Braumeister vs 3V: pros and cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dicko said:
I think it is a good thing that Batz is prepared to be so passionate about his BM.

There would be many BM owners on here that read this topic and then think, " ah! stuff it, I know how good one of these machines are, but if some want to be this critical then I will just let it go"

When the BM came onto the market it was the cost that was the main point of contention.
It has been said before.... Add up the true cost of your 3v Tidal Pete and others, I think you will be surprised.

I will defy anyone to claim that their 3v can be cleaned as easily as a BM. Even if the equipment is CIP it is still 3 vessels at least and then the hoses and fittings etc. and I have never had to use Caustic on my BM to get it clean.

I do frequent another forum more specifically based around the BM and I am amazed at the amount of new brewers that go and buy a BM and start brewing having never owned any other type of AG equipment...in my personal opinion, these are the smart ones!

If cost is the real worry then go steal a pillow case from the linen cupboard and a large pot from the kitchen and brew beer.

If cost isn't a problem then build a 3v system that somehow seems to manage you to keep your hand in your pocket for upgrades, replacement of hoses etc and if you put a value on your time then consider spending around half as much time again after brewing cleaning the machinery.

Or buy a BM, you wont regret it.

Edit;
Did I mention the set and forget mash schedule that lets you do other family or personal related things while it is all happening unattended.
Probably didn't need to, as Batz has already said that you can mash overnite while you are asleep and wake up in the morning ready for the boil.
This is a bit like Sous Vide cooking....now did I mention that...Oh Well!!!

I am only a few brews away from training my BM to clean itself and wheel itself back into its spot when finished.
Ok that's it. Changed my mind and it IS for me.

Getting two now, so I can get 110 litres done in 5 hours with lots of free time. I can always use my 3V RIMS as a giant Sous Vide machine ...

Batz said:
<snip>
With my BM I do an overnight mash, I wake to start of the boil and then do a second mash while doing other things. I turned out 45lt with two batches on my old 3V, now I turn out 110lt with two batches in less time with my BM and with more free in between time while doing it.
<snip>
Interesting...great way to break up a brew-day. Do you set your BM to mash temp for a certain period, e.g. 60/90 mins, then make it turn off, and let it sit at ambient overnight? Or do you try and maintain some kind of minimum temp overnight until you're ready to go the next day?

fraser_john said:
Hoses? If the 3V is built right there should only be one hose to move, that which recircs back into the mash being moved to the kettle to start the wort transfer. Same hose for connecting to CFC during cleaning phase.

Not hard at all? Or am I missing something?
Maybe I'm missing something, with a Kal clone electric brewery 3V HERMS you'd be using more than one hose during the recirculating mash.
HLT into pump back into HLT (to move the liquor and keep the temp consistent)
Mash into pump; pump to HERMS; HERMS back to top of mash.

That's 5 hoses by my count.
Not arguing that it's an issue, but it is more complex than a single hose. My system has 6 (using CFC as HERMs coil).

Braumeisters are awesome, 3V is awesome, every other configuration is awesome, beer is awesome. Who am I to judge your circumstances and what fits into your life better?

Not much I can add, regarding the favourable advantages of the BM, dicko, Batz and the others have covered just about everything, the only thing I could add is regarding the cost.Think of the time saved when using a BM, just for the time saved and the simplicity of its use makes the BM a cheap option.

barneyhanway said:
Maybe I'm missing something, with a Kal clone electric brewery 3V HERMS you'd be using more than one hose during the recirculating mash.
HLT into pump back into HLT (to move the liquor and keep the temp consistent)
Mash into pump; pump to HERMS; HERMS back to top of mash.

That's 5 hoses by my count.
Not arguing that it's an issue, but it is more complex than a single hose. My system has 6 (using CFC as HERMs coil).

Braumeisters are awesome, 3V is awesome, every other configuration is awesome, beer is awesome. Who am I to judge your circumstances and what fits into your life better?
That is indeed 5 - or 6 - but the majority of these can be hard plumbed in copper or stainless. Only one or two need to be flexible.

carniebrew said:
Interesting...great way to break up a brew-day. Do you set your BM to mash temp for a certain period, e.g. 60/90 mins, then make it turn off, and let it sit at ambient overnight? Or do you try and maintain some kind of minimum temp overnight until you're ready to go the next day?
Really long alpha and mash-out rests. More here: https://forum.braumeisters.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51

I feel as though I am staring through the window at the pilates class and treadmills by looking at that thread...

Well, I'm convinced. Father's day is coming up soon, I'll start making noises. Don't G&G have a 20% off everything sale about then usually? :) Although I believe stuff over a few hundred bucks is "only" 10% off. I wonder if that includes the 20l brau....

I think I'm half convinced too just quietly...

If I had the cash laying around I'd get one definately. Better value than a tinny, that just bleeds money.

carniebrew said:
Well, I'm convinced. Father's day is coming up soon, I'll start making noises. Don't G&G have a 20% off everything sale about then usually? :) Although I believe stuff over a few hundred bucks is "only" 10% off. I wonder if that includes the 20l brau....
Yes the BMs will be 10% off.

Ok...looks like I have some tinkering with Beersmith equipment and mash profiles to do...

I've only just finished building my 3v rig and this bloody thread has made me really think about a BM. Before purchasing thou must continue on with my rig to be sure i'm in this hobby for the long haul!

mje1980 said:
If I had the cash laying around I'd get one definately. Better value than a tinny, that just bleeds money.
BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand =BOAT :lol: :lol:

Big savings brewing your own beer and fishing off the beach or rocks :unsure: :unsure:

I think you need both.
A Brau for when time is limited and you just need to fill kegs(when new family additions delete all brewing time)
3V if you enjoy the brewing process as I do. I refuse to do any adding up but at a guess could have brought 2 Brau's for what my 3V has cost, however I don't think I would get the same satisfaction. 3V will take more time out of the day, involve more cleaning, give more flexibility, better replicate commercial brewing processes and provide a good way to spend a day in the shed.

If you are thinking about a Braumeister, I would wait. I'm working on something that will make it look like a pain to use.

I am, but for the moment my BIAB is simple and effective, and works fine.

lael said:
If you are thinking about a Braumeister, I would wait. I'm working on something that will make it look like a pain to use.
Care to elaborate ?

suchidog said:
Care to elaborate ?
What he said, because I am most certainly thinking. The same silly work hours which keep me from building my own are lining my pockets sufficiently that it's time to say "bugger it" and buy a turn-key system.

Now I just need the hours to be slightly less silly so that I can actually brew, regardless of my set-up.

Hmmm

Can't think of a single thing that makes my BM a pain to use other than my brainfarts, so intrigued

Latest posts

Back