Brewing Equipment Uni Assignment - Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my chips are done peels and all, chopped by hand, takes fuckall time. The peels are oh so crisp after the treatment :)
Spicing them up and coating in a bit of a sort of marinde takes longer than the chopping does.

How about you design a glass with an inbuilt glycol chiller encased into the bottom of it, and a thermostat dial on the side. You can choose whether to keep your beer at either icy, cold, cool, cellar or warm depending on your style even if you're sitting in the sun on a 30C day. Coasters could be plugged into power points so that it recharges each time you put your glass down. Obviously to keep it compact so that you dont end up with a jug sized glass that barely holds a middy you are going to need to use nanotechnology and the like.... but thats for you boffins to go away and figure out.

given that your design needs to be manually powered.... how about this idea with a hand crank (like the hand crank torches).

You wind the handle to generate "cold" to cool your drink .. or on a larger scale an esky!! .. or a picnic keg.

Maybe the hand crank could power a small compressor??

given that your design needs to be manually powered.... how about this idea with a hand crank (like the hand crank torches).

You wind the handle to generate "cold" to cool your drink .. or on a larger scale an esky!! .. or a picnic keg.

With a peltia chip, probably quite doable!

I was thinking about a huge bottle brush that cleans out a whole fermenter attached to a drill. Since powered is out it leaves you the option of employing the 'strap on' technique. Quiet, powerless and quite the work out.

I can see these as Craft brewers biggest seller. 'The humpy brush'.

i remember seeing something like this at a museum, from memory it was done with copper pipe a bit smaller than beer line. it was a contraption about 300mm long with fist sized wound coils of the tubing each end. you simply cranked a handle in the middle (was pretty tough seeing as though i was in grade 6) and one end got hot and the other got cold. found something similar to my memory here http://exs.exploratorium.edu/exhibits/heat-pump-hand-crank/

or you could make a small 'icyball' that would dunk into your mug of beer...i imagine you would need to heat the hot side ball with a butane torch or a small fire made from tiny timber

Yeah the cooling wand thing is an interesting idea. The only problem is figuring out what to do with the heat generated by the unit. Cooling the esky with a hand crack is a pretty good idea, because you could also drive a fan placed over a heat sink. That would eliminate the problem of keeping things cool if you are going bush camping/army and dont have any electriciy. For brewing, i guess it would be possible to make an electric imersion chiller using that peltia chip.

Cheers for all the input guys :beer: at this stage i'm going to run with the stovetop mash paddle thermometer, as it most clearly fits the brief... unless someone comes up with another brilliant idea soon.

Back