Braumeister vs 3V: pros and cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acronyms aside, I have one of Nev's SS-HERMIT setups, which need to be taken apart to let the coil drain and empty the water from the exchanger body. I have to take out my false bottom as a little grain gets caught underneath it, it is pretty simple I just empty most of the spent malt, unscrew the nut and lift it out (I am not a fan of the idea of leaving rotting spent grain under my FB), so no that is not a typo. My brewstand does not allow me to tip my mash tun and since I am not a welder, that probably isn't going to happen so out comes the mash tun for cleaning. Silicon hoses stain (who cares), but they still need to be cleaned. If I don't spin my filter cartridges they will become the substrate for a new exotic ecosystem. My kettle gets crap stuck to the bottom, which only comes off with PBW. I don't see how I can avoid cleaning this stuff?? Everything needs to be dried before re-assembly as anything that I leave wet in my garage (except in summer) will quickly grow mold.

I have cut down on my brewday as much as I can, but if I skimp on cleaning crap will grow in and on my brew rig. It's just the limitations of my equipment and the weather where I live.

As you will GalBrew.
Only trying to help. :)

Not having one of Nev's SS-HERMIT fabulous setups I will never know what I'm missing out on? :lol:
Never get any crap stuck under my MT anyway & have never bothered draining water from HE in-between brews but sure I'll be enlightened sometime soon?

All the best in brewing.

GalBrew said:
Acronyms aside, I have one of Nev's SS-HERMIT setups, which need to be taken apart to let the coil drain and empty the water from the exchanger body. I have to take out my false bottom as a little grain gets caught underneath it, it is pretty simple I just empty most of the spent malt, unscrew the nut and lift it out (I am not a fan of the idea of leaving rotting spent grain under my FB), so no that is not a typo. My brewstand does not allow me to tip my mash tun and since I am not a welder, that probably isn't going to happen so out comes the mash tun for cleaning. Silicon hoses stain (who cares), but they still need to be cleaned. If I don't spin my filter cartridges they will become the substrate for a new exotic ecosystem. My kettle gets crap stuck to the bottom, which only comes off with PBW. I don't see how I can avoid cleaning this stuff?? Everything needs to be dried before re-assembly as anything that I leave wet in my garage (except in summer) will quickly grow mold.

I have cut down on my brewday as much as I can, but if I skimp on cleaning crap will grow in and on my brew rig. It's just the limitations of my equipment and the weather where I live.

Are you in FNQ Galbrew ?

I know your pain on the mould. In that kind of climate a meticulous cleaning regime is essential and hard to avoid. I find a smidge of PBW on one of those green plastic scourers removes all of the beerstone scale very easily from the boiler, while the mashtun is dealt with by garden hose and a wipedown. I then do the CIP with PBW in the mashtun and recirc in the RIMS system for 15 mins or so. Then drop the PBW solution into the boiler and recirc my plate chillers for 15 -20 mins using all my transfer hoses in the process. Then flush to waste with remaining hot water in the HLT.

I don't like the job but its a satisfying conclusion at the end of a brewday knowing you kits is ready for the next brew.

Goose said:
To add, don't get me wrong, I think the BM is an awesome piece of kit if it fits your purpose.

One distinct disadvantage of the BM is the fact you cant mash in a second batch while you are boiling your first, so if you want to do 2 or three batches in a day I am thinking it would take a lot longer with a single BM unit. Yeah you can have two of course... B)
Yes with my old 3V I did just that, mashed a second batch while boiling the first.

With my BM I do an overnight mash, I wake to start of the boil and then do a second mash while doing other things. I turned out 45lt with two batches on my old 3V, now I turn out 110lt with two batches in less time with my BM and with more free in between time while doing it.

It's not for everyone but hell it's for me!! :super:

Batz

Batz said:
Yes with my old 3V I did just that, mashed a second batch while boiling the first.

With my BM I do an overnight mash, I wake to start of the boil and then do a second mash while doing other things. I turned out 45lt with two batches on my old 3V, now I turn out 110lt with two batches in less time with my BM and with more free in between time while doing it.

Batz
Pretty much exactly why I want one.. Plug it in, fire her up and walk away for a few hours.. Brew pretty much when ever I want and don't have to alocate a good 6hrs to the process.

I don't need to have a jug in hand to experience re-circulating the wort to enjoy making beer.

Well it turns out Batz likes his BM.

I think... Let me check the previous six pages...

EDIT: yep...

Tahoose said:
Pretty much exactly why I want one.. Plug it in, fire her up and walk away for a few hours.. Brew pretty much when ever I want and don't have to alocate a good 6hrs to the process.

I don't need to have a jug in hand to experience re-circulating the wort to enjoy making beer.
Don't forget to put a post-it note on the yeast you want to use, otherwise it might pick the wrong one.

Batz said:

Batz
Do you get commission on these??? I get to the point of saying, nah can't spare that money right now, good as it'd be. Then I read your posts in this thread and start running the numbers again.

Got very close to just saying bugger it and doing it, glad I didn't. Savings goals!

