Brew bubbling out airlock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antex

Reaction score
I have put down many brews before and never had this happen.
Mind you I have never done this to a brew before either.

Coopers lager and can of coopers liquid wheat malt.
Boiled half tin of liquid wheat malt with galaxy hops for 30 minutes then added to fermenter with rest of stuff and std pack yeast. Next morning this is what I found

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433796369.015437.jpg

Any comments please?.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433796315.591236.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433796315.591236.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 28
just an active ferment mate.

Take it out, give it a clean, sanitise well, replace. Repeat as necessary.
Don't be overly concerned.

A nice healthy vigorous ferment! If you ever suspect this in the future install a blow off hose. (Run hose into a small bucket or jug)

I don't even pull the airlock out until its finished, paranoid to introduce something etc. Just clean off excess. Top up the airlock with Vodka.
Or replace it with a new clean airlock. Those airlocks aren't very cleanable I think I chucked mine.
This happens with my Chocolate Ale's so I use the other 2-3 piece airlocks that you can clean inside of.

It's a combination of lost of active yeast, lots of food (i.e. sugars) and a healthy temperature. For my high sugar ferments, I took to only putting in half the sugar for the first yeast pitch, and then once the initial burst of activity had slowed down, then I put in my second lot of sugar. For 'sugar', read malt, sugar, honey or dex (or all of the above).

WooHoo! Active fermentation! Gotta love that!

Nothing to worry about - be proud of it!

I had my first one of these too today, came home from work and there's crap everywhere, very proud...

As mentioned earlier, clean up's a bitch :blink:

I have been using Coopers kits and get this all the time. Instead of an airlock. seal a hose in the top of the fermenter and have it long enough to reach over into a jug with a few inches of water. Make sure the hose end is below the surface.. Any blow over of foam will end in the jug and not all over the top of the fermenter. If the jug overflows put the whole thing in a bucket
Cheers

Danscraftbeer said:
I don't even pull the airlock out until its finished, paranoid to introduce something etc. Just clean off excess. Top up the airlock with Vodka.
Or replace it with a new clean airlock. Those airlocks aren't very cleanable I think I chucked mine.
This happens with my Chocolate Ale's so I use the other 2-3 piece airlocks that you can clean inside of.
If one must clean the airlock, rinse in a stream of water and then soak it in caustic soda solution, but do use rubber gloves and goggles, add soda to water when diluting and don't use much soda. If you don't have caustic sda on hand, a new airlock might cost less.

Back