Brew Always Tastes Like Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing has been neglected in this kit vs extract vs AG debate.

Competition results - a true test of what is best.

When you look at comps like VicBrew you'll see plenty of kits and bits beers winning and beating a field of all-grainers and extracters. And plenty or extracts winning, and plenty of AG beers too. It's pretty even.

I can't speak for every year, but the 2006 VicBrew book I referred to lists 7 kit and bit winners that thumped the rest.
There was even an Imperial Stout winning brew was a double can kit with a few additions!

So let's get some perspective here. I think it is not about the tools you have at your disposal. But how you use them.

You can still win a race with a Mini Minor if those driving the Ferrari can't get out of first gear.

Hopper.

Since then all of my beers have cost ~$40 / 20-23 litres in ingredients and despite inevitable cock-ups "useful learning experiences" and a lot of procrastination "research" on this fine site my beer is improving and my .

Hi Shed,

How do you spend the $40 ? I have been using Coopers Cans @$12 and White Sugar (sorry) at about $2.50. I assume you are buying hops and using other yeast ?

Sandy.

I've always preferred the bolognaise analogy.

Kits = a jar of dolmio. 10 mins effort for something that tastes ok but you don't really know what is in the jar.

AG = fresh tomatoes, herbs etc and several hours of slow cooking. You know everything that has gone into the pot.

If you are short on time kits will produce nice beer, if you have the time and passion for the hobby then AG can make a wider range of beers using fresh ingredients and you have total control over the process.

The vast majority of AG brewers started life as kit brewers so i don't understand why some feel the need to look down their noses at kit brewers and their beers.

Whilst i haven't gone back to kits (or jars of dolmio) i still believe that with a few added extras; fresh hops, good yeast and if appropriate, some steeped grain you can produce very good beers that have won awards in the past.

When i first stumbled on this site i was a kit brewer and its something i refuse to forget. Which is why when people ask for a kit/extract/partial version of any of my recipes i am more than happy to help. I was helped so much when i first found this site and so its only fair that i repay that help by helping out newer brewers.

I'll take a well made kit beer over a crap AG beer any day of the week :icon_cheers:

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. apologies for the OT soap box.

Hi Shed,

How do you spend the $40 ? I have been using Coopers Cans @$12 and White Sugar (sorry) at about $2.50. I assume you are buying hops and using other yeast ?

Sandy.

Hi Sandy

I've used pricier ingredients - I refuse to shop at the Supermarket Duopoly (for anything) so pay a bit more for kits, i've used Munton's cans sometimes, dry malt at $6-7 / kg, hop bags, flowers and pellets and different yeasts, plus i've steeped grains.

Shed

Hi Shed,

Sandy.

At the end of my kit brewing days i was regularly spending >$40 per 23L batch

Kit - $15
Can of unhopped extract - $12-15
Spec grains - $2.50 - $5.
Hops - $5
Yeast - $5.

That's pretty much what i'm doing - except reusing yeast.

struth,
once you go above $40 that's getting up to fresh wort prices?
not inc postage etc if applicable.

My kits or extract with bits come in a bit over $30. Fresh wort kits are not an option for me because of freight, also a lot of control is taken out of your hands. I like researching a beer style and deciding what ingredients to use. Granted I don't have as much choice compared to AG.

My Oxford dictionary defines 'Home Brew' as "Beer or other alcoholic drink brewed at home".

I guess it depends on where the BEER is brewed.

If a BEER is brewed, from kit, extract or other form, at home, then that BEER would be classified as home brew.

I do agree that BEER made at home tastes different to commercially, mass manufactured beer.

Once you have crafted a BEER at home to your liking, and enjoy a few, there is no going back to your previously preferred commercial beer. Actually, the commercial stuff will taste 'off'.

Commercial beer is mass produced at a speed to get it to the consumer as soon as possible. It sure doesn't have the aroma or great taste it used to have when I had my first taste (about 45+ years) ago. In those days Reschs used to be my preferred drop. In those days beer was referred to as 'Nectar Of The Gods'. Today it's just a hopped, flavoured alcoholic beverage.

I have made a few Coopers kit BEERS at home and have settled on the Canadian Blonde and European Lager. Made to instructions with the addition of their No1 and No2 brew enhancer kits. I'm currently brewing a European Lager with Saflager S-23 yeast to taste the difference.

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll brew a BEER at home that you will be proud of.

Cheers

In those days Reschs used to be my preferred drop.

That reminds me, earlier in the week i was at the bottleshop, and a guy behind me was carrying a carton of resches to the counter. Simultaneous to this moment, but unrelated to him or me,one staff member asked another "where are the Tooheys cartons in the coolroom", Mr Reshes pipes up and says to no-one in particular "who bloody cares, its a shit beer anyway".

I would have liked to turn to him and say "nice call, ya drongo spastic, enjoy your goddamn resches" but I bit my tongue.

...AG can make a wider range of beers using fresh ingredients and you have total control over the process....

Spot on. Control over the process and ingredients is the major reason for switching to AG. Kit beers can be good, can be great in fact, but you don't have the same ability to tweak the final product like you do with AG. Like Dolmio, you can open the jar and make a few minor changes (add a bit of basil and pepper) but at the end of the day the base of the product is still going to be the same. You don't have the choice of using Roma tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, yellow rather than red capsicums, maldon sea salt rather than iodised table salt, etc etc. And thats the reason I make beer, cheese, sausages, salami, yoghurt, bread, and anything else that I can make at home with just a little more effort.

One thing has been neglected in this kit vs extract vs AG debate.

Competition results - a true test of what is best.

When you look at comps like VicBrew you'll see plenty of kits and bits beers winning and beating a field of all-grainers and extracters. And plenty or extracts winning, and plenty of AG beers too. It's pretty even.

I can't speak for every year, but the 2006 VicBrew book I referred to lists 7 kit and bit winners that thumped the rest.
There was even an Imperial Stout winning brew was a double can kit with a few additions!

So let's get some perspective here. I think it is not about the tools you have at your disposal. But how you use them.

You can still win a race with a Mini Minor if those driving the Ferrari can't get out of first gear.

Hopper.

I agree

It all depends on what you define as "good beer". Some award winning wines are nasty, but judges look for different characteristics to what the average drinker likes.

VB is a terrible drop, but is the largest selling beer in Australia.

Some people think Paris Hilton is pretty.

it's all about your perspective.

Latest posts

Back