Braumeister vs 3V: pros and cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only difference for me technique wise going to biab from 3v was I spent a lot less trips with a bucket from the hlt to the esky tun. The steps are the same. Mash, seperate the grain from the wort ( drain the bag, or sparge ), and boil. I had a 3v for 10 years, i wish I did biab 10 years ago.

that fits in the boot of your car?? what do you have a Mac truck car?

Grainer said:
that fits in the boot of your car?? what do you have a Mac truck car?
Believe it or not I have an old VL . The pots fit on the back seat .

If you build a brau clone you can build it to do High Grav. My large one will hold up to 18Kg of grain, and I can do a ridiculous batch size in it (up to roughly 100L of around 1040). I do appx 30L (around 28) of Quaddruppel in the smaller malt pipe with 10kg of malt.

Fits in the back of the hatch with a seat down. Using it now for sous vide chuck steak at the moment. Can't wait. I am super happy with it!

And honestly... I don't think learning to swap hoses or calculate infusions etc is 'real' brewing knowledge that 'should' be gained. Whatever system you use you will need to learn its in and outs. Having a programmable controller simply makes the mechanical steps of brewing simple. My next brewery will be fully automated ;)

lael said:
If you build a brau clone you can build it to do High Grav. My large one will hold up to 18Kg of grain, and I can do a ridiculous batch size in it (up to roughly 100L of around 1040). I do appx 30L (around 28) of Quaddruppel in the smaller malt pipe with 10kg of malt.

Fits in the back of the hatch with a seat down. Using it now for sous vide chuck steak at the moment. Can't wait. I am super happy with it!

And honestly... I don't think learning to swap hoses or calculate infusions etc is 'real' brewing knowledge that 'should' be gained. Whatever system you use you will need to learn its in and outs. Having a programmable controller simply makes the mechanical steps of brewing simple. My next brewery will be fully automated ;)
That's fine but you still need to understand the process behind making a beer and a drinkable that will leave you wanting for more .

beer belly said:
That's fine but you still need to understand the process behind making a beer and a drinkable that will leave you wanting for more .
Totally agree. I can't make better beer now than i did a year ago because I have a BM not a pot and a bag, but because I've read more, experimented more, learnt more, brewed more beer and tried to learn from what I stuffed up. Understanding why a beer is sh*t or awesome is everything and that means you have to understand the process. If you dont understand the process I can't see how you can understand how to apply that process on your system.

Blind Dog said:
Totally agree. I can't make better beer now than i did a year ago because I have a BM
But you can make the same beer constantly.

On my 3V this was almost imposable, it's very difficult to improve a beer if you can't have a start point. Now I can reproduce a beer that I have brewed that will be exactly the same.
To newer brewers this perhaps does not sound important, but it will.
Oh and don't tell me you can brew the same beer every time, I know you can't and so do you.

Batz

Well, he's already bought my homemade braumeister off me so every please talk up the pros of braumeister

You can read brewing books whilst your brau is mashing for you ;)

Batz said:

On my 3V this was almost imposable, it's very difficult to improve a beer if you can't have a start point. Now I can reproduce a beer that I have brewed that will be exactly the same.
Oh and don't tell me you can brew the same beer every time, I know you can't and so do you.

Batz
Had to read that a few times to understand it, but glad i did. I do have a BM. I was just trying to say that it doesn't make me a better brewer anymore than owning a Fender would make me the next Eric Clapton. But I do love that when I brew a great beer I can brew it again and again. Apologies If my post came across as something else.

Blind Dog said:
Had to read that a few times to understand it, but glad i did. I do have a BM. I was just trying to say that it doesn't make me a better brewer anymore than owning a Fender would make me the next Eric Clapton. But I do love that when I brew a great beer I can brew it again and again. Apologies If my post came across as something else.
I'm a dumb fu4k sorry.

With a BIAB rig, without a secondary pot is there a means for wort clarification that recirculating in a vessel with a false bottom or similar would achieve, simply?

Batz said:

Batz
Oh yes you can repeat beers on your own system . Its just a little trickier than a BM . It has been a year or so on my 2V HEX and I thought I would never repeat the same beer and then after tweaking and experimenting I have produced the same beer 4 times so far and will be producing it again this weekend . So it can be done but not with a flick of the fingers or button it just takes a little bit longer . Dam though I do make a good beer . This just comes with passion .

