Braumeister vs 3V: pros and cons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK 10.8% would be pushing it with a BM, luckily I'm not interested in beers with that sort of alcohol.

Batz

Luke1992 where are you located??? there are a few different systems around my area in Melbourne..

mckenry said:
The BM will allow you to follow a recipe, step times, mash temps, boil etc without knowing much more than how to press buttons. (Simplistic I know, but basically with a set of instructions you could do it). With a 3V, you really need to understand where water goes at what temp and why, how long you need to heat to get to strike / sparge temp.
Its my belief you will get better beer from a BM with limited brewing knowledge compared to labour intense rigs.
You can still F up on a BM though. Just harder to do.
Yep so my suspicions were correct for myself. I love tinkering and I aspire to understand the full brewing process (one day). Therefore wouldnt want to miss out on knowledge thats not required with a BM.

I BIAB so looks like a natural step would be a small urn and an esky to mash in to really expand my knowledge whilst getting double batches (near enough) out of my keggle. Maybe a pump too.

If you like to tinker , be hands on and have the space a 3 V is the way to go . If you are all thumbs when it comes to building projects and have limited space then the BM is the way to go . Me I like to play , my system is a 2V herms and it has taken me nearly a year of brewing on it to get to the repeatability stage . It has been a great adventure so far for me .I love it .

beer belly said:
If you like to tinker , be hands on and have the space a 3 V is the way to go . If you are all thumbs when it comes to building projects and have limited space then the BM is the way to go . Me I like to play , my system is a 2V herms and it has taken me nearly a year of brewing on it to get to the repeatability stage . It has been a great adventure so far for me .I love it .
That and time; not just the time to brew and clean up, but the time it takes to learn how to put something together with all the bells and whistles without killing yourself in the process.

Blind Dog said:
That and time; not just the time to brew and clean up, but the time it takes to learn how to put something together with all the bells and whistles without killing yourself in the process.
That is why I went the 2V single tier and herms system so I didn't have to lift , fetch and carry and it makes the job just that little bit easier on the back . My original brew stand was a burner on a keggle and a mash tun . It was a pita , lifting filling and re-filling as I needed .

beer belly said:
That is why I went the 2V single tier and herms system so I didn't have to lift , fetch and carry and it makes the job just that little bit easier on the back . My original brew stand was a burner on a keggle and a mash tun . It was a pita , lifting filling and re-filling as I needed .
Yep, me too.

I'm not sure I'd recommend 2V to someone starting to be honest, as it needs some previous experience IMO to properly understand how to get the most out of it.

3V I also struggle to recommend unless you are ok with a very long time until your first beer building things as well as some $$ and investment in new tools, etc.

BIAB or BM will get you a beer a lot faster. In the case of BIAB you can move a mash to an esky for e.g. and learn all there is to learn about a separate mash and sparging; or you can throw a HLT/kettle and 20L bucket next to a Braumeister (after a few brews) and increase hte batch volume or OG.

So it really does depend on your personality... and budget. :)

Adr_0 said:
Yep, me too.

I'm not sure I'd recommend 2V to someone starting to be honest, as it needs some previous experience IMO to properly understand how to get the most out of it.

3V I also struggle to recommend unless you are ok with a very long time until your first beer building things as well as some $$ and investment in new tools, etc.

BIAB or BM will get you a beer a lot faster. In the case of BIAB you can move a mash to an esky for e.g. and learn all there is to learn about a separate mash and sparging; or you can throw a HLT/kettle and 20L bucket next to a Braumeister (after a few brews) and increase hte batch volume or OG.

So it really does depend on your personality... and budget. :)
I agree with the 2V and 3V . As it was it took a lot of experimenting and experience to get to where I am today with all the tinkering , like around three years from kits to kits and kilos , to all grain . My second brew stand was a three tier gravity fed system and then I purchased a pump and now I have a single tier system where I can sit and watch and enjoy the process of making and drinking at the same time . Budget wise I have been lucky as it has only cost me around $800 to go from single burner and mash tun to what I have now . It's not for everyone and that is why the BM was invented .

I don't believe anyone would buy a BM, or own a BM and be able to brew multiple brews without a full understanding of the process. Some of you must think BM's are some kind a white mans magic.

Batz

Batz said:
I don't believe anyone would buy a BM, or own a BM and be able to brew multiple brews without a full understanding of the process. Some of you must think BM's are some kind a white mans magic.

Batz
Your right there Batz . I believe it is a natural progression .

Batz said:

Batz
well, everyone sells it as though you just press a button, wait for the BING! and you have delicious delicious beer. are you telling me you have to crack your grain, stir your mash AND choke back your drain hose yourself?

in all seriousness, I was going to suggest you could probably program it certain ways or shorten/lengthen/skip steps if you want to learn the impact of different stages. I just don't know it well enough to say that with any shred of accuracy... you can also still play with grain crushes, water, and of course recipes...

Batz said:

Batz
You're spot on Batz. Brewing using a BM is brewing.... just with less time spent on doing the shit bits like cleaning and waiting around to monitor and control temperature.

I'm brewing tomorrow, I have cracked my grain and filled my BM with water.
Later tonight I'll press start, tomorrow I will wake to two kegs of Sasion carbed and ready to drink in the fridge. Oh I did put the yeast next to the BM as last time it picked the wrong one from the fridge.....stupid BM!

Batz

oh another note..took me 6 months to build my 4v from scratch.. BM you could be brewing tomorrow !!... They are great systems.. looking back my rig all up inc. all accessories cost more than a BM !! - but i loved building it and it looks SOOOOOO SEXY B)

Adr_0 said:
well, everyone sells it as though you just press a button, wait for the BING! and you have delicious delicious beer. are you telling me you have to crack your grain, stir your mash AND choke back your drain hose yourself?

in all seriousness, I was going to suggest you could probably program it certain ways or shorten/lengthen/skip steps if you want to learn the impact of different stages. I just don't know it well enough to say that with any shred of accuracy... you can also still play with grain crushes, water, and of course recipe .
I agree , but you still have to understand the process and it is a natural progression of this process . Anyone can read a recipe but if you don't understand how its made then the end result will be either good or bad depending on your luck . I have seen the end result of people using a 3V system with no idea of the process and turning out a product that is ok and them thinking if I buy a BM , my end result will be an award winning product , its not that simple

At the end of the day it us what u want out of it.. try al they systems at peoples houses (thats what I did).. figure out your budget cause it will be about $300-1000 more than what you think ..

At the moment there are BM, 2V, 3V, 4V and BIAB all producing award winning beers...

This is my system :)

post-27972-0-33197400-1383983436.jpg

Grainer said:
oh another note..took me 6 months to build my 4v from scratch.. BM you could be brewing tomorrow !!... They are great systems.. looking back my rig all up inc. all accessories cost more than a BM !! - nut i loved building it and it looks SOOOOOO SEXY B)
It took me 6 minutes to build my 2V and herms lol and it is still very sexy . Oh I just mounted my extra pump today its a LBP which will enable me to recirculate the sparge water with the mash wort at the same time without having to drain the mash tun and refill . The brew stand is 1200 cm long and it fits in the boot of the car . Great for ease of transportation .

if u got a truck..i can transport mine LOL..oh another advantage of a BM unless u go the 50L one !

Grainer said:
if u got a truck..i can transport mine LOL..oh another advantage of a BM unless u go the 50L one !
That is why I built this system
tn_gallery_5538_502_58946.jpg

Latest posts

Back