Brew still bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albioninoz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an English Bitter brew kit fermenting that has been bubbling away for 2 weeks now at just under 20 degrees C. The interval is down to 4 minutes today after 2 weeks. Do I have to wait until it stops or can I reply of taking the SG over 2 days and checking it is the same? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ray

has it been 20C constantly?
what was the OG and what is it at now?
what is the yeast?

The temp may have gone up to the low 20s but was normally around 20. I ahven't been in the habit of taking the SG at the beginning - should I? I haven't taken a ready now, thyat was my question. I'm using a Burton Union yeast (M79). Hope this helps. Thanks.

That yeast at those temps should be done fermenting in about 2-4 days.

Definitely get into the habit of taking OG readings, it helps you to work out when the yeast are done and what ABV will be. Bubbling is not the best gauge as sometimes you will not see any bubbling.... The fact that yours is still bubbling may mean you have something other than yeast eating in there (hopefully not if your sanitation is good), but infections can happen.

i would go take a gravity reading, smell and taste your beer and report back. often an infection will be evident....
You would expect your Gravity reading to be around 1.008-1.012 for a kit like that to be done. But remember never bottle until you have a consistent reading over a few days, otherwise...... BANG....

beercus

Albioninoz said:
Hi all,

I have an English Bitter brew kit fermenting that has been bubbling away for 2 weeks now at just under 20 degrees C. The interval is down to 4 minutes today after 2 weeks. Do I have to wait until it stops or can I reply of taking the SG over 2 days and checking it is the same? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ray
Your a patient man waiting 4 minutes to see if your airlock is still bubbling: CO2 will still be released for sometime after fermentation is complete and a bubble every 4 minutes is probably just residual CO2 slowly making its' way out, rather than a sign of a currently active fermentation. I think you could safely assume it is done, but check the SG on two over two days and if stable bottle.

Hi Ray,
My notes.
1 can Coopers British Bitter 1.7kg and 1 can Blackrock Mild malt 1.7kg with kit yeast.Nice krausen after 24hrs,settling down after 3 days.Temp stable at 16-18C.Transfered to clearing vessel on 10/8/2014.Bottled on 11/08/2014.
Tasted last night after only 11 days in bottle.
Bloody bootiful.
Nice toffee taste and a very creamy head.
Will definately brew again.

Latest posts

Back