DJ_L3ThAL said:
With a BIAB rig, without a secondary pot is there a means for wort clarification that recirculating in a vessel with a false bottom or similar would achieve, simply?
A read a load of threads here, the biab forum and aha before buying a BM and I think the answer is maybe. It really depends on what 'simple' means to you. If you can pump the wort through the grain bed relatively slowly whilst maintaining mash temperature you should clarify the wort. Whether that makes the final beer from your bottle or keg clearer, seems to depend on who you ask. I reckon it does, but not so much that it makes any difference to the clarity of the final beer as I routinely use gelatin anyway and just increase the dose if I need to.

beer belly said:
Oh yes you can repeat beers on your own system . Its just a little trickier than a BM . It has been a year or so on my 2V HEX and I thought I would never repeat the same beer and then after tweaking and experimenting I have produced the same beer 4 times so far and will be producing it again this weekend . So it can be done but not with a flick of the fingers or button it just takes a little bit longer . Dam though I do make a good beer . This just comes with passion .
I had to go on a course recently with work and there was some **** presenter who said that anyone who spent 10,000 hours practicing something would be a world expert in that something. Weird that when I suggested he stopped breathing he did not recognize me as a world expert on the topic, even though I've been practicing it for quite a bit more than his 10,000 hours.

Point is you won't learn unless you want to or have to, and without passion you just don't want to.

IMHO you will NEVER be a serious & proper brewer until you learn how to master the process, the process, the process. ;)

I might be seen to be blowing my own trumpet, but I got into AG brewing long before March pumps (or any other pumps), grain mills, or even BIAB arrived in Oz & happily lived with a bodgied-up 3-vessel gravity setup (& less) until the aforementioned arrived & were available.

You young farts can thank your lucky stars for the multitude of brewing options you now have at hand in 2014 going onwards into the future.

After about 9 or 10 years of use, my SS HERMS still gives me much pleasure but I could/might/perhaps/possibly consider rolling over to a 50-litre BM if I win the Lotto one fine day & when I find I can't tie my shoe laces anymore. :p
Would never even consider getting a 20-litre BM because of its limitations & apologies to those who have them if I've upset you. :)
Each to his own I guess?

PS ---- I must admit that my HERMS costs over the years have probably racked up close to 2\3 of the dollars needed for a 50-litre BM purchase & that's building to a (tight) budget stretched out over quite a few years with not too much bling, but repeat that my expenditure was slow & steady compared with an up-front cost of a BM.

Just my 2-cents & input. I'm sure I'll get lots of nice responses?

YOUNG FARTS?

you charmer, you

My first ever proper job was sterilizing barrels at Butcombe brewery in the summer holidays; my second was picking apples for Thatchers cider. It was that or (note the spelling) plucking turkeys

young i'm not

Farts was a subject I intended to post about on the big fermenter thread (i forget how big as someone said something was a 'fact' and because that really means 'i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about but i have an opinion and you have to agree with me', i completely lost interest). what i was going to say was that gas moves from areas of high pressure (me) to areas of low pressure (outside me), hence i fart.

so my farts are probably young, but im not

however. i am a world expert on breathing as i have been practicing diligently and with a real passion for breathing (I find its rather important) for at least 10000 hours

feel free to randomly add punctuation, line breaks, spelling (in)corrections and other useful bits and pieces to my last post. My computer does

TidalPete said:
IMHO you will NEVER be a serious & proper brewer until you learn how to master the process, the process, the process. ;)

I might be seen to be blowing my own trumpet, but I got into AG brewing long before March pumps (or any other pumps), grain mills, or even BIAB arrived in Oz & happily lived with a bodgied-up 3-vessel gravity setup (& less) until the aforementioned arrived & were available.

You young farts can thank your lucky stars for the multitude of brewing options you now have at hand in 2014 going onwards into the future.

After about 9 or 10 years of use, my SS HERMS still gives me much pleasure but I could/might/perhaps/possibly consider rolling over to a 50-litre BM if I win the Lotto one fine day & when I find I can't tie my shoe laces anymore. :p
Would never even consider getting a 20-litre BM because of its limitations & apologies to those who have them if I've upset you. :)
Each to his own I guess?

PS ---- I must admit that my HERMS costs over the years have probably racked up close to 2\3 of the dollars needed for a 50-litre BM purchase & that's building to a (tight) budget stretched out over quite a few years with not too much bling, but repeat that my expenditure was slow & steady compared with an up-front cost of a BM.

Just my 2-cents & input. I'm sure I'll get lots of nice responses?
you'll get plenty of nice responses from anyone who actually read what you posted. I have a 20L BM, I wish I had a 50L but the quotes i got for a circuit upgrade were silly money, i've got 4 kegs on tap (probably each half full), 3 kegs conditioning, 4 fermenters in the fridge / garage and 3 cubes ready for yeast and i still want to brew this weekend...SWMBO thinks i need help, i agree. Problem is she thinks i need help with an addiction, and I think i need help to work out how to brew the perfect pint

Latest posts

Back