Brewing Education - Anyone Studying?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently enrolled. Way behind on my assignments due to work commitments, about half way through.

correct me if i am wrong but i thought wasabi is a food tech student studying full time at the uni concentrating on brewing, diploma in food tech science.

Probably right and I just assumed :lol:

Not doing the Ballarat course, but due to sit the exam for unit one of the Diploma of Brewing from the IBD on June 2nd - not even close to ready really, but I have week or two to cram yet.

How did you go about enrolling in this course? i tried contacting the Australian contact for the IBD but they haven't got back to me yet.

I did it through work (Fosters) so easy for me - I'm pretty sure you can enroll directly through the IBD as well.

You need to join the IBD and apart from that there isn't a hell of a lot involved. You pay - they send you the curriculum a reading list and a cd with the revision notes. Then in June you sit the exam/s at the center nearest you. 3 units. I am doing one unit per year.

I don't know who you tried to contact - but here's a name just in case.

IBD Asia Pacific Section - Secretary
Mr Roger B Bussel
PO box 179, Wellington, WA 6955

[email protected]

OR

The Training and Exams Manager from the UK

Andrea Williams - [email protected]

Otherwise the website is choc full of info

http://www.ibd.org.uk/

Cheers

TB

I'm in the second year of the Ballarat course, and I think I'm the only one from Sydney in this year so there's no way I can do what the folks in Melbourne get up to with their get-togethers for study & sampling.

The course takes a bit of effort, but I guess like most things if you stick at the readings and do a little bit of work each few days, then you can keep up with it.

The surprisingly good thing is the online lectures. I was sceptical at the start but they seem to work quite well.

We have a one week residential this year - Ballarat in June so bring the woolies.

As for entry requirements, if you are already in the industry then it's straigtforward. If like me you're not employed within the wider brewing industry then you need to do a write-up stating your reasons etc for wanting to start the course. From what I understand you don't need to have a prior degree, heck mine's in Elect Eng majoring in Antenna & Microwave stuff.

Trev

holy shit, $8500 just for the certificate :eek:

i wanted to do this course.. but thats a lot of money.. think of the system I could build at home for that!

But you can defer your payments just like HECS or HELP or whatever its called and forget you even spent the money. The short course (5 days) costs $2200 so i think the certificate is good value in comparison.

Masters subjects are around $4k per subject. A Grad Cert is usually 6 subjects, diploma 12 and masters 18. I racked up $16k just in my grad cert business mgt (actually it was more cause i did 8 subjects).

if this is what you want to do for a living then the cost is negligible.

Latest posts

Back