I wish I had one in the kitchen.

Cheers

I don't think you could apply enough leverage to do a whole batch of chips, so it would have to have a turnscrew type frame on top with a wheel, then it could double as a cider press or BIAB bag pressinator B)

Does it seriously take too long to use the hand press? how many chips are you guys eating?

Brad's regular brekkie

huge_pile_of_fries.jpg

Kitchen aid machines have a chip attatchment. Havent used one though cant say if theyre good.

Cutting chips isnt hard, its the damn peeling potatoes job that sucks.

Kitchen aid machines have a chip attatchment. Havent used one though cant say if theyre good.
Swmbo has one and it does a pretty good job, though it seems a bit dumb to me because the effort of pushing the potato into the machine isn't really any less than pressing down a manual chip cutter. In fact its probably more effort because she has to cut the potatos up a bit to make them fit.

What about a solar powered heater. Then use it as a HLT. Or get a giant lense and shine it on your brew pot. Use it to save gas/power :)

I've just bought a foot pump for pumping up my bike / sack trolley tyres etc and was considering using it to aerate with an airstone, but would probably need some sort of NRV and of course an air filter.

inline refractometer

FOR THE WIN!

that's a kick ass idea i reckon.
Instant, on the fly, uninterrupted measurements going into the kettle, or draining from the kettle post boil.
Or, imagine if you could just stop sparging when a little device that was continously reading gravity told you to.
Isn't it supposed to be something like 1.010 is where the runnings' specific gravity is supposed to have been stopped by (or earlier)???

Not just easier, but the end result would have to be fairly "blingy" too, which is never a bad thing when it comes to brewing.

Very, very bad when it comes to jewellery and the younger generations music and lifestyle culture.....

Back