Adr_0 said:
pedleyr said:
Do you get commission on these??? I get to the point of saying, nah can't spare that money right now, good as it'd be. Then I read your posts in this thread and start running the numbers again.
Got very close to just saying bugger it and doing it, glad I didn't. Savings goals!
If you ever get to meet Batz, you will find he is a man of few words and has no interest of pissing in any pockets. So when he does speak so highly of a product you know it's genuine with no hidden agenda.

Adr_0 said:
Don't forget to put a post-it note on the yeast you want to use, otherwise it might pick the wrong one.
You have to write it in German mine can't translate.

Sorry no more posts in the topic, I did think it was a pros and cons topic but.

Batz

bradsbrew said:
If you ever get to meet Batz, you will find he is a man of few words and has no interest of pissing in any pockets. So when he does speak so highly of a product you know it's genuine with no hidden agenda.
I know, and I absolutely respect that and wish I could taste some beers and see it /him in action.

I guess that looking back at the original intent of the thread trying to help the OP... ah never mind, I'm missing the point.

Carry on, i will keep to my 2V self. :)

Adr_0 said:
I know, and I absolutely respect that and wish I could taste some beers and see it /him in action.

Your not far up the road, next time your traveling down to the big smoke drop in and have a beer. Always welcome at the Batcave.

Batz

bradsbrew said:
My post was firmly tongue in cheek, Batz is clearly an advocate of a product he uses and believes in.

Batz I didn't mean any offence, I think you've been a good contributor to this thread and brought first hand knowledge, which the OP asked for.

Adr_0 said:
And he wouldn't be the only one

To like a BM, not Batz's BM specifically, thats probably illegal

I think it is a good thing that Batz is prepared to be so passionate about his BM.

There would be many BM owners on here that read this topic and then think, " ah! stuff it, I know how good one of these machines are, but if some want to be this critical then I will just let it go"

When the BM came onto the market it was the cost that was the main point of contention.
It has been said before.... Add up the true cost of your 3v Tidal Pete and others, I think you will be surprised.

I will defy anyone to claim that their 3v can be cleaned as easily as a BM. Even if the equipment is CIP it is still 3 vessels at least and then the hoses and fittings etc. and I have never had to use Caustic on my BM to get it clean.

I do frequent another forum more specifically based around the BM and I am amazed at the amount of new brewers that go and buy a BM and start brewing having never owned any other type of AG equipment...in my personal opinion, these are the smart ones!

If cost is the real worry then go steal a pillow case from the linen cupboard and a large pot from the kitchen and brew beer.

If cost isn't a problem then build a 3v system that somehow seems to manage you to keep your hand in your pocket for upgrades, replacement of hoses etc and if you put a value on your time then consider spending around half as much time again after brewing cleaning the machinery.

Or buy a BM, you wont regret it.

Edit;
Did I mention the set and forget mash schedule that lets you do other family or personal related things while it is all happening unattended.
Probably didn't need to, as Batz has already said that you can mash overnite while you are asleep and wake up in the morning ready for the boil.
This is a bit like Sous Vide cooking....now did I mention that...Oh Well!!!

I am only a few brews away from training my BM to clean itself and wheel itself back into its spot when finished. :)

I am already 2/3 and a HERM heat-X on my way to a 3v. Now I am building my version of a BM and will have another pot for doing BIAB. I can do them at the same time for 100L.

When I grow up I'm getting the 500L starter set (500L BM, 625L fermenter, glycol cooler, etc) apparently E36,750 all up from Spiedel.

And a divorce

As has been the case for the last couple of years, my end goal is to have a fully automated 3V brewery, with a small SCADA system to control and be able to tweak remotely, if need be. Motorised valves, a couple of flow/level switches and all-electric heating should be able to get pretty close to the mark in terms of full automation. You could probably get pretty close to having the electronics acquired for ~$1k (depending upon level of PLC/HMI).

Granted, this is purely a personal goal due my occupation and one which probably isn't widely shared. Unfortunately for me, I'm spending a little bit of cash getting there by trying a few different methods first (basic/STC Herms/PID Herms) but am happy to keep tweaking in order to know exactly how I want the brewery to run in the long term - where I'd like the inlets/outlets/valves positioned, and all the other fun, little intricacies that come with this hobby.

Once again, in saying all of that, I really can see the mass-appeal of the BM as it will essentially get you the above in a small, compact vessel.

Goose said:
Are you in FNQ Galbrew ?

I know your pain on the mould. In that kind of climate a meticulous cleaning regime is essential and hard to avoid. I find a smidge of PBW on one of those green plastic scourers removes all of the beerstone scale very easily from the boiler, while the mashtun is dealt with by garden hose and a wipedown. I then do the CIP with PBW in the mashtun and recirc in the RIMS system for 15 mins or so. Then drop the PBW solution into the boiler and recirc my plate chillers for 15 -20 mins using all my transfer hoses in the process. Then flush to waste with remaining hot water in the HLT.

I don't like the job but its a satisfying conclusion at the end of a brewday knowing you kits is ready for the next brew.
I'm actually down in Melbourne. In the cold/cooler months of the year I have to be super vigilant to make sure that everything in my garage doesn't grow mold. I get the full rainbow of colours....green, white, black! It's quite annoying and then in summer it's super hot and dry in there.

Back