Brew Club Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleiny

There is no Charge for Awesomeness
Reaction score
I have decided to try and start a brew club in Bendigo as i can not find one within a good distance
Put a sign up in the local home brew shop

Bendigo Brewers
-Interested in joining a brewing club in Bendigo Vic
-Anyone Welcome
-Kit & Kilo, Extract, All Grain

Im trying to establish a club within Bendigo for brewers of the areawith monthly meetings.
Involveing brewing discussion, bulk buying, tasting / evaluation, trips to local breweries and brew days / social events.

Anyone interested
PM me
[email protected]

What i am looking for some advice from brew clubs already running as to how the club should operate and what legalities we have with a brew club.
Any help would be appreciated

kleiny :D

What i am looking for some advice from brew clubs already running as to how the club should operate and what legalities we have with a brew club. Any help would be appreciated. kleiny

Good on you for trying. When you get the responses, you need to decide whether you want a formal brew club (constitution, memberships, regular meetings) or informal (no structure, no membership fees, everything done ad hoc). Both formats work well - from what I read, Melbourne has excellently run formal clubs, NSW have successfully functioning informal setups. Best suited to the expectation and need of the members. No structure better or worse, just what suits the guys you get.

Good on you Kleiny, best of luck with the planning. I grew up in Bendigo, it's a great place. A real shame the Rifle Brigade no longer brews though...do you have any brew pubs left? My parents still live in Benders, so I get up there every couple of months (all the way from Melbourne...lol!).

Cheers
Dave

Thanks ive got around 5 people interested might have to hold a meeting in amonth to decide how the club will work best

bugwan
the rifles brewing equipment was sold to tooborac or tooby pub just out of heathcote so not far and their is holgate at woodend other than those i dont know of any. theres beechworth and a cuople in melb but they are bigger trips.

Thanks ive got around 5 people interested might have to hold a meeting in amonth to decide how the club will work best

bugwan
the rifles brewing equipment was sold to tooborac or tooby pub just out of heathcote so not far and their is holgate at woodend other than those i dont know of any. theres beechworth and a cuople in melb but they are bigger trips.

Worth the trip to Holgate, certainly - you could sell the idea to your significant other as a "weekend getaway", while it's really just a booze up...!

The last time I was at the Rifle, I asked the owner what was happening to the brewery (as the gear was all still there) and he said it had sold, but when the guy came to pick up the kettle, HLT etc he measured it and found it wouldn't fit in the new brewery :blink:! Sounds like someone worked it out though...

might be time to get something informal going in the west bugwan ... i know there is the westgate brewers but from what i hear they are pretty formal....

Congrats Klieny...

4+ years ago I started the Barossa Brewers Club - we are informal but have been going through a bit of anxt lately.

Some lessons learned and some good stuff.

1- Decide what u want - formal with membership dues, positions etc - not good as high costs and unless incorporated then committee members are liabel. We are informal.
Lesson learned - if you want informal choose a name like... Bendigo Brew Boys or Bendigo Brewerhood - do NOT mention the word club. Formal - then Bendigo Brewers Club or Bendigo BrewInn Club is OK.

2- We are a social Co-Op - wanted a group that gets together that instead of meeting at the pub for a drink - we meet the 1st friday of the month at somones voluntered house - share in bulk buys, social events, sample each others beer, in a friendly & comaradie atmosphere. Fridays alow people who drink too much the chance to sleep over etc.

3- we are in the process of drafting a statement of intent - that tells prospective members who we are and what we are about - this should help ileminate any future turmiol- suggest you draft one.

4 - only unwritten rule currently is taht ne w prospective members can't come to a meeting unless acompanied (vouched) by an existing member. - Looking to make this rule Written. Important as people are coming to your house - do not want strangers taht no one knows - different if in a Public Place aka club etc.

5- Looking at new prospective members getting to attend 3 meetings/functions/events - then the members get to vote on whether they become a member or not. This will give you a firewall and legitimacy in screening future members - keeping trouble makers out etc. (those that do not agree withthe direction/format of the club and what to highjack it)

6 - I approached some homebrew shops in Adelaide - as a co-op - we receive a discount on purchases etc. As such - i have alot of extras on the mailing list who dont attend gatherings but do orders (as i co -ordinate alot) and this helps to look after our sponsors.

7- Make sure you have fun. without Fun and a good bunch of guys who are there for pretty much the same purpose - it will fold.

8 - I get the guys to through in 5.00ea on the night into a jar for tastings - eg style nights like stout, belgians etc. It makes for a good night. The money is then used to buy the next tasting beers etc.

I can help you out with shirts and stubby holders at a later stage - Franko did the Barossa Brewers Club logo for our Polo Shirts.

PM Me if you ahve any other questions.

Best of luck with your endeavours.

i would join, bendigo being my home town and all but the flights from qld would be a killer, good luck thought, i will let my mates down thier know that its a possibility and if their interesetd i wil send you thier details.

cheers

Latest posts

Back